Ari's Weekend Luddite

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
Losingthediets

Ari's Weekend Luddite

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:53 am

My original New Year's Resolution was actually going to be to restrict tech usage in some way that would free me up to do more that I find fulfilling and restful.

So on January first, officially, I will be starting the Weekend Luddite Everyday System on top of my efforts with No S!

Basically I'll referring to Mon-Fri as N days and Saturday as S Days, like with No S

I will not be doing breakfast to dinner, cause I don't eat at consistent enough times for that to reliably be somewhere near 12 hours a day.

I will do 9 AM and PM.

The Tech I will be restricting will be social media app and web browser usage, since those are personally my problem areas (actually playing video games would be more restful for me than what I actually do with my computer time as it is).

On N-Days, restrictions will be before 9 AM and after 9 PM. On S Days, restrictions will be between 9 AM and 9 PM.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:26 pm

So I decided that instead of dividing it by N Days and S Days, id go by work schedule. Anyway.
Today was supposed to be day one but I’m not doing great, as I’m off work and talking to you guys right now, at 12:24 PM. I’m cuttitn myself some New Years slack tho. I’ll keep reporting to y’all for a week, hoping this way will work. If not; I’ll have to take my next step. Delete social media off my phone and go pure Weekend Luddite. Restrict everything to the computer and make the computer what’s restricted

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:07 am

Not doing great at paying attention to my 9 AM-9 PM thing. In the morning before work (I'm typically awake from 7 AM) I'm more concerned with habit and not feeling overwhelmed about the workday coming my way (as I'm still struggling with my new work position) and I'm typically trying to feel a little better with Twitter before I'm awake enough I remember I'm not supposed to be allowed yet. There's a lot less build up and deliberate-ness in my making the decision to break this one- whereas with no S I have hours between my meals and loads of steps to get the things I want, with my time cutoff I just have to reach for my phone and hit a few buttons so habit for me I don't typically process I hit them.

This all probably means I'm going to have to go classic Weekend Luddite at the end of the week, as I'd expected- I'd do it tomorrow or something but tbh I'd like to at least try one Weekend of Luddite before I decide this weekend Luddite is unhelpful.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:28 am

Still haven't done it. Will check back in when I've either improved or when I've cleared week one and tweaked my rules to something I'm more likely to actually do.