Podcast#72: State of the Systems, 2022

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Podcast#72: State of the Systems, 2022

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:04 pm

A little later and much shorter than last year:

https://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode/72/

Reinhard

Amy3010

Re: Podcast#71: State of the Systems, 2022

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:50 am

Food for thought! This resonates with me:
But I also wonder whether to some degree the personal punch cards and life log represent a hubristic, excessive systemization of life. Whether there might not be something better between total chaos on the one hand and what sometimes verges on OCD-level tracking on the other, some happier medium.
I have my own OCD-ish systems for managing my life and my anxiety about getting things done and I sometimes wonder the same thing. But I think I would still rather be on this side of the spectrum than the other side, if a happy medium isn't an option.

Thanks again for keeping the boards open for the time being - the Habit Cal is a integral part of my daily routine :mrgreen:

Wishing you success with your goals for 2023! Maybe with the children getting older there will be time to get stuck into writing your next book after all...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:33 pm

Thank you, Amy! My research project for this year (or however long it takes) is to go hunting for that happier medium, if it exists. Maybe it'll be a mirage, a Loch Ness monster, but maybe not. A worthy quest for a self-help guru, in any case.

So glad you are still getting good mileage out of the habitcal!

Reinhard

andrewemond

Post by andrewemond » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:52 pm

Your yearly reviews are quickly becoming a reminder that a full year has passed me by. It's fun but gives me a good thumping as well. I'm glad to hear you're working on a writing project...I'm currently brainstorming ideas for a system to help me write as well (in truth, it'll probably be several systems in tandem since there's a research part).

Always love hearing your ideas and remarks!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:39 pm

Thank you for stopping by, Andrew!

Let's exchange notes as we figure the writing thing out. I see you've already started already in a new thread. Will pop over there shortly!

Reinhard

NoSDoc

Post by NoSDoc » Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:21 pm

Dear Reinhard,

thank you very much for this very inspiring Podcast. I was wondering: when you decided to reduce drinking to the weekend did you ever think about only drinking Friday and Saturday? NOT before N-Days, not "before work the next day"? Somehow I feel this is more natural. Something like Sabbat-Säufer...
I never actually tried this but I have been thinking about something like that for quite some time. Do you have thoughts on that idea?

And it seems your "getting up early" has not yet received a "habit status" (at least you never talk about it) while I really think it deserves one! Angel numbers as you call it. Could you imagine doing a podcast on Angel Numbers?

All the best

Stefan

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 24, 2023 1:41 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it Stefan!

I like Sabbat-Säufer. :-)

But I do find it helpful to keep all the systems in sync and mutually reinforcing each other with the N-day/S-day divide. Fridays in the past have been particularly challenging -- so it's actually been quite helpful to keep my guard up just then (and I do allow a sip of Shabbat dinner wine, like ritual wine was exempt during Prohibition).

I'm glad the Angel numbers/early rising intrigues you! I actually have a thought of how to incorporate them into an episode on "clock and calendar" as valuable system-scaffolding...

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Re: Podcast#72: State of the Systems, 2022

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:41 pm

reinhard wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:04 pm
A little later and much shorter than last year:

https://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode/72/

Reinhard