Feeling Like a First Grader

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
NoelFigart

Feeling Like a First Grader

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:33 pm

You know, the HabitCal is insidious.

I am sooo wanting to blow off my swim today, and what's keeping me from doing it is that I don't want to have to put that red mark on my swimming habit calendar.

This is actually more powerful to me mentally than if I log a certain number of workouts a week, the price of my gym membership is refunded by my insurance company.

How's that for childish?

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:48 pm

Childish would be stomping your feet and asking as many people as it takes to find one who will give you permission to skip your swim.

Personally I found paying for the gym membership (not reimbursed by anyone) didn't actually get me in the door. Once my favorite yoga teacher left I had no reason to go back. Now, if I had a little red box to contend with, well thing might have been different.
Heather

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:23 pm

Yeah, I've been amazed too at how motivating it is.

We tend to think of money and status as "real" motivators, but when it comes down to it they're just another kind of "green." :-) The more immediate and explicit and public the green, the more powerful.

Reinhard

roseha

Post by roseha » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:59 am

Yes we have this leftover candy at the office and I wanted just one piece but I didn't want to mess up my Habit Cal - it does have an effect!