cellulite

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
donnao

cellulite

Post by donnao » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:27 am

i have recently given up running because it seems to be making the cellulite on my legs and butt WORSE ( i swear on a stack !)

has anyone seen improvement in cellulite with their walking program ?

if so, how often and how long do you walk ?

Thanks !
Donna O

VintageGeek

Post by VintageGeek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:10 pm

The cellulite is probably getting worse because running makes your muscles firm up quickly, not giving your skin and other fleshy bits time to respond the way they're supposed to. It's like the liposuction phenomenon - get rid of all that fat quickly, but the skin is still flabby looking.

That said, while I don't have any direct experience with cellulite getting better/going away because of walking, I imagine it's a much more natural and gentle way to slowly build muscle tone. Theoretically, it should help with cellulite, since you'll be giving your skin time to react appropriately to the change in your shape.

It'll take more time, but it should be effective. You might also look into daily lotion application or regular massages. That kind of constant stimulation has a tendency to return pliability to the skin.

As far as how often and how long to walk, that's really going to be up to you. If you've been a runner for a while, you can probably do quite a bit of walking. Do as much as you like, or as much as you can, whichever sounds better. You can multi-task while you're Urban Rangering too - I like to walk down to the grocery store and pick up a few things. You could get an audiobook and listen while you walk. You could compose poetry in your head, or catch up with a friend on the phone. It makes the sacrifice of your time a bit more bearable.
8-bit is still awesome.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:36 pm

Yep I second the massages suggestion!
It does help if you get moderately deep tissue work on a regular basis.
I am a massage therapist, btw.
It's amazing how these fluids build up in our tissues. That's what causes the cellulite to show.. The extra water retention in the tissue. So the more flushing you can do, either with drinking more water, to trigger the release of the retained fluids, and manual circulation through massage, is a great plan.

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:48 am

I think adding some yoga, pilates or T-tapp occasionally to a walking regimen is a good strategy (this kind of exercise can be a good way to stretch after a long walk too).

Nothing major, just 10 - 15 minutes every day or every other day can be enough. I think these kind of exercises really help stimulate and clear out the lymphatic system. Out of the above mentioned exercises, T-Tapp has had the most dramatic results with the least amount of time commitment in my experience. I think walking adds a cardiovascular benefit on top and tones up the leg muscles generally.

The above strategy has helped with my cellulite issues (which I've had since the age of 13 regardless of how thin and active I've been :roll: I think maybe some of us are just genetically prone to it or something).

Just my 2c :)