Born to Run or Born to Walk?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
fwinter

Born to Run or Born to Walk?

Post by fwinter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Following in on from Reinhard's mention of the Born to Run book (which I have also read) - would you say we were Born to Walk or to Run?

I feel that I am born to walk as I could do this for hours most days without rest periods and without feeling the need to overeat when I get back - a very important and often overlooked point if using exercise to help with weight control.

Walking, for me, is effortless - running is quite the opposite.

In cultures where people are brought up to run from the off at a very steady pace then I could see how the 'born to run' thing might apply. But running as a leisure activity in the western world seems to be all about effort, even if one were to follow the 'slow burn' approach of the likes of Stu Mittleman and Phil Maffetone.

I will stick with regular, short amounts of walking, swimming and (gentle) cycling for my exercise, as personally I don't think there is any need for anything else to live a healthy life.

As for weight management, I think that starts and ends with what (and how much) you eat, NOS being the perfect template to use for this.

Or am I alone in this?

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:17 pm

To each their own! I exercise every day, and I vary the intensity. I am hooked to the feeling you get after pushing yourself beyond what is comfortable. I am a runner but also a walker. On the other hand, I have many friends who are more like you, and they are slim and healthy. Whatever works!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.