Do you know....

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
gk

Do you know....

Post by gk » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Do you know of any good stretching/flexibility DVD's?

I have started a continuous 30-day exercise goal to hopefully create an exercise addiction. The problem is I have plantar fascitis in both feet and a bad hip, so I have to be careful how I proceed with this. (I'm only 40 - I think my LACK of exercise has alot to do with my current condition.) I plan to alternate exercise days with stretching days to avoid injury.

I use Roku, but they don't have much to offer. I've tried Crunch: Candlelight Yoga for stretching, which is good, but would like a variety. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:02 pm

I'm afraid I don't...

Historically I'm not much of a stretcher. I'm disinclined to do it from both laziness and an inability to imagine how this was part of any ordinary traditional human lifestyle that everyday systems seek to emulate. And then I keep reading articles on how the jury is still out on whether stretching isn't actually counterproductive.

That being said, in my attempts to do an "ordinary" exercise like running, I keep injuring what I think is my IT band, and have been attempting to do foam-roller stretches I saw recommended for this on the internet. But I'm not sure whether they help -- I'm certainly still having this issue. It's a little funny that in almost a decade of doing this crazy, dangerous-seeming home-brewed exercise involving a sledgehammer I've never injured myself, but as soon as I do something "safe" and normal I get hurt.

In terms of exercise videos in general, I prefer to watch totally unrelated shows/movies while I exercise, just to keep my brain stimulated. So one avenue to explore might be: find some brief how-to videos on youtube, figure out the mechanics of how to do the stretches you want, then watch something else when you're doing them as part of your routine to keep boredom at bay.

Good luck!

Reinhard

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm not a fan of learning from DVDs, but can recommend Tom Kurz's stuff. I have a copy of Stretching Scientifically and consider it very useful. I'm informed that he also produces DVDs on the subject which are on a par.

Pavel Tsatsouline also comes highly recommended, though I haven't any experience with his stuff.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

gk

Post by gk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 pm

reinhard wrote:find some brief how-to videos on youtube, figure out the mechanics of how to do the stretches you want, then watch something else when you're doing them as part of your routine to keep boredom at bay.
Great idea! I think I will do just that.

Instead of dreading my "just stretching days", I'm rather looking forward to them now. Thanks! :D

gk

Post by gk » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:45 pm

ThomsonsPier wrote:I'm not a fan of learning from DVDs, but can recommend Tom Kurz's stuff. I have a copy of Stretching Scientifically and consider it very useful. I'm informed that he also produces DVDs on the subject which are on a par.

Pavel Tsatsouline also comes highly recommended, though I haven't any experience with his stuff.
Will check them out - thanks! :)

mastermesh

Post by mastermesh » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:40 am

Yoga and Pilates videos are all over youtube and elsewhere and those mainly focus on stretches.

I really love bing, and yahoo video search. Do advance searches for words like yoga and set it to pick out video lengths over 20 minutes. Then use some 'tools' to get them on your local computer so you don't have all those blasted ads to watch every time.

I have discussion of 'tools' about half way down the blog post over at http://jeffthomann.wordpress.com/workou ... -for-free/

I love my roku and plex installed on it for workout videos. I have tons and tons of videos to keep me moving. I have them divided up by various groupings... like one folder is full of nothing but 9-15 minute videos and I use those in the mornings before work since I don't have a ton of time... but that small amount of time is enough to get in a good little workout before shower (most of them are body weight, dumbbell, or kettlebell workouts so no need to use a shovelglove type of thing - even though I do have one bar set aside as a shovel glove type of thing to use from time to time... It's basically a mini- bench press bar that was used for leg extensions on an old bench press many many years ago when I was in high school and I have one side set up with a 10 lb weight on it... with lots of duct tape on there to keep it from moving as I do the shovel glove stuff since otherwise some of those moves might cause weight to go flying if I get too much pressure moving around.)

If you don't mind a few commercials, go check out catastrophe girls list of roku channels and install a few. All fitness tv is annoying since it has a ton of commercials but it does have some nice stuff.

Yoga vibes is ok too. There's also some channel from elastics or some name like that that uses a lot of bands connected to walls. They are ok but without the bands and just using weights it's hard to do all of their workouts - I do use some bungee cords as bands from time to time though. If you dig bands and that channel, they have a whole youtube channel on it where you can download locally instead of playing though all the commercials and god awful navigation system on their plex channel.

but mainly I just use plex... and the youtube stuff....

Don't do a lot of bodyrock until you build up to it... that stuff is only usually 12 minutes long but it is the hardest damn 12 minutes of any day I've ever tried it. Hasfit is awesome for starting out...