Gradual Weekday/End Luddite

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
fkwan

Gradual Weekday/End Luddite

Post by fkwan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:09 pm

I'm doing a major psychological/spiritual rehauling. Buddhists like to "travel light". I don't know if it's menopause or what, but I've become very conscious (the recent death of Tim Russert didn't help any) that my time on the planet is limited. I've found that I can't tolerate a lot of Stuff that I used to. One of them is being on the computer at home. Yesterday I ignored it completely and went straight to bed to read!

Leo in www.zenhabits.net talks about not using an Ipod when he runs, so I've been trying to walk without it.

Today I left my cameras at home. My backpack was getting too heavy and I hadn't been photographing anything for months (another slump). I haven't been watching hardly any TV and as for the news -- that was the first thing that went!

Next I may go back to handwriting in a paper journal....

This isn't exactly yet any kind of "habit" to track in HabitCal, but it is interesting to me if to no one else.

If you knew you were going to drop stone dead at any time, what would you stop doing now? :)

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

botulf2000

Re: Gradual Weekday/End Luddite

Post by botulf2000 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:16 pm

fkwan wrote: If you knew you were going to drop stone dead at any time, what would you stop doing now? :)

f
I feel kind of stupid for replying to your post, one thing I probably would stop doing if I knew I'd be dead in the next week is replying to stuff on various internet forums...

But otherwise, going lo-tech can feel great. I went from a palm pilot to a paper/index-card based "system" and I found that I no longer can waste time time playing games and so on. The system is not very complicated, I just make sure I ahve some paper and a pen on me all the time. Stuff get crossed out when it is done or transfered to a adress book or calendar or whatever.

And I strongly deny that I stopped using my palm pilot because of a mishap involving the wrong charger, a mishap that resulted in a puff of smoke. That never happend. And besides, no one saw me do it...

/Krister

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:51 pm

I don't know about "what would I stop doing if I knew I was going to drop dead." Will think on that one, actually.

I do write in a paper journal. Have for years. (Since I read - really, worked through - "The Artists Way" by Julia Cameron, which I recommend.) I also use a Palm AND an index card system (track long-term projects in the Palm, "Today's tasks and stuff I need to capture" in the cards). We don't have cable tv as a choice - if I'm going to watch something, I select a movie...

Mostly, I try to focus on "what's important" rather than "what's urgent" and "be here now." And practice gratitude. :)

I do listen to podcasts on zen (zencasts, from iTunes) while doing mundane tasks. The irony of this does not escape me.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:49 am

I thought about this while driving (had a long one this evening), and came to the conclusion I wouldn't ask that question in isolation.

In addition to what did I want to stop doing, I'd ask what did I want to START doing. What did I want to change? Or create? (My user name is from those questions: Keep, Chuck, Change, Create. I love that "keep" is first - it's easy to lose track of what's good, and lose it in other changes.)

And I'm pretty happy with directions I'm already going in, I think. More time on relationships that matter. Less time "sweating the small stuff." Trying to make a positive , difference somewhere, no matter how small. That kind of thing.

larisa0001

Post by larisa0001 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:24 pm

I've been thinking along the same lines, after doing a summer internship at a law firm while also playing the piano on a regular basis (as in, out-of-town performances). It was crazy intense, and gave me a different insight into simplifying my life.

Before, I looked at "simplifying my life" as something that one does for its spiritual benefits - for the pleasures of living without, for true appreciation of what one does have, and so forth. But this summer has shown me that in the life I am going to lead, "simplifying my life" is a survival skill. When running a marathon, one does not want to be encumbered with a heavy bag.

This summer, I cut out all the non-essentials from my life. I had minimal to no Internet access at home. I took on no commitments except for the ones I already had - work and piano practice. I seldom socialized. And every time I wanted to buy new "stuff", the only question I asked was "Is this going to make my life easier?"

It sounds very unpleasant, the way I describe it - but it was wonderful. It changed my life. Instead of looking at "simplifying" as an end in itself, I began to look at it as the means to attaining my goals (i.e. becoming a good lawyer and a good musician). To me, it was a healthier way of thinking about "simplifying" - not as denying myself pleasure for the sake of denial, but as streamlining my life so I could achieve more. And it worked. This summer, I did very well at my internship (well enough to get a permanent job offer from the firm), and did well enough at the music stuff to sign a recording contract.