As if No S wasn't good enough

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
VintageGeek

As if No S wasn't good enough

Post by VintageGeek » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:35 pm

Dude. This is totally what I do. I just never thought to give it a name (or write a poem about it, but I'm totally going to do that now). People think I'm crazy because I ride the bus even though I have a perfectly functional vehicle at home. My answer is that I like it. My daily commute includes about 45 minutes of walking, with a specific goal. I love finding shortcuts behind buildings and glancing into dumpsters as I walk by them (it's weird, I know, but I used to be an avid dumpster diver). This 45 minutes doesn't include the 30 minutes or so I spend during lunch just wandering up and down the street, in the rain or the cold or whatever, just checking stuff out.

I even have the Strider fantasy sometimes; I imagine that I'm on some sort of quest, or that I'm passing on to the next village, and I write little stories about it in my head while I'm walking, which is the only thing that's kept the mundane nature of my work from driving me slowly mad.

Anyway, I just thought I'd tell you that I GET IT, all of it, the diet, the Shovelglove, the Urban Rangering. So thanks for doing it and making it a "thing," you know? It's all really cool.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Dude. This is totally what I do. I just never thought to give it a name
It's funny how powerful naming things can be. If you're doing something good, and you name it, you're more likely to keep on doing it. Plus it makes it a lot easier to communicate to others.
or write a poem about it, but I'm totally going to do that now
Post it here when you do. Urban Ranger could be a whole genre instead of just one poem :-)
Anyway, I just thought I'd tell you that I GET IT
Thank you! That is good to hear -- especially from a fellow Tolkien enthusiast.

Reinhard

P.S. Nice avatar! Ultima?

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:44 pm

reinhard wrote: It's funny how powerful naming things can be. If you're doing something good, and you name it, you're more likely to keep on doing it.
I never actually thought about it like that before, but now that you mention it, that does seem to be true across the board.
reinhard wrote:Nice avatar! Ultima?
Final Fantasy I. Admittedly, I'm a particularly hopeless geek for the Final Fantasy series.
8-bit is still awesome.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:21 am

I found myself having a "This guy thinks like me!" moment when I first stumbled onto everydaysystems.com some time ago.

I find myself often doing the Strider thing in my mind as I walk and am a huge Tolkien fan. The mental imagery behind most of the systems is a very strong part of why they work so well for me. I naturally like to think that way and it creates such an enjoyable way to do things.

I even imagine myself in Hobbiton when I tend my garden sometimes and I’m always shovelgloving my "farm land" :oops: :)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:14 am

Dumpster Diver? When I was 16 I worked at BK. One day I took the trash out. Some homeless dude was in the dumpster eating 1/2 a Whopper and drinking someone else's Coke. I didn't see him and dumped a can load of trash on him. Poor guy came jumping out of there. I took off running. :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:15 am

I just saw Lord of the Rings on a DVD. I am 56 years old and never before saw movie or read books. I liked movie but I think I am missing something, as I don't really understand why it is so popular. Is it supposed to be symbolic, or have some message, because I cannot get it.
As for dumpster diving, I used to do it for a living, sort of. After 9/11, I transferred to counter-terrorism and one thing we used to do was search the garbage of suspected terrorists. It is amazing how much information is in the garbage, and it is public domain and no need for warrants. I used to do same thing when I was a private investigator. One safe house used to use a shredder. However, this is not foolproof. We would reassemble the shredded documents and it is not as hard as it sounds. Like a crossword puzzle. FYI, if you shred stuff, do it lengthwise instead of up and down. It is harder to put together. US govt. has a machine that reassembles shredded documents by computer. If you throw a thousand shredded files in it together, eventually it will put them all together. That is why NSA and others shred stuff first but then burn it.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:13 pm

I just saw a quotue (maybe here) somewhere. To a European as soon as they walk out of a building, they are out of doors. It's all in the perception.

Jon
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

AimingForVegan

the power of naming

Post by AimingForVegan » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:15 pm

"The power of naming the good thing"! This is so brilliant! No S is so brilliant! Everyday Systems is so brilliant! A haiku!

name the good thing and
it thrives...supported by words
and walks and REINHARD

koopa

Re: the power of naming

Post by koopa » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:43 pm

AimingForVegan wrote:"The power of naming the good thing"! This is so brilliant! No S is so brilliant! Everyday Systems is so brilliant! A haiku!

name the good thing and
it thrives...supported by words
and walks and REINHARD
The last line was a bit of a stretch, no.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: