Introducing new habits to habitcalc - when?

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
kbits

Introducing new habits to habitcalc - when?

Post by kbits » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:12 am

On previous occasions, I have had upto 5-6 habits being tracked on habit calc, right from the get go. As you can imagine, this turned out to be a disaster: one habit might be going well but then another might not be, then I would start to berate myself until eventually walking away from the whole torrid mess

I've just finished my first successful (all green) 21 days with No s and yesterday introduce Cinderella's Electric Candle (all electrical devices out by midnight).

Just wondering - how frequently do you like to add new habits to your tracking? Once every month? Longer? Shorter?

What have you found is most successful for you and why?

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Even before Reinhard, I did "habits of the month" instead of yearly resolutions.

There is a rule-of-thumb that it takes 21 days to build a habit. I figure a month gives me some slack if I'm a slow learner. :)

The habits are at different levels, and I try to recognize that. Some are things I want to maintain, some are temporary areas of focus. For things I want to maintain, I do try not to add another until the first is solid. "Focus" can change more easily.

If I can tell that I'm getting a bit shaky on maintenance, I'll repeat a habit. It's okay - it's all process.

My biggest issue is TELLING myself I'm focusing on one thing, but letting others sneak in under the radar... I'm working on that. :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:08 pm

I add them very rarely... (it's been over a year and I'm up to 4, 3 of which were well established before I even started keeping track). There's a cost, partly just in screen real estate (which is more of a technical problem that could be easily rectified in that version 2 which I keep talking about) but more importantly in terms of willpower and attention.

Reinhard

kbits

Post by kbits » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:32 pm

That's interesting...

I'm guessing sleep / diet / exercise are of course the biggies.

After that...what comes next in your list of priorities? Perhaps "tasks" is a sneaky way of keeping it to 4...but really doing much more than four things, without creating a sense of being overwhelmed?

(general question for all).

Honestly....there's a lot more than 3 things I'd like to become "habitual" in my life.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Yeah, "tasks" is a little sneaky.... but it's been very effective.

Among other things, it's a staging area for habits that you might want to promote to top level tracking at some point in the future when you're clearer about their feasibility/sustainability/advisability.

Reinhard