My husband won't let me walk anywhere!

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
cricket

My husband won't let me walk anywhere!

Post by cricket » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:08 pm

I am new to this forum, but loving the idea of No-S and Shovelglove/Urban Ranger. The problem is....I would LOVE to walk to the store, around the neighborhood, etc,. but my husband is so freaked out about "weirdos" out there, that he makes me drive. And unfortunately, I have been unsuccessful at getting him to take the walks with me.

This frustrates me because I live a 1/2 mile away from a Target, Office Depot,etc. shopping structure and I would love to just walk to and from there when I run errands, but he won't have it. He doesn't even like me taking a walk with the kids around the neighborhood.

I don't want to cause a fight between us, but anyone have any advice on how I could change his mind???

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:11 pm

I don't know, to me, it seems like you're an adult and he is your husband, not your father. I would stand my ground and say I'm going to do what I want, and I would damn well walk to Target! It might cause a fight the first time but once he sees you're fine and it's good for your health, he should get over it.

botulf2000

Post by botulf2000 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:53 am

When people are freaking out over how dangerous your hobbies are, one nasty trick is to compare the statistics. How many people are hurt doing your hobby? Compared to how many are hurt driving around in a car? Driving is a lot more dangerous, when the numbers are compared, even when compansating for number of participants.

Well, maybe not if your hobby is climbing Mount Everest or something, but even seemingly dangerous activities like martial arts are a lot safer than driving to practice.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:10 pm

It's sweet that he's so solicitous of your welfare, but this sounds a little excessive.

Is your neighborhood very dangerous?

I guess I'd gently suggest to him that inactivity is dangerous, too.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Reinhard

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:37 am

I teach women's self defense course here in Chiang Mai and this is how I would answer your question. Firstly, I do understand and appreciate your husband's fear. However I do feel you should be able to take a walk.
If you lived ina really dangerous neighborhood, then drive to a safe one and walk there. Otherwise there are other steps you can take, such as following.

1-Get a gun permit, learn to use weapon safely and carry it.
2-Get a big dog to walk.
3-Carry pepper spray.
4-Carry cell phone where it is quickly accessible.
5-Take self-defense course.
6-Walk during daylight hours in heavily populated areas.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:30 pm

You could also carry a shovelglove. :-)

The idea of being shot is unappealing. But the idea of being whacked with a sledgehammer would make even the most hardened thug think twice.

Plus you burn extra calories by lugging it around.

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:31 pm

Dude, you are so good at sneaking Shovelglove in!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)