What about wearing pedometers?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
angelka71

What about wearing pedometers?

Post by angelka71 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:05 am

I don't think I've seen any posts about wearing pedometers.

I think I may start doing this and trying to increase my walking that way at first. Ya know, only taking one bag of groceries in at a time so you'll take more steps, walking around the grocery store a couple of times before leaving, parking further away?

I don't work outside the home and the kids school is too far to walk to everyday...though I may try parking farther away from the school and walking...sure the kids will love that. :lol:

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:40 pm

You can do all of those things without wearing a pedometer. I do. I also make opportunities to walk such as grouping my errands so I can park in one place and run several errands on foot. It is much slower that way but I get in a lot more walking, and I save gas to boot.
Heather

mjn

Post by mjn » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:51 pm

I wear a pedometer because I like to know how many miles, steps, etc. that I am walking. It makes me stay motivated and it is fun. There is a website all about walking 10,000 steps a day and the health benefits. I put mine on in the morning and take it off at night. It is amazing to see how far you can walk in a day. It's just another way to stay on track I think.

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:10 am

Great idea about grouping your errands together and walking to get them done. That's definately something I can do.

mjn, what website are you talking about? I'd love to check it out!

mjn

Post by mjn » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:59 pm

It is thewalkingsite.com. If you type in your search engine 10,000 steps a day it will show you some other sites. I think it is so fun and motivating.

zeahpug

Pedometer Walking

Post by zeahpug » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:41 am

I do this too. I wear a pedometer all day every day. At least 10,000 steps per day (usually more). I listen to books on tape as a motivator. It's amazing what little tricks you can come up with to add more steps.
BW: 176 lbs 6/08
CW: 174ish
Regularly walk over 10,000 steps per day with pedometer (Rural Ranger).
Goal weight 150ish.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:28 am

I wear a pedometer. My walking has increased about 48% since I started wearing it.

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:35 pm

Sometimes I wear my daughter's Pikachu Tamagachi(sp?) it acts as a pedometer. I would like to get one of my own though. It would be nice to have one that measures both steps and mileage. I know it can be done, but I don't know if they make any that do it. basically all you have to do is input the length of your stride. It is basically how a picycle computer works. You have to enter the size of your tire, and it measures how many times it goes around and multiplies.

I bought my wife an analog pedometer a while back and you set the stride length and it gave you miles, BUT it didn't count steps. Unfortunately we can't find it at the moment.

Anyone know of one that does both?

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:04 pm

Finnigan wrote:Sometimes I wear my daughter's Pikachu Tamagachi(sp?) it acts as a pedometer. I would like to get one of my own though. It would be nice to have one that measures both steps and mileage. I know it can be done, but I don't know if they make any that do it. basically all you have to do is input the length of your stride. It is basically how a picycle computer works. You have to enter the size of your tire, and it measures how many times it goes around and multiplies.

I bought my wife an analog pedometer a while back and you set the stride length and it gave you miles, BUT it didn't count steps. Unfortunately we can't find it at the moment.

Anyone know of one that does both?
Fin:

Most of them do. I have these two:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O3OHIY

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000U1OCI

and currently am using the first. It gives me time, distance, steps and calories (wildly overstated) and since it's also a digital watch/chronograph and countdown timer, I can use it to meditate, time dinner, etc. etc. as well. I am about to get a digital metronome as well so I can do a consistent speed as well.

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:15 pm

I like the looks of that second one, and the price is good too.

Hmmm...

zeahpug

Pedometer Walking

Post by zeahpug » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:17 pm

I Love the Accusplit Eagle. I've had it for several years and it has held up very well (been dropped, etc.) and seems to count fairly accurately.
BW: 176 lbs 6/08
CW: 174ish
Regularly walk over 10,000 steps per day with pedometer (Rural Ranger).
Goal weight 150ish.

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:31 pm

Well, I had an unusual winfall. I was at a flea market this weekend and happened upon 2 identical digital pedometers still in their boxes. They look a bit dated and the batteries were dead, but I got them for $1 USD each! I just got the battery today, so we'll see how it goes. It accepts my stride length (which turned out to be about 2.6 feet) and it is supposed to tell me steps and distance.

It's called a Count A Step by Kinetic marketing Inc.

I'll give it some use tomorrow.