Audiodidact (Output)

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Audiodidact (Output)

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:48 pm

Sorry for the long wait... I'm going to have to scale back to doing these monthly instead of weekly for a bit, until book and kid are safely delivered.

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=27

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:39 pm

Interesting.

I keep a journal, which provides some of the same benefits you describe. But it isn't always convenient, and I'm toying with the idea of trying your system for a bit. Don't know if it's worth buying equipment and recording... Hm.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:14 pm

The DS-2 is cheaper than one psychiatrist visit. :-)

Sara R

Post by Sara R » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Reinhard, I love this idea. I have a digital recorder I've used to do oral history interviews of my grandparents, so I don't need to buy anything. (Also, some mp3 players, like the Sansa Fuze, have a digital recorder in there already.)

I've always been a stronger writer than a speaker, and I usually trip over my words when I'm speaking without a plan. Also, I'm a cancer survivor (3 1/2 years whoo hoo!), and they say that some people go through something called "chemobrain." I don't know if that is a concern for me, because I've never been eloquent, but I am at least more self-conscious about my speaking ability now. Audiodidact output seems like a great plan for me to begin to address this weakness.

I haven't started yet; I have too many new good habits on my plate as it is! But it is on my Big Picture sheet for me to get to eventually.

Do you have any updates about this system since you made the podcast?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Hi Sara,

I'm planning to do a podcast soon to review/bring together all the productivity systems in a more unified way.

In the meantime, I can say that 1) I've been practicing "audiodidact output" regularly since I described it in the podcast, more or less unaltered 2) I continue to find it fantastically helpful/therapeutic.

Voice recorders keep getting cheaper and better. I'd recommend just diving in and starting. It's going to take a few days/weeks for it not to feel weird, probably, and even longer to "find your stride" in terms of how much you speak into the recorder (and find time to transcribe), but it'll be well worth it.

Reinhard