"Punch Cards" twist

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
kccc

"Punch Cards" twist

Post by kccc » Sun May 18, 2008 2:34 am

I have been using the "punch cards" for quite some time now, and have just developed a new wrinkle that is very useful to me that I thought I'd share.

I was just at a conference, and of course there's all these ideas that come out of it - books/articles to locate and read, people to contact, etc. Plus random stuff to do when I get back.

I took an extra index card (next time I'll take a special one in a different color) and labeled it "conference follow-up" and just listed all the stuff that I wanted to do after I got home. Everything from a book reference to emailing someone to replenishing the toothpaste in my travel bag.

Really eased my mind. I'll work the items into the daily cards or the general system, but I liked being able to capture all of it on the fly as I needed.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 20, 2008 7:18 pm

Nice idea!

I usually just scribble stuff like this on the back of the card (or the big picture), but it can get pretty crowded...

Reinhard

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed May 21, 2008 12:46 am

I use the back of the card for things I can get to in the next day or so, or want to put on my master list... but I was at this particular conference for a LONG time, and it got tiresome re-copying it.

But I like having it as a separate card that "goes beside" my regular ones until I can do/capture everything on it.