Glass ceiling modification

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
yaki

Glass ceiling modification

Post by yaki » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi!
There is a kind of public health campaign going on over here in Germany about excessive drinking in young people, and I thought their guidelines are an interesting variation of the glass ceiling:
For men, 2 standard glasses of alcohol, 5 days per week, for anyone over 18 years old. The two alcohol free days a week (for example, days that start with T :-) ) help to prevent addiction and standard glasses are:
0.25 L beer, 0.125 L wine and 0.04 L hard liquor (35-40%).
I think these are quite sensible guidelines and would allow me to, for example, have a half liter of good German beer, or a whiskey and a guiness or 0.25 liters wine. I thought this may be helpful.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 20, 2009 6:30 pm

That's very cool.

I like the two days off idea (especially if they start with "T" :-)), though I have to admit, I don't take nearly that many off myself, though maybe I should. And my beer glasses tend to be a little larger than .25... (.34, I think).

Does the campaign have a name or a website?

Reinhard

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:12 am

Thanks for sharing. I'd just decided I needed to "lower my glass ceiling," and I like the "days beginning with T" approach.

yaki

Post by yaki » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:14 am

It's called "Stay Gold" and these recommendations aren't very central to it and hard to find on the website http://www.staygold.eu/ . It seems to be mainly trying to convince young people that binge drinking "doesn't make you cool but it will make you drool" (sweet rhyme made up on the spot by me ^^). I also think you'd be hard pressed to find a beer bottle or glass, at least here in Germany, that is 0.25 (well, actually there are some. But its not that common). 0.33 is the standard small size, while 0.5 is the large version. So for example you could have about one pint of beer a day. This makes hard liquor look like a much better option, as 2 x 0.04 cl whiskey, for example, would definitely be enough for me ^^. Oh well, I guess I'll play it by ear, trying to meet the recommendations but going with the glass ceiling instead if neccessary.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:10 pm

Thanks for the link, Yaki.
I also think you'd be hard pressed to find a beer bottle or glass, at least here in Germany, that is 0.25
Yeah, I think I saw far more 1.0s than .25s when I was over there. :-)

Reinhard