Rock-a-bye...

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
ThomsonsPier

Rock-a-bye...

Post by ThomsonsPier » Wed May 24, 2006 9:04 am

Vaguely interesting, but I'm not sure if it should be here or in the NoS part of the forum.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5008824.stm
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 24, 2006 3:57 pm

This is fascinating.

Some highlights:
Researchers from Ohio's Case Western Reserve University, followed nearly 70,000 women for 16 years.

They found women who slept five or fewer hours a night were a third more likely to put on at least 33lbs (15kg) than sound sleepers during that time
The researchers found that their findings had nothing to do with light sleepers eating too much, or taking too little exercise
Dr Patel said sleeping less might alter the number of calories a person burns when at rest.

Alternatively, he said people who sleep less might also be less prone to involuntary activity such as fidgeting, which can help to burn off calories.

The researchers suggested the key might be that sleep deprivation alters the balance of hormones which control the rate at which we burn off calories.
Here's another reason I think sleeping regular and full hours is helpful: it's your most basic internal metronome around which to establish healthy, regular habits (meals are a distant, but still important second). If you aren't a regular sleeper, nothing else is going to be regular.

If I had problems sleeping, coming up with a system for that would be my first priority.

Thanks for the link!

Reinhard