groceries and urban rangering

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
ceu

groceries and urban rangering

Post by ceu » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:36 pm

I've been trying to work in walking from work to get groceries a few times every week. So far it's been quite nice. I am enjoying two benefits: a) sleeping better from increased exercise b) fresher produce from only buying what I need.

Combining this with my daily walk to and from work and a little (read: tiny) amount of stationary biking, I already feel quite a bit better.

navin

Post by navin » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:39 am

There's just somethign satisfying about walking to the store... it's as if when you eat the food, you feel like you've really earned it. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:54 pm

This is a great habit, ceu. And navin is right about it being a great way of combining exercise output and food input. Too often we've lost the sense that there's any connection between the two.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:56 pm

I agree. My wife and I live a mile from Whole Foods Market and a mile and a half from the "regular" grocery store. Since we no longer have a car (thanks Katrina), I walk to both places a number of times a week. It's a solid work-out thanks to the rolling hills of Austin (something I never had to deal with in New Orleans) and it's even kind of fun when I remember to bring along my iPod.

I love walking everywhere and really only miss having a car when we need to make large grocery runs.