Spam accounts

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Spam accounts

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:05 pm

Don't be concerned if the last 5 or so new bulletin board accounts always seem to be spam. I'm not letting the site go to pot, I delete them within 24 hours. It's just they keep on registering new ones. If you scroll down past the first few new users on the memberlist, you'll see the list looks much cleaner.

I need to find a way to delete or block these accounts automatically because it's irritating to have to manually delete them every day. It shouldn't be hard, it's very obvious which accounts are spam. I just want to be careful not to block or delete legitimate users.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:09 pm

What a pain in the S! :evil:

Have a nice day Rein :)
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

navin

Post by navin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:23 am

Hmm, it sems like a lot of new sites I register on these days have some sort of graphic with a word on it... something that is apparently easy for a human to read but difficult to read programmatically. Wonder if sometihng like that could prevent those accounts from being created in the first place?

I think one of the sites I saw that used that was Ticketmaster, when you actually search for tickets it shows that graphic and makes you enter the text.

Then again, there's probably a patent and hefty royalty... so you may have to wait until you get rich from book sales before going that route. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:19 pm

The graphic is there already (I get lots of complaints about it from visually impaired people!) but the spammers have moved to the next level in the technological arms race and their bots can now read these (probably more reliably than people can).

But they do seem to be total, predictable, illiterate idiots about that data they fill in. I think I could easily muck with the code to block 95% of them. I'm just afraid I might also block some total, predictable, illiterate human idiots whom we want to welcome here :-).

Reinhard

navin

Post by navin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:26 pm

Hmm, why do I have an image of Wharf saying, "Captain, they've adapted!" all of the sudden??

I suppose you could make your tool and run it as a dry-run for a while, and see what it's accuracy rate is and once it's good enoguh let it in. But yeah, you're absolutely right, it's better to let a few spammers in than to block some legitimate human.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Spudd

Post by Spudd » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:02 pm

I run a phpBB board too and I found that most of my spammers were coming from the same host domain. I IP identified them before deleting their accounts, and also noted what email address they used to sign up. I banned those domains, and now I haven't had a spammer in months.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:32 pm

Conveniently, there's an article on Slashdot about foiling email harvesters:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/12/2048219

Some of the suggested techniques are applicable to signups, if you're looking for ideas.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:33 am

Thanks for the suggestions... I think one of my problems is I never seem to have more than 15 minutes at a time to deal with this. I'll try the ips. I've got a bunch of email patterns blacklisted, and that seemed to have worked for a while, but those are so easy to change.