So, Rangers, anyone looking ahead to the cold weather?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
Mounted Ranger!

So, Rangers, anyone looking ahead to the cold weather?

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:24 pm

I really am enjoying my ranger expeditions (mounted and otherwise) but i'm looking ahead to the winter. They can be bitterly cold here.

As an urban ranger I walk every week day with my dog (usually with daughter, frequently with husband) in the evenings after supper. It's already dark enough that we need to carry a flashlight or lantern so drivers can see us. In addition, my daughter and I often ride our bikes to he park or library, et c. Soon, it will just be freezing out there and I'm wondering how you northern/cold weather rangers manage.

Tips, tricks, gear?
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:34 pm

Get the best, warmest boots you can afford.

I'm from the South, where dainty shoes are more common, and indeed, are my preference.

But every year, come November or so, I bless the fact I got talked into buying some ugly, clunky, really heavy boots with a thick tread and removable lining.

I've replaced the linings, I've replaced the laces. But the treads are still great and after almost nine years they still keep my feet warm and dry. They may be ungraceful, but in cold or wet weather, they are boots of ass-kicking awesomeness.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:44 am

Winters are pretty cold in Minnesota. I don't mind that so much, because you can wear good clothing for warmth and protection, but I really hate walking on ice. Too slick.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:04 pm

I don't bike when it's cold, I really hate the cold wind blowing at me. I know some people bike year-round but I am not one of them!

When it starts to get really cold, I just bundle up. On the very coldest days I'll even wear long-johns. Wool socks are great. Obviously you need good boots, hat, mitts, and scarf too, as well as a coat that will protect you. The nice thing about the cold weather is if you get hot, you can always take off a layer.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:52 pm

I'm not thrilled about walking in the cold, but both the dog and I need the exercise. I'd rather walk in the cold than the heat. I can always add more layers if necessary; I can't always remove enough (and not worry about getting arrested for public indecency) when it's hot.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:06 am

For walking in the winter I use lightweight thermal underwear, wool socks and running T-shirt and running pants and jacket. A wool hat and good gloves. Gore-Tex treated winter boots. It's lightweight and is wind-proof and keeps the body temperature. Also, this entire ensemble is breathable, so you won't be soaking wet in sweat which is dangerous in cold weather.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.