More people walking?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
Too solid flesh

More people walking?

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu May 20, 2010 7:22 pm

I read something in a UK magazine saying that lots of people are giving up their expensive gym memberships, and taking up walking instead. In my local area there seem to be masses of plump women of a certain age striding briskly along in shiny new running shoes. Are people observing this elsewhere?
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Fri May 28, 2010 9:20 pm

Yes - I've noticed this, too. I live in quite an affluent area (I live in the small, cheap houses!) and often see women of a certain age walking, or couples out together in the evening. I suppose it's a good time of year to do this - not sure if they'll still be out there in November :D

Scrybil

Post by Scrybil » Mon May 31, 2010 12:20 am

My husband and I enjoy walking to dinner, walking to the grocery store, etc. We live in a fairly affluent area. I will tell you- NO ONE walks to get places! They drive 1 mile to the gym to exercise - cracks me up!
~Scrybil~

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:01 pm

I haven't noticed women of a certain age (of which I am one) so much as I've noticed younger couples.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Too solid flesh

More people walking?

Post by Too solid flesh » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:06 pm

I am also a woman of a certain age with new trainers! It looks as though this may be a UK phenomenon. We have a long tradition of Going For A Walk here, and particularly the elderly people I know make a habit of going for a constitutional.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:15 pm

Is it a female/couple phenomenon? My dad loves to go for a walk, but since my mum died last year he feels he can't do it because he thinks men walking alone is seen as very threatening in our society. He has considered getting a dog to show that he has a reason for walking, but doesn't really want the commitment.

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:43 pm

That's really odd. I can't say I would think a man walking alone is threatening at all. I see men walking alone all the time. OK, it can be a little nervous-making if I'm walking alone at night and there's a man walking alone behind me... but really. That's my issue, not the man's!

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:22 pm

idon'tknow wrote:Is it a female/couple phenomenon? My dad loves to go for a walk, but since my mum died last year he feels he can't do it because he thinks men walking alone is seen as very threatening in our society. He has considered getting a dog to show that he has a reason for walking, but doesn't really want the commitment.
It's a shame that your dad feels hesitant to walk if it is an activity he enjoys. It's true that, overall, I see more women and couples walking for exercise, without dogs, but that isn't exclusively the case. I can think of a few men who are avid walkers in my neighborbood.

If he feels strange about walking on his own perhaps your dad could wear an MP3 player when he goes out? When I see someone out walking or running who is wearing an MP3 player it is a clear signal that that person is doing his or her own thing and exercising.

Or, does your dad have a friend he could walk with on a regular basis? My next door neighbor and across the street neighbor are both retired gentlemen who have wives in ill-health. They have been walking buddies for years now. They walk 6 miles a day, 5 days a week, when the weather permits, and they both look forward to their walks.
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:35 pm

I think it's a shame too - and I'm not sure if he is just using this as an excuse because he misses walking with my mum.
Thanks for the suggestions - the mp3 player is a good idea - I'll suggest that to him. I've suggested finding a walking buddy - I think he will do that eventually - it probably just needs to be the right time.

JohnSnow

Post by JohnSnow » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:41 pm

I think there's a stigma (in America at least) that says men should either RUN or BIKE for exercise, and drive to get where they're going.

It's certainly an active stigma in many areas. I personally am looking forward to changing it. I live in a community in the San Francisco area where I can run many (but not all) of my errands on foot. I'm trying to take urban rangering to heart, but it's going to be difficult when I start working.

Now, if we could get a ferry to SF going again from the marina less than 2 miles from my home...