Clock Watcher - Focusing with a Timer

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
kctrxv8rdudtv

Clock Watcher - Focusing with a Timer

Post by kctrxv8rdudtv » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:44 am

My monthly resolution for October:

The problem

Sometimes when you're "at work," it's only a figure of speech---instead of actually working, you're dreading the latest big task hanging over your head. Maybe you work on smaller tasks that are easy, or maybe you avoid working altogether. (I know I do plenty of both.) Of course, the time you spend avoiding the work only heightens the urgency of the task, and it also drains the time you have left in which to complete it.

After you've procrastinated long enough, the deadline looms overhead, and you enter panic mode. You slave away, hour after hour, and you finish, barely in time---whew! Unfortunately, your frenzied working pace has left you exhausted, and you are fit only to go home and watch TV in a stupor.

This kind of "binge-purge" productivity has surfaced repeatedly in my life, at work and at home. What can you do to work in moderation, avoiding the opposite extremes of lazy procrastination and frenzied panic?

The solution

The fix is actually pretty simple. First, grab a timer. Then use it to set aside an interval of time that is for only productive work---a "burst". (I originally tried calling them “chunks†of time, but that started to sound gross after a while.) Don't make it too long---it has to be small enough that the finish is never too far away.

Once you've set your timer, don't bother looking at it for updates---it will let you know when you're done (ding!). Just get to work, in the comfort of knowing that no matter how big the project, you're done when that timer goes off.

When you hear the ding, you've won! To celebrate, set your timer for another small stretch of time, and use it for anything you want---walking, recreational web browsing, meditating, or maybe origami! Having a guaranteed break is important---it convinces your less-motivated self that even during the productive bursts, there is relief on the way.

After your short break ends (ding!), reset the timer and start in on another burst.

Try setting your bursts' length at fifteen minutes, followed by five minutes of break. The simple mnemonic to remember is "fifteen on, five off". (Other people recommend eight minutes on, two off; I always seem to need at least fifteen minutes to get anything substantial done on the projects I have.)

Why the name?

At first glance, "Clock Watcher" evokes the idea of sitting and watching the seconds tick by before you can leave work. But the trick is, the real Clock Watcher is the timer---patiently watching the time for you, letting you know when you're done (ding!) so you can focus on other things. What a great little helper!

Alternately, the timer itself is a form of clock, and in a way, it's watching you. Think of it like a guardian angel---watching as you work hard, helping you to perform at your productive peak, and letting you know at the end that you did a great job (ding!).

It all makes the timer seem like the best friend you ever had. I was so grateful that I made a poem for it:

Ode to a Timer

The time crawls by, first tick, then tock,
But I’m as busy as a bee;
Instead of playing “watch the clockâ€,
I made the clock start watching me.

Okay, enough silliness---back to the system.

Accountability

To make yourself accountable for actually using the timer, set a standard for what a successful day is---a minimum number of bursts that you will finish. Then, count how many bursts you complete. (I use a tally on a whiteboard to track my count, and at day's end, I enter the total into a spreadsheet for longer-term tracking.) Since I started monitoring my progress, I average just over fifteen bursts daily---so far, getting at least ten bursts seems like an appropriate daily minimum for me.

Counting isn't just for tracking your progress---it is a motivation all its own. Try drawing empty checkboxes on your whiteboard, then checking them off as you complete bursts. Filling them in will give you a sense of accomplishment with each little victory, and you may well discover a competitive urge driving you to best your personal record.

Gadgets and gear

An important facet of Clock Watcher is a good timer. For me, a bit of techno-gadgetry is just what the doctor ordered: I use an old-school Palm T3 with Steilberg's excellent BellTime app (http://www.steilberg.eu/page5.htm). BellTime has an "egg-timer" applet that is perfect for setting timers quickly, and it's easy to use. I carry the Palm in my pocket, so it's always on me. Together, they’re a good combo. Of course, a simple kitchen timer would work just as well.

Conclusion

I am grateful to my Clock Watcher for helping to keep me working hard. My fifteen-minute bursts of productive labor have really added up, and I am well on my way to knocking out some of my largest projects. In addition, the frequent breaks have let me take care of myself, so I can come home energized and ready to do more than veg.

I'd be happy to hear any ideas for improving it!

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:42 am

Nice write-up!

I've done something similar for years - learned it from Flylady. But I hadn't thought of trying to define a number of sessions/bursts per day. The five-minute break is nice too... the variant I've done is 3 sets for work, one for relaxation. Works out the same, I guess.

I do make little checkboxes on my to-do next to tasks I particularly want to put time in on. That IS very motivating!

Also, if I'm working a long day on the computer, the 15-minute timer is a stretch-reminder, so I don't get too stiff sitting all day.

Again, it's a really nice write-up, with some useful wrinkles. :)

kctrxv8rdudtv

Post by kctrxv8rdudtv » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks! The stretch reminder is a great idea---I know I get a little overworked just sitting at a computer for that long sometimes.

infoproj

Post by infoproj » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:49 pm

Like the idea - very adaptable.

Sounds almost like a Scrum methodolgy with regular 'sprints' (geeks will know what I mean!).

I think it describes what we are all trying to achieve - finding a non-bewildering way of actually getting everything done that we think of, instead of wasting those valuable seconds of our lives.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:34 am

BUMP
what a great idea for all of us..not just for business use!! and I think it fits right into the philosophy of noS exercise...
I HATE cleaning up the kitchen in the evening. Most evenings, hubby does kitchen duty (if I cook) but, there are evenings when he has obligations and on those nights, I tend to sit at the table and feel sorry for myself ..(in reality, it would only take me 15 minutes to clear things up and then I would feel better about the rest of my evening) I have been known to watch anything on TV..reread the daily paper..anything but the dishes!! My plan now is to: set the kitchen timer for 5 minutes (pouting time) and then set it for 15 minutes and I know I will have everything done! :lol: i think I will use this system for all those little jobs that must be done and I don't feel like doing! I could vacuum for 15 minutes (while brewing a cup of coffee to enjoy when I hear that buzzer calling me!)..Yea..I can do that!! Hope YOU find something in your life to apply this to :)
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:55 am

I came to using a timer via Flylady -- a very twee housekeeping system, but one that focuses rather like the Everyday Systems on habit and routine.

I use it less for housework (few routine tasks in housekeeping actually TAKE fifteen minutes, the smallest time increment my iPod sleep timer has), and more for work, like you've suggested here. I'm self-employed and when I get intimidating tasks, I force myself to focus for fifteen minutes at a time on them with no distractions. It is truly amazing what you can accomplish in fifteen minutes of hyperfocus, yes!

Great system.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 pm

I also learned to use a timer with FlyLady. I'm still fluttering though. It really is amazing how much one can get done in 15 minutes!

I try to combine FlyLady with No S. I set my timer for 15 minutes and trot to each room. I call it home ranging. I get a lot of excersize this way. I hate excersize!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:12 pm

mrsj wrote:I also learned to use a timer with FlyLady. I'm still fluttering though. It really is amazing how much one can get done in 15 minutes!

I try to combine FlyLady with No S. I set my timer for 15 minutes and trot to each room. I call it home ranging. I get a lot of excersize this way. I hate excersize!
A friend and I both seem to watch too much TV. :oops: But we get a LOT accomplished by getting up and doing chores, etc., during commercials. It's amazing how much one can accomplish in that little bit of time. You can even exercise in spurts during commercials.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."