Turtle Easing in Slowly

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

herd_o_turtles

Turtle Easing in Slowly

Post by herd_o_turtles » Mon May 10, 2021 7:11 pm

Hi all,

Starting a check in as I ease into No S. Okay, okay, ease *back* into No S.

I did well with No S for a couple of months years ago, but as usual tried to change too many things at once. And now, after recently reading multiple other sources that espoused "no snacking", I realized that reminded me of No S, and it all seemed so sane and good for me.

So this time I'm easing in. Last week I just took out the sweets (except on S days). That went well, so this week, I'm taking out the morning snack. When that's stable, I'm planning to remove the afternoon snack.

Today was a success -- a little hungry but conveniently had a dentist appointment at 10:30 am, so that kept me from getting too restless for snacks before lunch. :)

Great to be back and see that so many of you are still here and doing well! :D

Turtle

Soprano

Re: Turtle Easing in Slowly

Post by Soprano » Tue May 11, 2021 5:21 am

Welcome back, you've taken a sensible approach, stick with it.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

herd_o_turtles

Post by herd_o_turtles » Tue May 11, 2021 5:26 pm

Thanks! :)

herd_o_turtles

Post by herd_o_turtles » Tue May 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Checking in for today for my current stage, which is no sweets and no morning snack.

5/10 > Success
5/11 > Success

herd_o_turtles

Post by herd_o_turtles » Wed May 12, 2021 7:01 pm

Another good day for the new habit! I'm really starting to realize that a lot of my snacking is really just to have something to look forward to during the work day, especially if it's a particularly stressful or dull one. So I'm making a list of alternate activities that I might be able to do during the day instead and trying to do those when I need a little something to look forward to during a break.

That being said, I actually have not had my afternoon snacks this week so far either. I did drink a glass of whole milk yesterday, and it was really helpful (both as a way to get past the hunger and as a way to get some more fluid in me).

Anyway for today:

5/12/2021 > SUCCESS

:D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Glad things are going well. Keep up the good work!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160