HabitCal Google Gadget (to embed in your blog)

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

HabitCal Google Gadget (to embed in your blog)

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Want to stick a habitcal widget on your web site, blog, or igoogle home page?

I just created a "google gadget" that lets you do this:

http://www.everydaysystems.com/habitcal/#ggl

It's basically a slightly smaller calendar view limited to one month and one habit at a time. You configure it with your username and the initial habit you want displayed. Initially, it'll show the current month. Users can use the arrows to select other months and the drop down list to view other habits.

Are there other views that people might find useful in a gadget? Do you want to be able to edit? Are you dying for a facebook or iphone version?

Let me know and it'll help me prioritize.

Reinhard

Pewari

Post by Pewari » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Thank you so much for your systems, podcast and site! Only discovered it yesterday and I'm completely hooked already.

Started using the HabitCal today, and really impressed by its simplicity and ease of use. I have been using the Touch Goal app on the iphone for keeping track of daily goals, but I vastly prefer the HabitCal system. So yes please, would love an iphone version!

la_loser

iPhone/iPod Touch-yes!

Post by la_loser » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:41 pm

Reinhard,

Somehow I missed this when you posted it in January. . . looks like it was the day I left for DC for the inauguration.

But yes, I'd love an iPod version. I have the Touch which takes the same apps as the iPhone. I can access my HabitCal now on it, but only when I'm connected to the interent so if WiFi isn't handy, I'm out of luck!

Thanks!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks for the iphone votes... I've gotten a number of emails about this recently.

Maybe I'll make it a May monthly resolution, once I get the next batch of podcasts out.

Objective-C can't be THAT hard, right?

Reinhard

dharris

Post by dharris » Tue May 19, 2009 3:52 pm

How's progress on an iphone app or iphone friendly version?

Has anybody tried any of the existing habit tracking apps available? I searched the iTunes app store for "habit" and found a bunch - HabitCheck, Touch Goal/Touch Goal Lite, Habits, Goalkeep

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 19, 2009 5:12 pm

None yet... and I'm afraid it may be a while.

Two blocking issues:

1) It's clearly much harder than the google gadget. I have very little discretionary time at the moment. Still have to wrap up the podcast "trilogy..."

2) I don't have an iphone and am unlikely to get one. It's hard for me to motivate when I won't use it, especially since it'll clearly take significant effort.

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:41 pm

A friend of mine just informed me about iphone webapps (and he's even volunteered to do some of the coding).

http://www.apple.com/webapps/

This wouldn't be a full blown iphone app (you couldn't use it offline) but it would look a hell of a lot better than the current web browser version. And in a few years from now, no one's ever going to be offline, right?

The big advantage from my perspective is that it's just html -- I wouldn't have to sink time in figuring out Objective-C, etc.

Reinhard