Habits Serve You Well in the Tough Times

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
NoelFigart

Habits Serve You Well in the Tough Times

Post by NoelFigart » Mon May 05, 2008 3:03 pm

I find myself wishing that I'd spent more time as a youngster cementing "good habits" that would work for me.

I'm going through something of a difficult time right now, but the past few months building good habits (not drinking too much, regular exercise, good eating habits) has actually come to my aid now.

Because regular exercise has become such a strong habit, even though I'm going through a tough and chaotic time, I'm finding myself making time to make sure I get that workout in. For me (and I don't know how widespread this is), a good workout has a mood enhancement quality. I need that desperately right now, and it's good that this habit has come to my aid.

Because I do Glass Ceiling, I'm not getting blotto to try to shut off painful emotions, then wake up with a hangover and be physically off (making it harder to be emotionally "on" when people need me).

Even No S has been working out for me. I've been careful to get decent meals in, and the weekend of "permitted" nibbling was a decent safety valve that interestingly enough kept me from going TOO crazy with the food.

It's funny that structure is a comfort. I knew from past experience that if I feel out of control, but make sure my house visually neat that I feel more relaxed and ordered. I'm glad good habits wind up helping, too. *wrygrin*. I think a lot of the Everyday Systems are good for control freaks because it contains it in a healthy productive manner. Heh. Why should your faults get a free ride. Put 'em to WORK for you!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue May 06, 2008 12:39 am

Noel, I'm glad your routines are working for your during this tough time.

I totally agree... after learning something similar during a time of deep and painful loss, I re-group on the "basics" when life is tough - eating decently, exercising, enough sleep.

I wonder if societies that have very strong rituals/routines around death do that in part to provide a supportive structure in the midst of emotional turmoil.

And I'm sorry that you NEED this knowledge right now. It's good to have, but not so good to learn.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 06, 2008 2:33 pm

It's funny that structure is a comfort.
It is funny. A lot of us associate structure with something confining and oppressive (as it certainly can be), but good structures are a support, something you can lean on, something that gives you more freedom than you'd have without, flopped out helplessly on the ground.
I think a lot of the Everyday Systems are good for control freaks because it contains it in a healthy productive manner. Heh. Why should your faults get a free ride. Put 'em to WORK for you!
Absolutely. Strict structure used to be necessary or we'd die. Now that we're cushioned so well from death in the first world, we still all have these vast, underemployed internal police forces. If we don't put them constructively to work, they'll find less positive outlets. It's like that theory of allergies being caused by excessive hygiene.

Reinhard

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri May 09, 2008 3:50 am

This is a timely post. My aerobics instructor once said it was more important than ever to keep up exercise, eating healthy foods and getting enough water when you are under stress. I add to that recipe getting fresh air regularly too

I've used this formula in the past and it DOES help.

However, I'm doing grad work and one of the classes .. well, it's just not clicking. The stress hasn't derailed me during the week (even the S days for my son's 18th birthday) but the weekends when I'm banging away on papers... oh, oh, oh.

The semesters almost over so it's too late for this go round, but I need to keep this in mind for next time.

tracey

Post by tracey » Tue May 13, 2008 4:51 am

I definitely agree.

If I keep to schedules I find I have more freedom, it's somewhat of an oxymoron but that's how it is.