To-do lists and anti-bookmarks

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
bonnieUK

To-do lists and anti-bookmarks

Post by bonnieUK » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:48 pm

I’m a very curious person, and often have random impulses to research various things online. As such, I’ve realised that having a search engine as my internet homepage is a pretty bad idea (especially a personalised one with quick links to Wikipedia among other things).

Anyway, today I’ve set this as my homepage:
http://www.marktaw.com/getbacktowork.htm

I think KCCC is the one who mentioned this recently, so thanks for that!

So then I was left with the dilemma of what to do when some random impulse to find out about XYZ comes up (particularly as sometimes these random impulses are work related or related to the business course I’m studying) and decided I’d set up separate list, which I’ve put at the bottom of my work to-do list, with a place for ideas to research or any other random non-work stuff that bugs me and tries to take my attention away from work.

Doing this has 2 benefits:

1 – Once I’ve had an impulse to research something and then put it on my list, I can completely forget about it because it’s on my list to look at later when I get some personal time.

2 – I automatically analyse whether something is worth putting on the list and therefore budgeting my personal time for it – not surprisingly, in many cases, it isn’t!

I think having constant internet access is kind of like having access to a fridge / pantry full of every food you could possibly imagine – if you’re sensible, you’ll just eat what you need and occasionally treat yourself, if you’re not sensible you’ll snack on junk all day and give yourself indigestion!

Today is day only 1 of doing this, but I've not googled anything other than Maslow's hierachy of needs (something I needed to research for my course), and I had a quick browse on Amazon for a father's day gift, so far so good :)

oh, and of course had a quick check on the everyday systems boards and posted this :D