can somebody guide me abt sleep disorder problem?

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
LoveULife

can somebody guide me abt sleep disorder problem?

Post by LoveULife » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:20 am

Hi,
One friend of mine has a sleep disorder problem.
For last 3 years she is not able to get sound sleep without pills.
Her mother lost her eyes 3 years back and whole responsibility of housework came down on my friend's back. she was 18 at that time and was stydying.
She can not sleep until 3-4 am and so feels drowsy and dull in the morning. Doctors are saying that she has to take pills for rest of her life and she is afraid of that. According to her,this probelm and the pills have affected her memory also and she finds it difficult to remember small small things in day today's life.
can somebody please tell me what can be done?
Start from where u are, with whatever you have
make something of it ,and never get SATISFIED

LoveULife

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:41 pm

I suggest have her find a good yoga class where she can learn to relax through exercise and meditation, as well as specific poses which encourage sleep, like Shoulder Stand.. These are not difficult and not drugs and the only "side effects" are positive..
Sounds like she has a very stressful life and that is probably contributing to her difficulty sleeping. I am going to go out on a limb here too, and suggest that, as stupid as this sounds, those pills might be doing more damage than good, and the "drowsiness" in the morning is most likely due to them, and not the being awake... I took a tylenol pm one time in my life a few years back and I couldn't believe how groggy I felt the next day.. Not worth it...
Shoulder stand is easy and can be done even just partially, with the support of a wall.. It brings blood back from the legs into our internal organs, and calms the mind and nervous system... she should practice this pose every day for one or two minutes during the day and see how it helps.. It doesn't have to be in the evening.. Also, if she waits till very late to start going to sleep, she should attempt to go to sleep earlier..
I think once you get to that 11 or 12 time, your body is already overstimulated..

Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:25 pm

Exercise is always a good idea - SO many benefits.

I would also suggest seeing another doctor. Any doctor who just says "get used to pills" needs a little second-guessing, IMO. Someone else may offer different medications, a "weaning" plan, or other options.

Good luck to her!!!

LoveULife

Post by LoveULife » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:46 am

Thank u kCCC and Deb for your suggestions.
yes pills can be the reason for drowsiness that she feels.
Exercise is a very good idea but I forgot to mention that she has already tried that too. She had been to a psychiatric who also could not help her through consulting. In medical checkups also nothing serious was found.
Start from where u are, with whatever you have
make something of it ,and never get SATISFIED

LoveULife

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:49 am

Has she tried audiobooks?

The more highbrow the better.

I sleep like a stone, but I sleep like a stone falling off a cliff when I listen to an audiobook -- off olympus mons if it's something of literary value.

And worst case scenario you're not just wasting your time.

Reinhard

harpista

Post by harpista » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:30 am

I suggest that she look into hypnosis, and after going to that for a bit, get her hypnotherapist to teach her to hypnotize herself.
Nulla palma sine pulvere.
'No garland of victory without first the dust of the arena.'

Sometimesians, unite!