Replacing Computer Gaming Habits?

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
elai

Replacing Computer Gaming Habits?

Post by elai » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:24 pm

I do enjoy computer games. They're very fun, convenient, interesting and good way to de-stress and relax. But I know I can do something better with my time. The thing is, you just cant remove something that provided something of personal value and do nothing in replacement. Books would of been my second alternative, but that is a similarly the same kind of passive, unsocial thing on par TV and the computer. Ideas?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:09 pm

Books are only passive if you don't discuss them with anyone. Start or join a book club. If you're afraid of wasting your time on books you don't really want to read, start or join a very narrowly themed book club (I'm in one whose mandate is to study the works of the philosopher Xenophon, who no one I've ever met outside this club has heard of). If you can't find locals who share your oddball interests, type a few choice terms into google (though face to face is nicer for this kind of thing, people get way too pompous electronically).

I also scribble up my books with all kinds of (occassionally irate) interjections, which makes reading considerably more interactive.

You could also read books out loud and contribute to a project like librivox. Then it's not only social, it's useful!

Reinhard