weekend luddite? And what about during the week? Any ideas?

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
Cassie

weekend luddite? And what about during the week? Any ideas?

Post by Cassie » Fri May 08, 2009 11:29 am

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to follow the NoS diet & I think I'm now back on track.

However, I have another serious everyday problem- excessive internet use, listening to podcasts etc- which creates big problems for me. I'm doing a PhD, working from home. I have just actually got back to doing a bit of work after being on maternity leave (my son is now 9 months). I have 24 hours of childcare at the moment & I really need to be using those times for work. Instead though, I use lots of that time (e.g. right now!!) for internet surfing. Result is that- even though I tend to work very quickly when I do work- I do much less work than I'd like.

The weekend luddite sounds like a great idea on principle. However, I think I need to create another 'everyday system' that would work for my particular situation, since for me weekends are not the problem anyway (I tend to spend weekends with my partner & baby so don't spend too much time in front of the computer).

Any suggestions?
Cassie

navi

Post by navi » Fri May 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Hey Cassie,
I too am ABD, finishing up writing at home. It is a REAL struggle to keep focused, particularly with the internet to distract...

lately i have been using a timer to keep on track using the following method: i start the day with 30 minutes of "free time" while i drink my coffee (read newspaper, or check email), then WRITE for one hour (by the timer). i am at the stage where i need to write, so i do not count organizing, researching, etc., i must be writing, even if it is just the abstract or materials & methods, or figure headings....this is followed by 30 minutes of free time, during which i use the internet, make a phone call, whatever. i use at least one of the 30 minute breaks for a quick bike ride or walk around the neighborhood. to get a green on the habitcal for the day, i have to get in 3 solid hours of writing, which actually translates into a good bit of REAL progress on the dissertation (not just paper shuffling or making outlines, which i find is just a way of procrastinating from actually writing). after the 3 hours writing, i use the same system, but can use the hour to organize, make outlines, research, download literature, or even to clean the house, etc. sometimes i even get in 1 or 2 more writing hours, if i am on a roll.

anyhow, this works for me! it seems like alot of breaks, but in truth, before i started to do this i would end up getting NO real work done, now i get loads done & have lots of time for guilt free internet, or reading a book, or taking a walk, eating lunch, meeting a friend for coffee, etc. i did experiment with the timing - started with 30 min work, 15 min break, but ultimately found that 60min/30min works best for me.

hope this helps! my 30 minutes is just about up, so back to it!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi Cassie,

I have a few other systems for "distraction management" besides weekend luddite.

1. Anti-bookmarks

http://www.everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1430

2. Blimits

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2607

They're both pretty similar, and like weekend luddite, come at the problem from a negative "thou shalt not..." angle.

Another thing, like gionta says, is to come at the productivity problem from a more positive angle, by crowding out internet procrastination with specific, meaningful tasks you have to do. If you've got a "thee hour writing task" or whatever to tick off, it's going to leave you with less -- and more precious because it's less -- time. You'll be less inclined to waste it. The habitcal and daily punch cards can be very helpful both for both the positive and negative angles (I think it's helpful to come at the problem from both).

Here's a "sneak preview" of the page I'm (very slowly) putting together to tie all this stuff together:

http://www.everydaysystems.com/chainofselfcommand/

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Tue May 12, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cassie

Post by Cassie » Tue May 12, 2009 7:03 pm

Thanks Reinhard & Gionta.

Gionta: what you say makes total sense. In fact, it's kind of the only way I manage to work when I do manage to work. I've done something a bit similar many times, i.e. say 'I'm going to do nothing / surf etc for 10 mins' and then I set myself a goal to work for 30 mins. The times for breaks / work time vary. I think your idea has brought this all back to mind, thanks so much, I definitely will follow it & have added the 3 hrs a day writing rule to my HabitCal. Unfortunately this & next week are not good because we're moving house next tuesday (yay!!!) but I'll get back on track late next week.

Reinhard: will definitely look at the links you've sent me, thanks so much! Have been listening to your podcast, by the way, it's good & interesting and really, what you say makes so much sense. It's interesting- I came to the NoS diet through the parenting forum 'Mumsnet' (in the UK) so it seems the word is spreading... :wink: You must be very proud!