urban ranger with back injury

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
chiangmaiboss

urban ranger with back injury

Post by chiangmaiboss » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:17 am

I have seriously screwed up my back by overdoing these stretching exercises. I was planning to spend a week as a Buddhist monk at the wat so I was sitting in lotus position which is hard for me anyway and I stretched my back too far and now can barely walk or get out of chair. I still manage to do push ups and even Hindu squats but I have to do those very slowly. However I still walk every day, with walking stick, but usually just around the village where I live. I go as fast as I can which is not very fast as I cannot take large steps, so I try to take small steps but do them quickly and people must think I am an idiot. Does anyone here have experience with back injuries and exercise. I am taking muscle relaxer and ibuprofen but doesn't seem to help much.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:23 pm

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear it.

I'm afraid/grateful I don't have any experience in that department...

How long has it been now?

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:07 pm

Get a massage!!
Feel better soon :)
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:43 am

Thanks Reinhard and Deb. I hope neither of you go through this. The main problem here is that I am an idiot. I injured myself in the first place by stretching too hard. Then yesterday despite the fact I cannot get out of the chair I did 100 push ups so now I am even worse. I go to pharmacy to get medication. You can get just about anything here without a prescription. Pharmacist gave me a bag of pills labelled only muscle relaxant. I dont know what they are but they don't work. I walked quite a bit today with walking stick and this is only thing that relieves the pain. That and massage as Deb says. My wife gave me massage but didn't help until her sister told her to press on upper legs instead of back and that really helped. It is the common practice here that children of rice farmers, who always have back and leg pain from working bent over all day, massage their parents at night and this is why they know about this stuff. Here is a tip I learned from this ordeal. If you have back injury you can still get good exercise from walking by going uphill and by talking short but quick steps.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand