Analogy of habit

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
Bushranger

Analogy of habit

Post by Bushranger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:18 pm

I've been thinking on it quite a bit over the last few months and now that I am posting and finally joining in on the forums I decided to share an analogy of habit that I thought up.

Habit is like water dripping on a rock.

It appears weak and ineffectual but over time it erodes right through. Each water drop can be likened to a success on the habitcal. One is almost nothing, but weeks becoming months becoming years of successes...now that is very powerful indeed.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:31 pm

This is great! Thanks for posting it.

I came up with something similar a while ago about "wave action" and "erosion" but yours is better -- because habit seems like such a small and insignificant thing, whereas the ocean obviously isn't.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... sion#55719
Habit is like erosion, like the sea carving out cliffs, a slow moving but extremely powerful force. Just keep at it with the regular wave action of your daily compliance, and I'm confident the pictures here will get very impressive.
Reinhard

la_loser

And the opposite is true as well . . .

Post by la_loser » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Love the analogy. . . and perhaps just as strong is the fact that the bad habits we have managed to slip into, little by little, cause us untold problems. i.e., Once upon a time, I always had more Movement with Purpose in my daily life, I did manage my time better, I did. . . . you name it-there are lots of things that I look at in my daily life and wonder, when in the world did I stop (or start) doing this, that or the other. It seems obvious I guess, but we didn't start doing those negative things just overnight!

But because of No S and Everyday Systems, it's become clear that I CAN change those. . . slowly but definitely surely! Ah, yes, celebrating that INDEPENDENCE I mentioned in an earlier post!

Drip. . .drip. . .drip !!!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:08 am

Thanks for the replies. LA I know what you mean about the bad habits slowly sneaking in also. That's the power of habit, good or bad. If that tiny drop of water is NOT walking and it goes for weeks into months into years that's powerful too, but for all the wrong reasons.