Treadmill desk = hours of productivity

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
gregdek

Treadmill desk = hours of productivity

Post by gregdek » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:44 pm

So I work at computers all day. Like many of you. Maybe even most.

Not long ago, my company introduced a couple of Steelcase Treadmill Desks to our place of work. Looked interesting, so I tried it out. Walking at a max speed of 2mph in hour long blocks.

I looked stupid, I sweated, but by God, it felt amazing.

So I went home and told my wife I was buying a treadmill. She bet me that I'd use it for a month and get bored. I've used it almost every day for three months, and when I don't, I get all cotton-mouthy and whatnot. I won the bet. I won't divulge the terms of the wager, but I've certainly enjoyed my winnings.

I walk at work, and I walk at home. Investment: $2k for a good treadmill with a warranty, and a few hours to make a cheap "desk" of 2x4 and pink insulation blocks that rest on the treadmill handles. Average time on treadmill: 6 hours a day. Average miles walked: 12 miles a day. Calorie burn: nearly 1000 extra calories, every day. Took me a while to work up to that.

It's a great complement to Weekend Luddite, if you go by the simple rule: Thou Shalt Not Compute Unless Walking On Thy Treadmill.

Maybe this is a bit expensive for most folks to try. But by God, it worked incredibly well for me.

Love the site. Was considering kettlebells, but am now considering shovelgloving instead.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:38 am

I looked stupid, I sweated, but by God, it felt amazing.

This is perhaps the leitmotif of all everyday systems exercises :-)

A sure sign you're on to something!

Honestly, it sounds great to me. And I wouldn't be surprised if you compute better while walking.

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Reinhard