Glass ceiling discussion

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
Blithe Morning

Glass ceiling discussion

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:00 pm

I am a big fan of the glass ceiling. In fact, I lower the glass ceiling on weeknights to one glass and even then have a guideline of needing a reason to have a glass of wine like finishing my master's. My reasons don't have to be S worthy but I don't feel comfortable drinking just because I want to knock back a cold one either. In other words, it's celebratory.

Anyway, I realize I have all kinds of other inner rules about wine and beer that make managing drinking easy for me. For example, I don't drink before 5PM or much after 8PM. Somewhere along the way I decided that wine and beer are - not for a meal exactly - but for sustenance. Once or twice a year we will go out to the local winery for wine tasting at around 3 but otherwise, I don't open the wine or beer till 5.

(I also wait till I'm done chopping things with a knife. Maybe I'm just too cautious but alcohol and wielding sharp instruments seem like a very bad combination. And almost needless to say I do not drink if I am going to be driving.)

And finally, I like to savor my wine. It's a way to slow down the day and just be in the moment with whatever (a book, a favorite TV show, good cheese) or whoever is with me.

Celebration, sustenance and savoring.

Again, these are things that come pretty much innately to me. I don't recall ever trying to decide these things or having to discipline myself to follow them. I recently did exceed the Glass Ceiling and immediately regretted it because it felt just terribly wrong, going against the essence of my personality. It helps that I don't find that dizzy feeling particularly fun or funny.

And now that I re-read this, I realize this is where I've slowly been going with food.

What are your thoughts about Glass Ceiling?

koopa

Post by koopa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:40 pm

I just about never drink alcohol. My parents are big drinkers, and ending up like that just doesn't appeal to me. If I am to drink, I like wine. The only rule I have with wine is when the bottle is opened, the wine needs to be finished that day. With that said, I NEVER drink wine alone.