Re-configuring systems due to external forces

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
kccc

Re-configuring systems due to external forces

Post by kccc » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:58 pm

Just posted on the No-S board asking for suggestions... I'm musing on how external forces are causing me to re-configure my systems.

I now have two hours of commuting per day that I didn't used to. That changes a LOT.

One thing helping is that exercise and No-S are now priorities for me. So, the question is not whether I exercise, but HOW it fits into my schedule. Ditto reasonable eating.

These particular habits have to be revised, but they get to stay. Others are being reconsidered...and I'm thinking it's actually a good thing to re-consider routines periodically.

Phyllis

Post by Phyllis » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:36 pm

KCCC,
First things first you are one of my favorite posters to the Everyday Sytems Forums because on the first day I ever found NoS I read your post to Kevin about acting on the impulse of kindness rather than nastiness (I'm paraphrasing). Wow, what kind of world would we have if we all practiced this consistently.

I can really relate, I have a 90 minute commute. I get up at 4:30 in the morning in order to exercise. To do this and get through my day not half-dead I go to bed early. I'm a single parent with a 5 year old so I just go to bed when she does. This was not easy at first, the pull of the TV and other fun diversions kept me wanting to stay up.

I cook on the weekends so I have plenty of yummy things to enjoy on Ndays. I know some folks don't like left-overs/warmed-up meals but maybe if you don't meal plan and shop on the weekends so you will have stuff on hand for quick, delicious meals.

I really did have to sit down and list all my priorities and responsibilities in order to get it all in. The commitment to the priorities really helped me be accountable also I am now so aware of what is important and what is mental garbage "should, ought to, have to, etc... Another thing that has happened is I am much more efficent getting things done. Example, I put in a load of laundry in the morning when I start my work-out and then put it in the dryer while I am getting ready that way I can fold it quickly when I get home and don't spend the weekend doing laundry.

Blessing sent your way.
Tell all men that peace is good that's all that need be understood. Theadore Geisel

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:05 pm

Phyllis wrote:I am now so aware of what is important and what is mental garbage "should, ought to, have to, etc...
Your remarks about priorities and mental garbage remind me of something Jamie Lee Curtis said that has always stuck in my mind:

Never say "I have to" -- say "I get to"
Never say "I can't" -- -say "I choose not to".

I use this a lot, as in "I get to go for a walk today", not "I have to go for a walk", and "I choose not to do the laundry now", not "I can't do the laundry". "Get to" often makes me feel grateful that I am able to do whatever it is. "Choose not to" helps me evaluate whether I am picking the inaction option or genuinely cannot proceed.
KCCC wrote:These particular habits have to be revised, but they get to stay. Others are being reconsidered...and I'm thinking it's actually a good thing to re-consider routines periodically.
You have such a great attitude toward the huge commute change in your life! I mention "get to/choose not to" because I find that I can reinforce my attitudes by changing the language I use to think about what's happening. As you go through your reconsiderations, maybe a little language shift like this might make the process a bit easier. Good luck to you!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:35 pm

Thank you both so much for the encouragement!

Phyllis, thank you for the compliment, though you caught me on a good day, when I was able to act on my better impulses. Wish I were always that good! But in general, this is a really wonderful group and so nice to be a part of.

I am also impressed by how you're dealing with your situation. My commute is an hour each way, adding up to two. If I'm understanding correctly, you have 90 minutes each way, which is longer! Also, I have a really supportive husband who has taken over a LOT of things on the home front. You sound as if you have really streamlined life, and I expect I can learn a lot from your strategies.

Winnie, thanks for the reminder on language. That's powerful stuff, but easy to overlook! (My version is whenever I catch myself saying "I should...", I change it to "I could." Amazing how it brings a feeling of choice.. and equally amazing how often I forget.)

Still working on routines. Right now, it feels a bit busy - but I AM getting in exercise and decent food!

Phyllis

Post by Phyllis » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:33 am

KCCC,
It's only 90 total on bad days with wrecks (much worse for the person in the wrecks than me) it can easily be an hour. Fortunately I am mostly going against traffic so it's driving time not sitting in still in traffic. Just wanted to clarify.
Have a great weekend
Phyllis
Tell all men that peace is good that's all that need be understood. Theadore Geisel