Not sure if this is the right place to post, but . . .

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
mondurvic

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but . . .

Post by mondurvic » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:13 pm

. . . I'm intrigued by the Weekend Luddite idea. I spend vast amounts of time online, and tell myself it's OK, because after all, there's nothing else I HAVE to do. The bills are paid, I've been to the dentist and the bank - why shouldn't I spend my time online? Why is it any worse (or better) than watching TV or reading? And yet, I can't help feeling I'd be better off spending less time online.

I'd like to try the following adaptation: Checking email no more than twice in any eight-hour period. I'll still send and receive the same number of emails, but I'm hoping that by sitting down in front of the screen on only six occasions a day, I'll fritter away less time (and maybe my neck and shoulders won't ache, either).

I don't want to be away from the bulletin board much during the next three weeks, as I know I'll need help with NoSing; nonetheless, here goes: between now (11:15 am) and 8 pm tonight, I will check email only twice. This is unheard of for me, partly because I live in a 500 square foot apartment, so am always right near the computer.

Judith

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:30 pm

Hey Judith!
Why not try what I did, and not pay your dsl bill on time!
Then you'll lose your service and "presto"
You're a luddite!
LOL...
(Actually I'm going to be able to get my service back by next week!!!
Yay!!!!!!!)

Good luck!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:30 pm

Judith,

I think the trick is, when you're online make sure you know why. Aimless web surfing is only marginally better than tv channel surfing, and since there are an infinite number of websites to surf so it sucks up much more time. Keeping myself away from the computer on weekends forces me to be make more effective, intentional use of my computer time during the week. In a way, it's very pro-technology: by making less use of technology you're compelled to make better use of it.

That being said, the details are tricky to get right, and probably vary greatly from person to person. I've made more failed resolutions regarding web surfing than any other habit. After much trial and error, weekend luddite stuck, but it's also made me aware how much more could be done. It seems like such a small, unimportant problem, and it's so easy to disguise as something virtuous, but the stakes really are high: a big and increasing chunk of our lives wasted. Not quite as dramatic and flashy as sickness or crime, but an evil nonetheless.

Reinhard

gj

Post by gj » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:45 pm

a big and increasing chunk of our lives wasted.
And it's not restricted to weekends, either. I recently made the experience that I was way more productive programming on the road (= without internet access) than in my home office. :-(