My bizzare approach to shovelglove

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
VanillaGorilla

My bizzare approach to shovelglove

Post by VanillaGorilla » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:08 am

First off, greetings to all! Obviously, I am new here...lol. I stumbled upon this board recently and have been enjoying reading through the many posts and ideas contained within.

I have been using a sledgehammer as part of my training for quite awhile, actually. I use it as one of many different training methods and ideas. I've lifted weights for many years and over time I have incorporated bodyweight exercises into my routine in addition to cables and the like. I like to have some variety in my training and honestly, I do truly enjoy the feel of a good old fashioned barbell in my hands...haha

When I first started using it, I mostly used the sledgehammer to basically beat on an old tire... :lol:
Over time, I added a couple other moves using the hammer. I started doing curls with it, swinging it like a baseball bat for reps and doing a series of moves using the hammer as a sword....Doing slashes, blocks and things of that nature (For the record, I have absolutely NO training in swordplay...I just mimicked things from movies like Kill Bill, Braveheart, etc...haha!!).

I basically just made this post to "break the ice" as it were and say I have already found some great ideas here and look forward to learning more and hopefully contributing something worthwhile in the future. :D
Fall down seven times, get up eight.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:06 pm

Hey Magilla, I mean Vanilla Gorilla!
SG is an ideal way to "break the ice" Ha ha! (sounds of groaning everywhere... LOL.....)
Welcome!!!!!
I haven't seen Kill Bill, but I recommend "Crouching Tiger"
Well have a great time and look forward to hearing about your stuff!
I've been an on and off SG'er these days... I was doing it for a nice run of N days, and formed the alliance known to all here as
"The Pact of Blood"...
I hereby welcome you enter into the cyber pact and (metaphorically)prick your finger...
We are an elite and powerful group whose common passion is a love (and at least some regular involvement) for Shovelglove!
Your approach doesn't sound bizzare at all, btw... What kind of sledge do you have? And just out of curiosity, where the heck do you live? I can't for the life of me figure out what the initials on your profile stand for!
Ha ha! :wink:

8) Deb

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:09 pm

The hammer is just a cheapie I picked up at WalMart a long time ago. 10 or 12 pounder with a wooden handle. I can't recall the weight at this second and the sticker that said what it was has worn off...I suppose I should weigh it at some point so I don't come off looking like a total meandering dolt. :lol:

A band of roving warriors weilding hammers? Count me in! haha

The initials are a bit confusing...My apologies for that. It stands for Massachusetts Chapter Of The Black Label Society. No, it is not some weird cult :lol: ....Just a tip of the hat to one of my favorite bands.

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:43 am

VanillaGorilla, you seem like a kindred spirit!!

JCS60 provided this link on the Shovelglove forum awhile back. I haven't ordered it yet, but it looks cool and fits in with the type of shovelglove that I enjoy, which is almost completely martial in nature.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... D92GAG3OHC

I came up with a couple of scenarios that are martial in nature, too. Here are
the links from the Shovelglove site in case you haven't seen them:

http://www.shovelglove.com/group/67.html
http://www.shovelglove.com/group/71.html

Welcome to the board! Happy slaying! :wink:
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:58 pm

Thank you for the welcome and the links, Samurai. Glad to be here and glad to see there are some people who share somewhat similar ideas. 8)
I was wondering if I would be dismissed as a total loon when I mentioned the "swordplay" aspect. :lol:

I'm in the middle of preparing for holiday festivities, but I shall look forward to checking out the links more indepth after everything is back to normal (Or as close as I can get, anyhow...lol). Thank you again...I find this forum quite interesting and informative.

Kevin

VG...

Post by Kevin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:44 pm

Welcome to the site.

I've been toying with a tire-enabled shovelglove variant for a few months, on and off. I beat it with a wood chopping motion, squat/lift/toss it, drive it with the hammer with a shoveling motion, drive it with a croquet like swing (only much less dainty, very manly), stand it up against a tree and beat it with a tree chopping swing, etc.

Let me know what else you do.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:52 pm

Kevin the GPP king!!! Great work!!!
Sounds to me like your injured shoulder is holding up pretty darn good!

Okay time to get a swinging! Thanks for keeping up all this good energy guys!!! It's nice to have that extra inspiration from your daily logs!
Vanilla? How's SG treating you? Any slayings yet? Will I have to notify your parole officer sometime soon? :lol:
Here I go now!

Peace and Love,
8) Sister Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:49 pm

Welcome, Vanillagorilla. Sorry I didn't see your post till now.

You don't even have to pretend the shovelglove is a sword to get martial, the war hammer was a legitimate weapon in its own right.

Thanks for clarifying BLS. I thought it was Bureau of Labor Statistics.

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:10 am

Kevin - I really don't do anything to fancy. Just lay the tire on the ground and beat on it until I am tired. Sorry it's nothing more scientific than that! lol
I actually got the idea from a bodybuilding site ( :shock: , :lol: ) some time ago. That is how I came to originally purchase a hammer and incorporate it into my routine. (I did weigh it and it is a 10 pounder for the record.)

Deb - I have been derilect in my duties.....No need to call the P.O. quite yet. Was bit under the weather and let my slaying slide, so to speak. :lol:

reinhard - Thank you very much for the welcome. Ironic you mention the hammer as a weapon in and of itself. I jokingly refer to it as "The Warhammer" sometimes.

And I assure you I am definitely NOT the type that the Bureau of Labor Statistics would hire. There is not a big call for gorillas from what I gather. lol

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:29 pm

Hope you're feeling better today, Vanilla, and up to your full slaying power!
Enjoy the beautiful day!
Warhammers and Peace :lol:
8) Deb

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:17 am

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Hope you're feeling better today, Vanilla, and up to your full slaying power!
Enjoy the beautiful day!
Warhammers and Peace :lol:
8) Deb
The weather here was actually quite lousy.....lol
That having been said, though I am feeling pretty good today. Planning to go for a run tomorrow and then swing the warhammer and smite mine enemies! :lol: