Interpretation please

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
john

Interpretation please

Post by john » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:27 am

I have begun my 4th attempt at NoS with great enthusiasm a couple days ago. I have even overcome my aversion to computers and am using the Habitcal online. Hunger between meals is my major problem and I have been doing moderately well until TODAY. I became ravenously hungry this afternoon. I gritted my teeth and persevered but if this keeps happening I am lost. I am trying to figure out the reason for this drastic reaction. At 12:30 I ate what I would think is a substantial lunch- beef barley soup, pretzel nuggets, V-8 juice, Activia Yogurt, uncooked carrots & radishes dipped in nonfat cream cheese and a couple of apple slices. Most of this is a typical lunch for me. The only exception is the pretzel nuggets that I put in my soup instead of crackers. Oh yes, I did not drink my strong cup of coffee mid-afternoon but had hot tea instead. The hunger began around 3 and instead of diminishing got stronger and stronger. I did not allow myself to eat until 6 PM and then became very, very sleepy afterwards.
If you were able to read this far after all the boring detail, do you have any theories about what happened? Perhaps it was just a fluke or ....... :cry:

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:24 pm

I think there is an issue of retraining our bodies. I think that psychologically, we begin to tell ourselves that we snack in the afternoon and so, when we don't after a few days, our brains react against us telling us that we must eat.

Out of curiosity, what did you eat for dinner?
Make the Better Choice

koopa

Post by koopa » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 am

Do you put cream and sugar in your coffee? Depending on how you make your coffee, it could add up to a decent amount of calories, and people tend to make tea differently.

Make sure that you are drinking lots of water and see if it happens again. A staple healthy pick me up or I will not make it through the day emergency snack is 7 small pretzel rods which only comes out to 110 calories. Since it is the emergency snack, I try to avoid it, but I don't feel guilty using it when needed.

Going through the day feeling like you are going to pass out is not what NoS is about! :)

john

I agree

Post by john » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:23 am

Thank you for your responses to "Interpretation Please". I also was thinking that episode was a delayed response of "the dumb animal" hunger. I don't remember what I had for supper that evening, I had just stopped keeping a food diary the previous week. Incidently, the diary did not show any obvious
patterns, hunger and somnolence were "all over the map."

One thing I am doing that seems to be a good idea is to eat my three meals slower. This is certainly better for the digestion and also slightly reduces the time between meals.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:53 am

One thing I used initially for hunger between meals was a glass of 2% milk. I only had to use it a few times. Having something to drink if you need it is allowed, but having a snack would be a modification. Some people use mods effectively, but I stuck with the vanilla no s rules, and it has worked well for me.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.