An introduction and a couple of new systems.

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
rdurbin

An introduction and a couple of new systems.

Post by rdurbin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi, my name is Reid. I am a web developer from MN. I am currently a beginner with No S, Shovelglove and Weekend Luddite.

So far so good, thanks Reinhard! I appreciate your intelligence, integrity, and your common sense approaches to self-improvement.

Here are a couple of other systems that I am experimenting with.

$20 Bill
------------------------------------
My wife and I each get $20 for each weekday. The weekends work kinda like the No-S diet, they are free days. Our definition of the weekend starts on Sat. not Fri. night.

Here are my findings after trying this system:

- we are way more conscious of our spending
- we eat out a lot less. I can still easily fit in a lunchtime meal with coworkers which is important for me because of the social aspects.
- big purchase now have a built in cooling off period (till the next weekend)
- I don't have to carry a wallet. I am down to my keys and cash, it's nice!
- It doesn't feel painful like a budget. In fact it's kinda challenging to see how we can make the most of our $20.
- We are discovering more things that we can do for free. Right now our library is offering free passes to local museums/attractions/zoos.

Language Lunch
------------------------------------

I spend my lunch learning a language. Currently I am learning Spanish. Mainly I have been walking and listening to Pinsleur on my iPod. I am also starting a conversation/study group with my coworkers.

thanks for listening!
Reid

LoveULife

Post by LoveULife » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:17 am

thata a very good idea reid....
if we don't carry excess money, we won't eat excess
even i m also going to give myself a chance on this idea
just carry fixed amt of money that will by me a lunch and a taxi for that day and nothing extra.
but wt abt coffee that we get for free in d office? :(
Start from where u are, with whatever you have
make something of it ,and never get SATISFIED

LoveULife

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:14 pm

Welcome, Reid! Very nice riff on nos. I especially like the fun challenge element.

I'm going to think about whether I can apply something similar to myself... I'd given myself a monthly spending limit. But it's been tricky to stay within it. That may have something to do with it being set at an unrealistic level. But maybe a finer grained daily (or n-daily) system could be superimposed on it and help... though I'm pretty good about daily expenses like meals (oatmeal is cheap, coffee at work is free). It's the major appliances, birthdays, etc. that do me in.

I'd also have to figure out a way to translate it to plastic because I'm hooked on my credit card. I like the automatic expense tracking and the 2% cashback it shuffles into my daughters college fund (makes even purchases champagne somehow virtuous). And of course, I pay it off every month in full.

Let us know how it works out. If sounds very promising, but if you can stick with it for weeks/months/years it gets even more compelling.

Reinhard

larisa0001

Post by larisa0001 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:45 am

I've been struggling with a financial system myself; I'm back in school and on a very strict budget, so $20/day is beyond my limit. Haven't yet found a workable system that will keep my spending in check while still allowing me a cup of coffee every so often. Problem is, the "every so often" has a way of metamorphosing into "every day" or "several times a day" - and I can't afford that.