KYL's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kyl77

KYL's Check-In

Post by kyl77 » Tue May 24, 2022 11:38 pm

I've been doing the No S Diet for a few weeks, but I just started tracking. It's simple, but it's not always easy! :D

Sunday May 1st: S Day

Monday: Success, Tuesday: Success, Wednesday: Success, Thursday: Success, Friday: Success

Saturday May 7th: S Day

Sunday May 8th: S Day

Monday: Success, Tuesday: Success, Wednesday: Success, Thursday: Success, Friday: Success

Saturday May 14th: S Day

Sunday May 15th: S Day

Saturday May 21st: S Day

Amy3010

Re: KYL's Check-In

Post by Amy3010 » Wed May 25, 2022 5:46 am

Well done on being so consistent, Kyl! :mrgreen:

kyl77

Post by kyl77 » Wed May 25, 2022 6:08 pm

Thank you for your post Amy. It's been a challenge, but it's getting easier. I'm just taking it one day at a time.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu May 26, 2022 6:50 am

One day at a time is a wise approach! :mrgreen:

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu May 26, 2022 8:14 am

It does get easier with time.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

kyl77

Post by kyl77 » Sat May 28, 2022 4:52 pm

I've had a rough week. I've felt hungry between meals in a way that was excessive. I need to find the sweet spot between eating enough without overeating. I took one non-weekend S Day this week for a birthday party. Despite the strain of the week, I managed to get through it without any failures, but I do need to start eating more.

Sunday May 22nd: S Day

Monday: Success, Tuesday: Success, Wednesday: Success, Thursday: Success

Friday May 27th: S Day (Birthday Party)

Saturday May 28th: S Day

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat May 28, 2022 10:26 pm

Yes, it can be hard to find that sweet spot. I have found whenever I end up undereating that a day or two (or more) of deliberately larger meals helps. I stop thinking about losing weight and just concentrate on keeping the 3 meal a day pattern going.

I do think that doing this has been one of the keys to changing a long pattern of disordered eating as well going from 161 to my cw of 138 lbs.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:12 am

I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough week! But you managed to get through it without any failures. You probably learned a lot about what might work better for you going forward. I hope next week is better! :mrgreen:

kyl77

Post by kyl77 » Sun May 29, 2022 6:54 pm

I've started eating more at meals and I'm trying to slow my weight loss down. I realize this is not a race. My highest weight ever was 230 pounds, and when I started No S this go around I was heading back up towards 230 again. I'm trying to get down to 180. Granted, I should probably weight about 140, but I've gotten down to this weight before and gained it back so fast it was like a time-lapsed video! My health care provider says 180 is a good goal for me. I just want a healthier weight I can maintain, and I definitely want to be under 200. As of Monday, I was at 190.7 pounds. Of course, that might fluctuate. As Reinhard says, the scale isn't always the best judge of fat loss.

More important than weight loss, is achieving the goal of self-control over my eating. I don't want to be a glutton anymore. I want to be able to have a little bit, savor it, and then say "that's enough" and mean it. In the past I've been the kind of person who's either been on a strict diet or has been overindulging. I'm finally learning moderation and it feels good.

I'm hoping The No S Diet is the answer to my prayers regarding my struggles with food and my weight. It's also part of a larger spiritual problem regarding moderation and self-control. I tend to be an excessive person. If anyone is listening, I hope you will keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

God Bless

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon May 30, 2022 6:10 am

Acknowledging where you are is a huge step in this in my opinion. You will have days where you over indulge and feel bad but the best thing to do is quietly think about what caused it, accept how it made you feel, don't beat yourself up about it and don't try anything drastic to put it right.

Just carry on and these episodes will become fewer. :)

Good luck, you've got this. ..

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:17 pm

Good advice from Soprano

kyl77

Post by kyl77 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:07 pm

Thanks to everyone who's been checking in with me. It's a real help. Again another challenging week, but it's getting easier.

Sunday May 29th: S Day

Monday May 30th: S Day (Memorial Day)

Tuesday: Success, Wednesday: Success, Thursday: Success, Friday: Success

Saturday June 4th: S Day

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:54 am

Congrats on your success days

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:25 am

You've been doing really well! Keep up the great work :mrgreen:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:06 pm

Hi! I just wanted to let you know as a longtimer here- you can see I've made nearly 10,000 posts-and on the last leg of an official coaching certification program for compulsive overeaters that the motivation you spoke of, wanting to be in control and not on the diet harshly-and-then-binge roller coaster is THE MAJOR SUCCESSFUL MOTIVATION that gets people to long term loss and maintenance. Weight loss has to be secondary unless you have the other one that also has good success- being scared about a present or imminent serious health problem. You seem to be ready for this. Anything you can do to increase the intensity of either of those will help, and remind yourself daily.

I will also report, though, that I had wild weekends for quite awhile but never took it as a sign I was on the wrong path. I kept to many green N days and eventually instituted a mod for weekends so dial back the binges/permasnacking. I still never targeted weight loss, but more satiety, seeing over time that I could do with less and less. If you had told me years ago that I would eat how I do now, I would have been very put off, but it has been an evolution. Just keep going!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

kyl77

Post by kyl77 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:40 am

Thanks everyone for your support. It really helps. I know I have to take this one day at a time. Last week was pretty good.

Sunday June 5th: S Day

Saturday June 11th: S Day

This week has been more difficult so far.

Sunday June 12th: S Day

Monday: Success

Tuesday: Failure :x

I ended up eating too little, too early in the evening for dinner. So, I had to have something later in the evening and I also had a couple brownies, because I was so hungry. I need to plan better. It is disappointing to have a failure for the month. I also know I'm taking an S Day Thursday, because I'm going to Frankenmuth. So, this won't be a perfect month. But I'm going to do my best, and I'm not going to let the theoretical perfect be the enemy of the practical good enough.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:38 am

You are doing pretty well so far. One failure is neither here nor there, especially if you don't allow failure to derail your efforts.

kyl77

Post by kyl77 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:15 pm

Thanks for your encouragement Ladybird. I did better the next few days, and I didn't overdo it on the S Days. I enjoyed myself, but I didn't feel the need to stuff myself. This morning (Monday) I weight approximately 190 pounds. So, that's a two pound loss. I'm really doing very well overall. Just focusing on habit is my goal right now. It makes me feel like I'm in control. The scale is so nefarious, but my habits I can always control.

Wednesday June 15th: Success

Thursday June 16th: S Day (Trip to Frankenmuth)

Friday: Success

Saturday: S Day

Sunday: S Day

kyl77

Post by kyl77 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:59 pm

Monday June 20th: Success

Tuesday: Success, Wednesday: Success, Thursday: Failure

Thursday I was accidentally served a sweet ice tea instead of an unsweetened one, and of course, I drank it. But then, I made things worse by having a piece of blueberry pie and later that night I had a coca cola. It seemed like once I ruined the day, I really had to ruin it. I realize that this is completely illogical. I need to rethink my thinking completely!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:17 pm

It takes time to not let one thing derail you. Don't beat yourself up. Just mentally note how it made you feel.

Having sugar often makes you crave more.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:40 pm

We used to say here "Don't crash the car into a wall just because you dented a fender." That helps combat the "what the hell" effect, which is a real thing in diet research. It is the NORM and is one of the natural tendencies of the lower brain that must be thwarted. Thankfully, the prefrontal cortex can be very effective in recognizing how illogical it is. Don't believe those people who claim your will cannot defy that lower brain. It does not understand that it is not a real famine when we cut back on food, and will use sensations in the body and the thought system to try to convince you that you must take advantage of dense calories when you can. Nonsense! You are feeding yourself adequate, and your body can use its reserves very well, if you let it.

Just keep going!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

kyl77

Post by kyl77 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:10 pm

Friday June 24th: Success

Saturday: S Day, Sunday: S Day

Monday: Success, Tuesday: Success

Wednesday June 29th: S Day (Celebrated my engagement. My boyfriend asked me to marry him!)

Thursday: Success

Friday: Success

Saturday July 2nd: S day

I've done better the last several days. Even for my engagement celebration, I didn't go crazy. I'm going on vacation with my fiance for the 4th though. I hope I won't do too much damage. Wish me luck everyone.

Have a happy Independence Day everyone.

God Bless

KYL

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:14 pm

Hi! Just popping in to say Congratulations on your engagement!

I hope you enjoy your vacation and try not to think about doing "damage" just enjoy yourself and have a good time! When im on vacation I find its actually easier to stick to the 3 meal framework because we are eating amazing meals, and I don't get hungry between them. I don't worry about dessert though! ;)

Congratulations again!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:04 pm

Congratulations on your engagement!

Enjoy your trip.

Jx

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:47 pm

Congratulations on your engagement

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:00 am

Congratulations! :D