I want to join...

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
mrsj

I want to join...

Post by mrsj » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:58 am

I just love the expression Urban Ranger. I want to join. I'm very lazy, so to walk every day I'll be posting a daily check in. Please feel free to comment, suggest or give positive criticism. If I don't commit myself to posting every day I won't walk every day and I NEED THE EXCERSIZE!

O.K. Today I'm going to Urban Range (just love that) into town to do a little shopping. I'll have my backpack on, so I won't buy too much. It takes me 12 minutes to get to town plus going from shop to shop. I'll have to sit down for a few minutes, because I'm too heavy for my joints. But-I have to start somewhere!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

Kevin

Re: I want to join...

Post by Kevin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:16 pm

mrsj, that's a great start. ANY start is a great start. And don't worry about increasing it too much for a while either - just stick with it.
mrsj wrote:I just love the expression Urban Ranger. I want to join. I'm very lazy, so to walk every day I'll be posting a daily check in. Please feel free to comment, suggest or give positive criticism. If I don't commit myself to posting every day I won't walk every day and I NEED THE EXCERSIZE!

O.K. Today I'm going to Urban Range (just love that) into town to do a little shopping. I'll have my backpack on, so I won't buy too much. It takes me 12 minutes to get to town plus going from shop to shop. I'll have to sit down for a few minutes, because I'm too heavy for my joints. But-I have to start somewhere!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:51 pm

Anything is better than nothing! It helps to build up the exercise. It'll get easier. Again, welcome!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:34 pm

Welcome!

Once you make purposeful walking a habit, it'll be difficult to even imagine not doing.

Far from dreading it, you'll look forward to it as a joy.

Time to yourself, time to think. Time to observe. Time to listen to an audiobook. And you get somewhere.

Reinhard

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:40 am

Good for you MrsJ. I used to walk in jungle with mountain rescue team but then got herniated disk and could barely walk at all. I started walking with walking stick and got up to 14 miles one day but very slow and painful. Now pain is almost gone and I walk every morning. I walk to coffee shop and bring stopwatch. If I have time I go to coffeeshop which is 20 minutes away, so walk 40 minutes. If no time I go to coffee shop which is 8 minutes away so 16 minutes. Every time I walk I try to travel the distance in less time. Then later I do elliptical machine remainder of time until I get to 60 minutes. Now I am opening my own coffee shop so I will walk there I guess but it is only about 5 minutes away but I will make up time on machine.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand