Need motivation to walk? Get a dog!

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
Salamander

Need motivation to walk? Get a dog!

Post by Salamander » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:18 pm

Seriously, dogs are the BEST thing to force you walk several miles a day.

We have a beagle/hound mix, breeds that were bred specifically to trail game for miles and miles and miles. If he doesn't get at least two good walks a day, he runs like a maniac around the house and chews everything up. But, if I take him out for 2-3 miles in the morning, and 2-3 miles in the afternoon, and bring him along on my walking errands, he is a happy, mellow boy who sleeps most of the time!

He does not care if it is hot, or raining, or snowing, or whatever. No excuses. I lost 5 lbs. the first month we had him.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:22 am

How true! I have a cairn terrier who just loves ranging. We live in an apartment, so he has to go out several times a day. Once we're outside, might as well put one foot in front of the other...
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

paulawylma

Walk the dog

Post by paulawylma » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:25 am

Your post reminded me of a piece of advice I read in an exercise book back in the seventies. " Walk the dog, even if you don't have a dog."
Too bad I didn't take the advice back then.[/list]

larisa0001

Re: Walk the dog

Post by larisa0001 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:46 am

paulawylma wrote:Your post reminded me of a piece of advice I read in an exercise book back in the seventies. " Walk the dog, even if you don't have a dog."
Too bad I didn't take the advice back then.[/list]
I've often thought of getting myself one of these :

http://www.nightmarefactory.com/cgi-bin ... n&key=KA17