More scientific support for moderation

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

More scientific support for moderation

Post by reinhard » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:59 pm

From a NY times article touches on benefits of moderation in jogging, walking, and alcohol consumption.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/0 ... ef=general

What does "moderate running" mean?
1 to 20 miles per week at an average pace of about 10 or 11 minutes per mile — in other words, jogging
(this is even slower than I run, and I'm pretty slow. I currently average about 8 miles per week at ~9 minutes/mile)

How much does it help?
This decidedly modest amount of exercise led to an increase of, on average, 6.2 years in the life span of male joggers and 5.6 years in women.
Do I have to run? Can't I just urban ranger?

You can just urban ranger.
[a study of] exercise habits published last year in The Lancet, ... showed that among a group of 416,175 Korean adults, 92 minutes a week of moderate exercise, like walking, gentle jogging or cycling, increased life span by about three years and decreased the risk of mortality from any cause by about 14 percent.
In summary:
“We can say with certainty that regular jogging increases longevity,†Dr. Peter Schnorr, a cardiologist and an author of the study, said in presenting the findings at a clinical meeting organized last month by the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention and Rehabilitation. “The good news is that you don’t actually need to do that much to reap the benefits.â€

“The relationship appears much like alcohol intakes,†he continued. “Mortality is lower in people reporting moderate jogging than in non-joggers or those undertaking extreme levels of exercise.â€