Anti-social media use

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
Blithe Morning

Anti-social media use

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:15 pm

I'm in the process of reading Jaron Lanier's Ten Reasons for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now.

His main thesis is that the monetization of our attention has caused social media to become addictive. It goes beyond advertising to full on behavior modification. I'm still processing his ideas and not sure I agree 100%.

Still. He makes some solid arguments about the negative effects of social media on us individually and socially so even if I don't agree with his ideas about why social media is so toxic I do agree with his assessment that it is. I am mulling over how to use social media, particularly Facebook, for good and not evil. And maybe closing my account is where I will end up, I don't know.

I'm in need of a system to manage social media. Weekend luddite doesn't quite work for me for an everyday system as I picked up some side gigs that require computer work on the weekends. The behavior I want to address isn't being on the computer but social media.

I am thinking of tweaking the Luddite into Anti-Social Media Use. No social media between dinner and breakfast on weekdays and breakfast and dinner on weekend. I am hoping that No S Diet dynamic of limiting access nudging you to improve content will also be present with Anti-Social Media Use.

As an aside, social media use on my phone isn't a habit. This is a direct result of needing reading glasses. I can't see it well on my phone unless I want to dig out my glasses which I rarely do. But just to be on the safe side, I took FB and Twitter off my phone and buried Instagram which I find oddly unsatisfying way back in the pages.

ColleenFoxworth

Re: Anti-social media use

Post by ColleenFoxworth » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Everyday system is instilled for the individuals. All the parts of the function are met and review of edusson.com is shared for the humans. The use is done for the functional items for the people.