Suggestions on carrying items

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
mythos

Suggestions on carrying items

Post by mythos » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:58 am

When I go to work, I will park my car a distance away, which provides a decent walk back and forth. For work I need my laptop, so I carry that with me in a laptop bag. Now the problem that I'm having is that I want to also carry my lunch with me (since I can't leave the building to go get lunch). My lunch doesn't fit into my laptop bag, and carrying another bag has been too cumbersome to do on a regular basis. I was wondering if anyone had some good suggestions, I don't mind carrying a bit of weight, nor do I mind looking stupid to people passing by - I only care about carrying both items in a convenient manner.

botulf2000

Post by botulf2000 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:28 am

Depending on how big your lunch is, you could try to make something like this (furoshiki, japanese "bag" tied of a piece of cloth):

http://www.instructables.com/id/Furoshi ... o-Keep-It/

...and hang it on the outside of your laptop bag.

Or if you have too much money, you could by a bigger laptop bag, maybe a backpack model. Or if you have a backoack that's big enough for your lunch and your laptop bag, that could be a solution. If you have a backpack that you feel would protect your laptop well enough, the laptop bag isn't even needed.

I've carried my laptop in an regular backpack together with other things, but my laptop is very old and I don't have anything on it that I couldn't easily replace is it would break. Since you use your for work, I'm duessing it is more important.

mythos

Post by mythos » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Regrettably, my bag is a fairly large laptop backpack bag, but it's full of the laptop and other items needed for work (too bad I don't feel safe leaving some of it at work).

The link you provided proved to be very helpful, I used it today (yep, I work Saturdays), and it worked wonderfully. Though I think I will invest in a different color, pink just isn't my color.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:37 pm

I just go into work looking like a pack-mule.

On a daily basis, I carry in:
My laptop in its case
My purse (not small)
My workout clothes (since I walk down to the gym, and the exit is in the direction opposite the parking lot)
A general bag that holds lunch and books and random other items.

Mind you, I don't walk all that far from my car with all this.