Home page doesn't point to all the good stuff

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
JackHacket

Home page doesn't point to all the good stuff

Post by JackHacket » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:38 pm

Reinhard,

es ist schade, dass die Startseite von Everyday Systems nicht auf alle deine tollen Ideen hinweist. HabitCal und Chain of Command / Personal Punchcards fehlen zum Beispiel. Vielleicht könntest du sie einfach unter dem Punkt "Sloth" hinzufügen?

Hehe, I thought Reinhard might want to brush up his German a little. Well, here is the text again (somewhat expanded) in English:

--- spoiler alert --- :wink:

I noticed that the home page does not point to any of the self-management systems from the podcasts. I wanted to get a friend involved in Everyday Systems and found that just pointing her to the home page would not be enough to introduce her to all the stuff I like, so I suggest adding HabitCal and CoC / Punchcards to the list of systems on the starting page. The same goes for Audiodidact, I guess. Also, it might be worth separating the idea of 14 minutes of (week)daily exercise controlled through a timer from Shovelglove as the latter probably has less appeal to women (who tend to have an - unfounded - fear of becoming bulgingly muscular) while the timer idea is bound to be hugely beneficial for anyone.

As I just noticed, HabitCal actually does come up further down on the page, but somehow I feel it should be up there with the other systems.
Last edited by JackHacket on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

la_loser

Post by la_loser » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm

JackHacket

FYI--I think there are a number of female Shovel-Glovers out here, although you wouldn't necessarily know it since our profiles or usually our screen names don't usually indicate that. And I've seen enough suggestions that definitely dismiss any concerns about any of us gals becoming Arnold-like!

I really like Shovelglove because it's not as intimidating as "real weights" and I don't feel like I need a personal trainer (besides Reinhard and our online friends) to do it correctly.

I did start out with a 4 pound shorter hammer because 1) I had one handy and 2) the heavier ones were a bit much to begin with. I'm about ready to move up to a 6 pound though.

So you can share with your friend that she'll have plenty female companions out here! :lol: Hope you both enjoy it.
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:29 am

I'm a female SG-er too. :)

I think that the basic point JackHacket was making about un-bundling Shovelglove and timed exercise is both accurate and useful. My summary: Shovelglove is a specific example of "14 minutes of exercise," and the broader statement may reach more people than the specific example.

I totally agree. Before I finally started to do SG, I did the 14 minutes (okay, I do 15 because I like that better) as Pilates or 5 Rites or T-Tapp or... something. Anything counted. I still only do SG on M-W-F. That just feels like "enough" to me right now (plus I have Tu-Th exercise classes, so it fits well.)

However, I think the point would have been made more strongly without dragging in the "some women don't want to do muscle-building exercise" argument. Because (A) that argument simply isn't true for a lot of women, as LA_Loser pointed out and (B) there are probably men who would prefer to do 14 minutes of something else as well.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Jack,

Danke für deine Vorschläge!

It's true the main hub page has been sadly neglected. Part of it is I like to personally test systems forever before giving them front page billing, and (a much larger) part of it is mere laziness. But I'll remedy that now (at least a little).

Decoupling shovelglove and the 14 minutes is something I've touched on before -- but you're right, it's important enough emphasize up front.

Reinhard