Pinkhippies daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

pinkhippie

Re: Pinkhippies daily check in

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:06 pm

Thank you WINhappy!

Well, I didn't technically have a green day but I think Im trying to do too much at once. I didn't snack or have seconds, but I did have a couple of pieces of taffy after dinner. Not like a huge dessert but still a sweet. However, I feel pretty good about that. Also based on how I feel today, I realize that I didn't have enough food yesterday. I need to work on keeping my portions still a good size

Wednesday:

B: Trail mix
L: Pork chop, broccoli, and potatos
D: 2 pieces Quiche, 2 pieces taffy

Thursday

Weight: 160

B: small yogurt and protein bar
L: peanut butter honey sandwich and cherries
D:

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:37 am

Hi pinkhippie,

Congratulations on keeping control of seconds and snacks, even if you ended up having slightly more sweets than you intended. As far as your hypothesis that you perhaps didn't have enough food yesterday, I would not be at all surprised if that is the case. I am still a complete beginner to this so disregard at will but I think there is a narrow range between ever-so-slightly not enough (that then triggers hunger) and just a tiny bit too much (that can make us feel too full and sometimes trigger even more eating!). It feels like threading a very small needle to me so remember to give yourself a break. It's still a win over rampant overeating, even if you might wish your day was solid green. I'm pleased that you aren't feeling down about yourself for a couple pieces of taffy. I hope you enjoyed them!
Sometimes the coolest thing when you were a kid- remains the coolest thing.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:57 am

Treading that fine line between over and under eating doesn't come naturally to me either. Keep up the good work Pink.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:22 pm

Thanks WINhappy!

Yes, you are right, it really is like threading a needle when it comes to overeating and undereating. I felt a little better today but still felt like I was making up for something. I have to be careful to not make myself feel deprived.

Thank you ladybird, it IS such a delicate balance.

On that note, I think I figured out one reason Im having trouble with only eating sweets on weekdays is that for about half a year I was on a SUPER restrictive diet while I figured out my acid reflux/heartburn issue. No sweets or desserts unless it was blended up frozen banana with carob chips. Man! I think due to my history of restrictive eating that probably triggered me a bit. Im thinking that MAYBE for myself coming back to NO S that I should go back to the mod of a sweet with my meal. I will think about it. Eating is so psychological sometimes! And of course I still have to be careful not to trigger my reflux issues after eating carefully to help them.

June 9 Friday

Weight 160

B: half a banana and a snack pack of Bugles
L: 3 black bean fajitas with avocado and salsa
D: 2 chicken tenders, a big bowl of sauteed broccoli, and a bowl of vanilla frozen yogurt with whipped cream. 2 gum drops.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:21 am

Hi pinkhippie (I love your username, by the way!)

It IS remarkable how psychological our eating behaviors are. It's easy to overlook but that fact makes itself known with every eating choice we face. I certainly hope you can feel your way towards meal choices that let you succeed at your goals without triggering your reflux. I hate the idea that you could end up in pain just for eating!

I am so pleased you felt better about today. Great work! Also, I love the Bugles for breakfast and the 2 gum drops with dinner. Someone after my own heart! :D

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:36 am

Thanks WINhappy! My username came about because in some ways I am a "crunchy" hippie, but a hippie that likes pink, and sparkles, and uses plastic. :) I had a total Bugle craving! And a gumdrop craving! lol I saw them at the store this week, and had to get them.

Well my S day today was... less idiotic than it could have been but it definitely needed to be a little less. Just for my health.

Saturday June 10 2023

B:1 boston cream donut pop tart( I had to try one of these! I had been saving it for an S day)
L: White veggie lasagna soup with some fresh cherries
S: a snack pack of pretzels while waiting for my husband's oil change at the dealership
S: two pinwheel cookies
D: 4 pieces of thin-crust bbq chicken pizza AND a dark chocolate brownie with vanilla frozen yogurt.

Definitely felt a bit of heartburn combining pizza and chocolate together. :roll: But, I haven't had one of those brownies in almost a year. My MIL makes them and my husband has been eating them in front of me that whole time. I finally snapped. It was good, but probably won't have one of those again.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:19 am

Today I felt very "S ey"

I snacked all day long. Well, starting at about noon.

Sunday June 11 2023

B: 2 Boston creme pie poptarts
L: 3 pieces thin crust bbq pizza
S: Fresh cherries
S: bowl of Bugles
D: 2 bowls of sweet corn chicken soup
Dessert: Bowl of frozen yogurt with whipped cream and peanut butter trail mix

All this week is going to be getting ready to go on family vacation, so I expect it to be a bit more stressful. Im going to do my best to have green days according to my definition. Im going to allow a small dessert for myself with dinner. but it has to fit on my plate. I think that's a reasonable compromise. We will see how it goes. I felt like I ate a lot of sugar this weekend, and I really don't like how it feels. This is the first weekend I have really let loose with my sugar intake so it's nice to have a memory of that. I don't abstain from sugar during the week purely for weight, it also is because I really don't feel good with lots of sugar. So, we will see how this week goes.

Eta:

In looking at my food consumption, I realize that although it felt like I snacked all day long, I really didn't. I just had 2 snacks. I've been following No S for so long, that it feels like I did in comparison to my normal eating pattern. So that's encouraging.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:30 am

Hi pinkhippie -

Nice job connecting sugar consumption to how it makes you feel physically rather than simply an external metric like how you "look" (i.e. weight). The former represents a way to care for an incredible treasure - your physical health and well-being - while the latter is a moving target easily warped by factors outside our control.

I also like how you felt like you snacked all day but in reality your intake wasn't so extreme. I think making note of what we actually eat offers a nice reality check.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your family vacation!

Best regards,
WINhappy

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:02 pm

Hi WINhappy! Thank you! I will be interested to see how No S I can do for vacation. It usually isn't a problem because we are so busy, 3 meals a day is the norm. Or sometimes 2 since we eat out so much.

Monday June 12

B: Overnight Oats with peanutbutter, yogurt and chia seeds
L: Sweet corn chicken soup, toast, cherries
D: Baked chicken thigh, broccoli, butternut squash, trail mix, 2 sweet taffy. ( I was really really hungry at dinner so I added the trail mix.)

Tuesday, June 13

B: Overnight Oats
D: Slims chicken tenders with fries and garlic bread. A few cherries.

I ate breakfast super late, wasn't hungry until dinner time, and then was full very quickly probably because it was fast food. Didn't want or think about dessert. Yay!

I did realize that because I eat breakfast late, that I think I often am not hungry for lunch, but eat it anyway, and then am not really that hungry for dinner. Part of that is these 10-hour days I am doing for work. They are long and boring, and eating is something to do. I also take extra food just in case I get hungry at work, which is such a scary idea for some reason. I need to get back in touch with my hunger and fullness cues.
When I eat when I'm not hungry, I tend to both overeat(because I have no sense of getting full since I wasn't hungry to begin with) and crave sweets. Im going to try to do a better job of waiting until Im hungry to eat, the same way I do in the morning.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:16 pm

Hi pinkhippie,

Applying the same strategy of waiting until you're actually hungry to lunch as you do for breakfast sounds like a reasonable approach. I will be curious how it works out for you as you go forward, if you're willing to share.

Also, I completely relate to the anxious feeling of "what if I get hungry and don't have any food available?". I suspect that this may be a common fear because eating, nourishment, adequate calorie intake, etc. is such a fundamental physiological drive. Our logical brains might be well aware that we will not starve to death immediately but I think the body rings the alarm bell regardless both in the moment we first feel hungry and even in advance. Hopefully, waiting until you're hungry for your meals will stretch things out and shorten the number of hours you must wait between lunch and dinner. I'm wishing you best of luck!

WINhappy

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:40 pm

Hi WinHAPPY!

I have been flexible with when I get hungry for breakfast and haven't settled into a pattern yet. I think Im still coming off vacation eating which was a lot of restaurant food. That always makes me way more full than normal. Yesterday I wasn't hungry for breakfast until 10:30. I had lunch at 1:30 and then got worried about being hungry before dinnertime and had a tiny snack. I don't think I was super hungry though. I felt mildly hungry for dinner.

Today I was hungry for breakfast at 8:30. It's 10:30 right now and I feel hungry. I think. being at work makes my hunger and fullness cues even harder to interpret. It's summertime, I work at a college and it's so dead and boring most days.

update at 12:45 pm:

I fought through the 30-minute hunger at 10:30, it went away and it hasn't come back. I'm assuming it will come back in the next 45 minutes, but maybe it was not true hunger, but more boredom hunger or being used to eating at 10:30 hunger. Anyway, glad I didn't snack.

I ended up eating lunch around 1:45 and making it to dinner with no snack.

I gained a few pounds on vacation and am back to 163 pounds today.

Im hoping moderate eating will help those pounds leave soon.

B: overnight oats
L: Tuna fish sandwich, half an apple
D: honey mustard chicken, sweet potato, Brussel sprouts, a fruit smoothie with frozen fruit and almond milk

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:56 pm

Something I have noticed is that I seem to feel hungry after I eat, but if I give it time my body gradually realizes that it had enough food. I am not piling my plate high because I have been doing No S for so long, so I feel that lack of seconds. Still tweaking the right amount of food.

I eat the same thing almost every day now because I eat my leftovers all week long. I have variety on Fridays and weekends.

Wednesday

L: Tuna sandwich, apple slices
D: Honey mustard chicken, Brussel sprouts, sweet potato, 1/4 cup trail mix

Yesterday I had no dessert but had a smoothie with my meal. It was just almond milk and a cup of frozen fruit. I am not counting it as dessert and I felt pretty victorious. It was my first green day I have had in a loooong time.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:52 pm

I'm working on slowing down my eating. I have been taking notice of the time and I eat my dinner in 5-6 minutes. lunch and breakfast are just as bad. I figure if it takes a while after I eat for my stomach to realize I am full, this is a worthwhile endeavor and one I have failed at numerous times. But I am trying again.

Thursday

L: Turkey sandwich, baby carrots, apple slices
D: Tuna salad with pasta, small bowl of greek yogurt with fruit and nuts
Last edited by pinkhippie on Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:40 pm

If I may, regarding stuggling over lack of dessert on N days, please consider first rereading the chapter in the book on that, if you have it. IF not, or if that isn't enough I humbly suggest making a chart with three columns: one for what is so good about having daily dessert- be honest, some part of you believes it is, so might as well get it out in the open-, what price you are paying for that, and what advantage there would be besides possible weight loss if you stuck to vanilla. Alternately, I've seen some people here opt for a limited dessert daily, including N days. But I have seen more trouble with that than not.

If I am repeating myself or overdoing it, forget what I say next but something that really helped me was reading that it took the average person 5 days in the 1850's to ingest the same amount of sugar that the average American ingests in seven HOURS. Were those people in the 1850's deprived of anything important? Questioning our assumptions is part of the process. I don't mean you'd have to drop to that amount, but it can help people get over the hump realizing that a limit of a couple of desserts a week is actually a pretty good deal!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:48 pm

Hi oolala!

Thank you for your thoughts! I do have the book and at your suggestion, I dug it out and re-read the sweets chapter. It is quite inspiring and a good reminder. Im going to read the rest of the book now. I have been doing this for so many years, but apparently, I needed a refresher. Also, I noticed that in 2008 when he wrote it he quotes the statistic of 60% of Americans being overweight, but just today I read a statistic that 73% of Americans are overweight. Wow. That went up.

Sugar really is addictive for me in my opinion, and it is well worth it to break the habit of a dessert every day. Thank you for your gentle reminder.

I have noticed as I come upon my third day without a dessert after dinner that it is getting easier and easier to not eat it. I think it's very much a habit. My kids had ice cream this evening and I didn't have any, nor was I tempted. My husband couldn't help himself and was scooping spoonfuls out of the container into his mouth as he scooped their ice cream. I was very glad I didn't feel that way.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:44 am

Re slowing down eating: I actually enjoy the physical act of eating and the chewing, I think it is a form of relaxation or stress release. So sometimes if I find myself rushing I remind myself to chew thoroughly and eat more slowly, otherwise the meal will all be over too soon. Also good to really savour something that's a bit of a treat.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:50 pm

If you keep this up, you will likely be astounded at how much sweet food (and drink) people think is necessary and pleasant. I am now at the point at which I pretty much look at it like a drug experience rather than "eating." Sugar doesn't have near the effect on the drug parts of the brain as heroin and the like but it does have some effect, and that has got to be what drives the desire. I know that's not a canonical No S attitude, but it's what has evolved. I still eat stevia-sweetened items quite often, so some would say I'm not a purist, but I don't try to make traditional desserts with stevia or other sweeteners. I consider it a blessing how little they factor into my eating now. I'm older now and appetite is lower so I like having room for more nutrients.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:50 pm

Hi Ladybird!

Thank you for your insight on eating slower. That is a great way to frame it, as being relaxing and a stress release. Im pretty sure my brain thinks the opposite when it comes to eating and that could be a big part of my problem. Im going to work on having the mindset of chewing slowly as relaxing.

Hi Oolala, yes I am sure I will be! I have started using stevia rather than sugar or honey to sweeten my tea and so far it's been working well.

I had a successful rest of my week and only had a small dessert on my S days (frozen yogurt, I love it so. I actually like it better than ice cream). So Im excited to start this coming week completely vanilla except leaving it open on Tuesday for an S day because it's a big Fourth of July party with lots of food and there might be a dessert I will want to try. We will see.

Yesterday was nice to just nibble if I wanted to and not worry about it. In many ways, I feel like I'm starting over with No S after just 6 months of regularly snacking. I'm assuming I will get back to feeling more comfortable without snacking eventually.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:21 pm

Monday at work even though so many people have off today. Everyone at my work has tomorrow off, so today just feels like a weird time marking throw-away day where no one works. I am grateful to get tomorrow off though.

I worked on eating my breakfast more slowly than normal this morning. Now to remember to do that for lunch and dinner!

Monday

Weight: 161 lbs

L: baked sweet potato with black beans, sour cream, and avocado
D: Chicken tenders, broccoli

LifeisaBlessing

Post by LifeisaBlessing » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:24 pm

Hi pink!

Thanks for the shout out—I also responded to you on my thread.😊

I share many of the same struggles you do with sweets and snacking. Although I do try to follow the NoS principles with minor mods as a base, my “default” is always to go back to the way of eating I had prior to 2016, especially whenever life gets extra challenging. The familiarity and comfort level it provided was a real draw throughout my peri hormonal struggles.

It’s always a great idea to regroup and get back to NoS as soon as you feel yourself going down the path of the familiar. The sooner you (and I lol) catch it, the better!😉
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
~Jimmy Dean

The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective.
~El Fug, on the NoS Diet

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:35 pm

Hi Life!

Thanks for saying hi!

yes, I know what you mean about being tempted to go down the familiar path. No S is a great framework! I am so grateful for it. No matter where I stray to, experimenting with other ways of eating, I always come back to No S.

This week I decided to make mason jar salads for lunch. I prepped them all ahead of time and so far they are working great! I love salads, so its nice to have a ready-made salad for lunch. I didn't go too crazy for the 4th. I had some homemade made from scratch cheesecake that was ah mazing! But other than that, it was pretty tame. I actually ended up eating my third meal at 3:30 pm and was so full at dinner time, I just didn't eat until today at breakfast. It's mentally very hard for me to not eat at dinner time so I was amazed and proud of myself that I didn't feel like I should "eat just a little something". Even though I wasn't hungry. I feel like I am also getting back in touch with my hunger and fullness cues, and that's a good feeling too.

I've been working on getting over the fear of being hungry in between lunch and dinner. The problem for me has been that I have a wretched commute and I typically eat dinner almost as soon as I get home, which means I am hungry during this already stressful experience. So navigating an empty stomach and an uncomfortable situation has been a challenge. I have to eat dinner as soon as I get home because of reflux. 4 hours before bed and all that. But, I have been getting better about letting myself feel hunger before dinner. Salads for lunch definitely help me be hungry for dinner. What I had been doing was waiting until very late to eat lunch and then eating a BIG lunch, so I wasn't hungry for dinner, but would eat anyway, which then made it extra hard to not overeat and want sweet treats. Because for me the biggest trigger for overeating is not being hungry when I eat. Pretty counter-intuitive I guess.

Wednesday

Weight 161 BMI 24.1

L: Spinach salad
D: One pot broccoli and Rice, half a smoothie in a bowl, almost like a sorbet just with mixed berries and almond milk blended
Last edited by pinkhippie on Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:42 am

Hi pinkhippie. I just wanted to jump on and say "great job" thinking through your eating habits and trialing different strategies to see what might work more successfully for you. I am especially impressed with your insight that not being hungry for meals may trigger overeating for you. I suspect not many people would come to that conclusion without putting in the focus you have on No S. So, to recap..... great job!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:48 pm

Hi WINhappy!

Thank you!

I have been working on this stuff for years so I can't take too much credit. It's amazing how long it takes to work through eating issues sometimes! And sometimes it feels like I understand and I have it, only to have to relearn it all again. It's a constant process. But thank you. :)

Yesterday driving home I got hungry about 15 minutes before I got home, so it wasn't terrible. I was hungry and could definitely feel when I reached satisfaction a lot easier.

Thursday

L: spinach salad
D: chicken and rice

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:40 am

Hi pinkhippie,

Your take on the learning process is very encouraging. It makes me feel less pressure to get everything figured out quickly and (the dreaded) "once and for all". :) Thanks for sharing this insight. Best regards, WIN

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:55 pm

Hi WINhappy! Im glad I can be encouraging. Sometimes I hesitate to tell people how long I've been working on this, as I don't want to discourage them. But I think there are no quick fixes to changing our habits and our mindset. And I have changed mine A LOT over the years. And even though sometimes I have to relearn things, it's easier than it was the first time.

I have had a completely green week so far! WOOOOOOHOOOO! Feels good!

The past few days have been really busy at work in the morning and Im not eating my breakfast til later than normal, which makes my lunch later than normal, which means my dinners have been smaller because Im not as hungry. A healthy dinner seems to be key to not being tempted to overeat. Like, not necessarily boring, but how much do you want to gorge on chicken, rice and broccoli?

M-T

B:Overnight Oats with banana
L: Cobb chicken salad in a jar, watermelon
D: chicken with apricot and rice, broccoli, watermelon

W

B:Overnight Oats with banana
L: Cobb chicken salad in a jar, watermelon,
D: a PBJ on whole grain bread, a small handful of potato chips, 1 watermelon chunk

Today I was craving a pbj. I didn't eat the whole thing as I got full, so I did a good job listening to my hunger cues. It is still SO Hard for me to stop plowing through my food when I realize I am full and not eat anymore. Its like unconscious programming. It's very hard to break but I am getting better at it.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:57 am

Hi pinkhippie,

I will not hijack your thread but please, let me assure you that I find the length of time you've been working towards your goals in this area inspiring rather than discouraging. I've read through A LOT of the posts on the General Discussion thread and I've noticed that many folks joined, posted a few times, then disappeared. I certainly don't blame them but - as someone who is really hoping that I can make No S a long term, LIVABLE solution - it's great to hear from someone who's stuck it out.

Congrats on a totally green week so far! Plus, you're on the home stretch with only two more days. Fantastic!

Your question about "who wants to gorge on chicken, broccoli, and rice" cracked me up. Too true, too true.

Keep giving yourself full credit for listening to your hunger cues, even if it still seems difficult. It IS difficult for so many reasons but your are doing great and the effort is worth it.

Sending you cyber-encouragement! Best regards, WIN

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:55 pm

Hi WIN!

Thank you so much for the kind and encouraging post! I am glad that I can be inspiring, and it is nice to know that my struggles and lessons I have learned can help someone else. I have read a lot of posts on here too and I see a lot of people disappear as well. To be fair, I have been on and off since I joined in 2010? But I always come back. Especially as I get older and I need more structure to maintain my weight or lose a bit. I love these forums, and I am sad that forums are heading the way of the dinosaur. But that's a different post!

Thursday

B:Overnight oats/banana
L: Cobb salad in a jar, watermelon
D: chicken with apricot, rice, and an almond milk fruit smoothie.

I came home on Thursday with a VERY sore throat. I was craving the smoothie and it felt really good on my throat.

I woke up feeling quite a bit better this morning. Friday evening is the beginning of my S day.

Friday

B:Apple cinnamon oatmeal with walnuts
L: half a ham and cheese sub, small handful of chips, watermelon
D: chicken,broccoli, watermelon and a so delicious coconut ice cream bar.

I made it through an entire Green week!!!!! I am so proud of myself!

Looking forward to snacking tomorrow if I feel like it, and having some of the caramels I bought last week but haven't had since Saturday. Also maybe some gummy bears.

Our oven has been broken for a couple of weeks and we have been waiting for our replacement oven. It's finally supposed to get delivered on Tuesday. Probably means more eating out this weekend than normal. We will see.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:33 pm

I had a lovely S day today. I started out eating regularly, then my husband and I went on a 3-mile hike in 90-degree weather and had a very late lunch, like 3:30 pm, and after that, it was all bets are off for S day.

B: Oatmeal with apples
S: watermelon
L 1 footlong veggie delite sub with a cookie and lemonade.
S: 10 gummy bears
S; half a cookie
S: 2 caramels
D: A bowl of vanilla frozen yogurt with chocolate sauce and whipped cream

It's what I wanted, it was delicious, and I felt satisfied, so... I ate it. I like to have my S days be more like intuitive eating days where I practice eating exactly what I want with the freedom of being able to have it when I want.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:43 am

Glad you enjoyed it.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:42 am

Hi Pink! It sounds like you’re in a pretty good groove although I know it’s an ongoing struggle that can have varying degrees of difficulty.

I like the idea of using more of an intuitive approach on the weekends. I think I try to make it too hard on my S days for fear of overeating, but it backfires on me. Btw, your food sounds really yummy!

So sorry about your reflux. that is something I struggled with for years. It does take awhile to get it figured out as we all have different triggers. For me it was caffeine and carbonation mostly but other things could trigger it too. For some reason it’s gotten so much better over time. When I was in Iceland, I even discovered that I can tolerate coffee again!! So that’s just to say that it mostly likely will change over time. (have you tried a wedge pillow?)

L
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:42 pm

Hi ladybird! thank you!

Hi Linda! Well, you know how it goes, get into a groove, stumble out, get in... Im hoping I can stay in my groove a little longer this time!

I have not tried a wedge pillow but we have our bed propped up. I have read that reflux can be a hormone thing in women and heard from someone on here that after they went through menopause it went away. My fingers are crossed that it's the case for me! I have definitely gotten better as I navigate what I can eat, but I still have to be careful.

Wow, coffee again! I miss coffee. Im so happy for you!

So, green week so far on a Tuesday. :) I feel like I have finally gotten out of the automatic habit of sweets on a weekday. I am grateful. My husband saved me half a brownie yesterday and I told him to go ahead and eat it because I don't eat sweets on weekdays. I didn't feel sad or deprived, just matter of fact. Also, I can get more brownies on the weekend if I really want them. :)

Monday:

L: Taco salad in a jar, watermelon
D: 3 chicken strips, broccoli

Tuesday:

B: Overnight Oats with berries
L: Taco salad in a jar, watermelon
D: Butternut Squash chicken stew, toast with butter.
Last edited by pinkhippie on Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:24 pm

Today I did not finish my lunch. I reached the point of fullness and it just didn't taste amazing at that point. It didn't taste amazing at any point, and I am definitely taking that recipe off my list. However, in the past I would have continued to eat because I would be worried about "not making it to dinner". But today I was like so? maybe I will get a little hungry before dinner. Barring lightheadedness, thats not the end of the world. (neither is lightheadedness but I don't like to drive home feeling that way) We have a vending machine for food emergencies if I need it.

So, I stopped eating and threw away what remained of my salad. We will see how I feel around dinnertime. But I feel very pleased that I didn't continue eating when I was full. I need to remember that feeling and try to keep doing that at meals. It's also a lot easier to do that with a salad vs a delicious processed carby meal too.

Wednesday

L: Taco salad in a jar,, watermelon
D: Butternut Squash chicken stew, bread with peanut butter and honey
Last edited by pinkhippie on Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:40 pm

Stopping when you have had enough is a really great thing. Well done

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:38 am

What a nice feeling to be able to say you don't eat sweets on weekdays and that you don't have to finish a meal if you're not hungry, and then really follow through on both with action. :mrgreen:

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jul 20, 2023 6:53 pm

Thank you Soprano! I would say that is the #1 thing I struggle with. Stopping when I have had enough.

Hi Amy, yes it was! It's a good feeling to be able to follow through.

Last night I realized I REALLY didn't like my soup. Wasn't in the mood for it AT ALL. It didn't taste good to me. And my salad hadn't been that great either, and I was like, I need some food that I actually enjoy. So I ate only about half my soup and then got a piece of fresh bread with some peanut butter and a drizzle of honey and ate that instead. So delicious! Then I felt satisfied mentally and physically. I am not counting that as red since I didn't eat my whole bowl of soup. Virtual plating. :) Im planning on having a peanut butter sandwich for dinner tonight too. I think I will freeze the rest of that stew. Maybe later down the road I will want it.

B: Overnight oats with berries
L: Taco salad with avocado and watermelon (avocado helped make this taste much better to me, and change it up a bit)
D: Peanut butter jelly sandwich on whole grain bread, pretzels

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:10 am

Definitely think it’s smart to eat something that you find more satisfying. Ive literally taken something off my plate & replaced the spot with something more enjoyable. seems fair! 😊
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:15 pm

Hi Linda!

Yes! I think that mental satisfaction point is very important too! Otherwise I just end up eating and eating and eating trying to feel satisfied.

Today I had a busy day. My oldest daughter has Covid. :( I went to the store and bought her some groceries and medicine. Of course, she had none at her apartment. Then my hike for tomorrow got canceled because one of the ladies was sick and the one's husband came home with fever and chills. Yikes. Covid is starting to go around again here I think. My co-worker's son tested positive this week too.

I also took my 14 year old for her permit test. She didn't pass and was sad. I tried to tell her that this test is HARD. almost no one passes the first time. I was hoping but not expecting her to pass.

I had to eat my lunch early because of the test and now Im feeling that hunger between lunch and dinner. It's not even HUNGER, it's just the desire to nosh on something. Being at home around all the food makes it tricky too.

B: Oats with apples, cinnamon, and raisins.
L: Open face egg salad sandwich, half an apple
D: 2 chicken strips, sauteed broccoli, frozen yogurt with whipped cream and chocolate shell.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:16 am

Sounds like a tough day - I hope your daughter gets through Covid without too much trouble!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:54 pm

Thank you Amy!

My daughter has been feeling pretty bad but is getting through it.

Yesterday, Monday, I had the urge to eat a sweet. Just a little saltwater taffy, nothing BIG. But I knew from past experience, that Monday is the hardest. It's coming off the weekend of sweets and the habit/addiction? is already starting to build. If I resist on Monday, I'm usually good for the rest of the week.

I am not having the sweet urge today so I think that theory is holding.

Monday - Tuesday

B: Overnight Oats with Berries
L: Ranch chicken salad
D: Baked pork chops with potatoes and broccoli, greek yogurt with blueberries.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:15 am

I agree, Monday really is the hardest day of the week! Good on you for recognizing that and being mindful about it.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:17 pm

Hi Amy,

Yes Monday really can be tough!

So.. all that and I decided to make today an S day! :lol:

My work had the Breyer ice cream truck come to give free ice cream to the employees today. I was waffling on whether or not I wanted to go but ultimately decided it only happens once a year and to go ahead and make it an S day. I wasn't in the mood for my salad AT ALL. I woke up feeling kind of like I just wanted to curl into blankets and eat comfort food. So, it worked out.

L: Breyers ice cream bar, peanut M&M's, watermelon.
D:

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:53 am

Hi pinkhippie,
I just wanted to say (for what it's worth) that I think you did the right thing making Monday an S day, especially since you made the decision in advance and not as a write-off after the fact. I hope you enjoyed it to the fullest.

I also hope your daughter is recovering from her Covid infection and that your other daughter is feeling less discouraged about her permit test. Don't forget to take good care of yourself while you're taking care of your loved ones. :)

Best regards, WIN

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:34 pm

Hi WIN thank you! My daughter recovered well, and my other daughter got to work studying more for her second attempt test and asking endless questions any time we drive anywhere! :lol:

However, *I* got sick! I had LOTS and LOTS of S days since that Wednesday.

I didn't have Covid, I haven't seen my daughter in 2 months( I dropped the groceries on her doorstep) and I had 4 negative Covid tests. But wow was I sick! I had a fever from Wednesday afternoon to Sunday morning. And my appetite tanked. I didn't want salad, or meat, or whole grain ANYTHING. I wanted watermelon, toast(white bread), popsicles, more toast, smoothies... I found it interesting that when I was sick my body didn't want anything to do with traditional healthy foods except for fruit. And it was SOOOO easy to listen to my body. I could tell to the second when I was done with food. Many times I didn't finish my whole meal, because I could feel the dissipation of my hunger very quickly. I didn't have any kind of stomach bug, just a fever, muscle aches, and a headache. But it was very interesting to me when it came to the food. LOL, I guess even in the throes of illness that just doesn't go away for some of us! :lol:

I am on the road to recovery today and back to work. I didn't have time/energy to prep my lunches or dinner over the weekend and I don't care. My appetite is still not completely back for "regular" food.

Monday

B: 1 piece of toast, 1 cup of instant oatmeal
L: half a turkey sandwich, watermelon
D: mixed berry smoothie, animal crackers

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:37 am

Oh dear, pink, it sounds like you've had a miserable time of it. I'm glad you're feeling on the mend!

I have had similar experiences with changes in appetite when I've been sick in the past and it's always felt so strange. My completely unscientific theory is that the body's needs take priority over those of the mind when ill, and sends all resources to fighting against the illness, full steam ahead. Being sick is NO FUN at all (and it sounds like you were REALLY sick) so I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell. Good job listening to what your body needs, though!

As an aside, the food that you felt comfortable eating while ill reminds me of the BRAT diet my mom always prescribed for sickness (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast). Has worked like a charm for me for decades. :)

Wishing you a continued and speedy recovery. WIN

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:42 am

Sorry to hear you have had such a bad time, wishing you a speedy recovery to full health.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:20 am

So sorry to hear you were so sick! But glad to hear you're doing better now. Yes, appetite really does change with an illness. Hope you get back to feeling yourself again soon!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:12 pm

Hi WIN! It's true, being sick is such a bummer! Yes good point, it was a very bland diet that appealed to me and not a lot of fat. I think the body definitely takes the front seat when I'm sick. I just wish it could do that more often. Like, my mind wants cookies but my body doesn't so no cookies. Ahh well, it's a work in progress.

Thank you, Soprano! I am slowly recovering, definitely better than I was yesterday!

Thank you, Amy, I hope so too! It's amazing how long it takes to feel back to yourself after an illness.

Appetite is slowly coming back and I am looking forward to my sandwich for lunch. So, I think that is a good sign.

Tuesday

B: Instant Oatmeal
L: Turkey sandwich with watermelon
D:

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:10 am

I guess we can't rush feeling better, the body needs the time it needs. And reduced appetite is a big part of that. Sometimes I wish I could keep my "sick" appetite around for a while.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:51 am

Hi Pink, hope you are feeling better now after your illness.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:18 pm

hah hah Amy, I know what you mean about wanting to keep the "sick" appetite.

Thank you ladybird! I am feeling better now. I can't believe how long I felt sick! And now I have a cough but it's slowly going away.

I have been tweaking my eating routine and finally started seeing the scale go down. I finally broke the 160's and am now seeing the high 150's. My work schedule has changed back to 5 days a week 8 hour days and although I will miss the Friday off, I will not miss the 10-hour days. Those were so intense! Life feels easier getting home at 4:30 instead of 5:45 and having more time in the morning before work as well.

I have noticed I really like to eat a variety of things at the end of the day and if I don't I feel deprived. So, rather than try to crush that habit, I am just trying to work it in and eat small amounts of things. For example, this week when I get home I have been having some fresh watermelon, a small amount of dinner just for the health benefits and the protein, and then a Greek yogurt and berry parfait sprinkled with granola, or a small bowl of cereal. This makes me feel happy and I am not overeating dinner because I have accounted for this eclectic mix of food on my plate with virtual plating. I used to eat a normal-sized dinner and then add on the extra, then I felt mentally happy but physically unhappy. So, we will see how it goes. This is my second week of experimentation.

Mon - Thur

B: Instant Protein Oatmeal, half a banana
L: Greek Rice bowl, watermelon
D: Chicken and veggies with yogurt, berries, granola(or a ramekin of Crispix in almond milk)

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:46 am

pinkhippie wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:18 pm

I have noticed I really like to eat a variety of things at the end of the day and if I don't I feel deprived.
Yes, I've discovered that boredom with one's usual food is a thing.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:18 pm

Hi pinkhippie,

Congratulations on seeing the scale go down, but (perhaps more importantly), I'm glad that your work schedule has adjusted to something that gives you a little more time every day for yourself. That's so important and its value sometimes gets lost in the demands of paid employment. I also hope your cough continues to subside.

Good job realizing that you like variety in the evening. That sounds like exactly the kind of individualized insight that helps people succeed - I have no doubt that you will do so as well. I hope things have been going well for you since your last check-in.

Best regards, WINhappy

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:26 pm

Hi ladybird and WIN happy thanks for checking in with me!

My cough is almost completely gone and I am glad. I sounded like I was hacking up a lung for about 3 weeks there and I know especially during these Covid times I was making people very uncomfortable.

I have been ultra extra busy at work and life has been nuts. Last week, I'm pretty sure every day was red, due to a piece of chocolate or an oreo cookie after work that I felt I just HAD to have. But, I still made room for it on my plate and didn't have seconds so I think Im doing pretty good. My weight has continued to oh soooo slowly come down.

This week I have been doing much better. I also have been consistently for the first time in MY LIFE lifting weights 2-3 times a week. I think I started back in March? This is definitely a record. I have really noticed a difference in my level of accidental injury as well. I was getting to the point where just twisting wrong hurt my back and I had a weird tricep injury that didn't heal for over a year, but doing very basic weights over this period of time has healed my arm and my back is so much better. So, I'm really happy about that. I think that's why I keep doing them. It's not the motivation to look better, although I do. It's the ability to move without injury. Amazing how much I took that for granted when I was younger!

Tuesday BMI 23.5

I am very close to my goal. Now the trick is to maintain it.

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:25 pm

Maintaining a good lifestyle is important! But it sounds like you also enjoy your routine so that should definitely make it easier! Good to hear your weight is still dropping! :D
SW: 65.8 kg CW: 62.8 kg - GW: 59.9 kg

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:14 am

Glad to hear you're feeling better! It sounds like, despite your busy schedule, you've been able to keep the good habits you worked hard to establish, that in and of itself is a huge accomplishment. And well done on starting to lift weights - I agree with you 100% that this is so important as we get older, to avoid becoming frail and more susceptible to injury. You are so close to your goal - it is crazy how much slower things go when we get close to goal, but hang in there!

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:28 am

Congrats on the weight lifting, you will thank your younger self as you get older. The difference in energy levels and general liveliness between those who keep themselves reasonably fit and those who haven't is really noticeable in my social circles. I mix mainly with people in their sixties and seventies.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:34 pm

Hi pinkhippie,
Congratulations on staying consistent with weight training. That is wonderful and will pay huge dividends in overall good health over time. Congratulations also on continuing to make progress towards your goal, even with a few minor red days. It can be so easy for a small digression to dissolve into a major feast so great job avoiding that trap! Best regards, WIN

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:54 pm

Hi Everyone!

I have been gone for a bit because school started and it got NUTS at my work! I work at a community college. They did a network upgrade and switched to a new software all before this semester so Im sure you can imagine the craziness.

Thank you Ellis! I do enjoy my routine for the most part. I love having the pressure valve of doing whatever I want on weekends.

Hi Amy! yes, I agree with you about the weights! It's part of my motivation for keeping going.

Hi Ladybird! Im hoping to be a relatively spry and fit older woman, so Im defintely doing this for the future. I already got a little taste of what its like to not be able to be active and I don't want it to become a way of life.

Hi WIN! thank you! Im quite amazed with myself being able to stay consistent with the weights.

So, I went on a 5 mile hike a couple weekends ago with my very small hiking group. Two other women both younger than me. This was the first hike I have been on with them where I wasn't nursing an injured back, or an injured knee, or having to be careful the way I bent. I was able to do everything they did and have fun and I know it was 100% due to the weight lifting. That memory is one thing that gets me out of bed at 5:45 am 3 days a week to do my weights.

My weight has also dropped a bit more. I am SOOOOO close to 155 now! 156.2 for several days. I have discovered I need a bigger breakfast even if Im not as hungry come lunchtime because that keeps me from being ravenous after work and overeating at dinner time.

I am continuing to work on building the habits.

Thanks for the support and encouragement everyone!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:55 am

It sounds like things are going well - keep up the great vibe you have going! :mrgreen:

I had an experience very similar to what you had with your last hike, after I started really doing resistance training - we were on vacation in Norway and were doing a hike up to a glacier, whereby you had to pull yourself up these huge boulders with ropes. It dawned on me that the only reason I was able to do it was because I had been training the past six months and because of that, was strong enough. Like you, the memory of this is what keeps me doing it! I am shooting for spry and fit as well!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:37 pm

Hi Amy,

Wow! That sounds like an intense hike! If you can do that, you are definitely doing something right in the spry and fit department!

I have been just plugging along. Pretty boring really.

My weakest point is still and has always been immediately after dinner. I really have the habit of having something additional with my meal. Whether its a smoothie, or a rameken of cereal or fruit. Its like I just don't feel satisfied without it.

My weight has still been dropping slowly though. I am doing my weights but need to add in some cardio. I really dislike cardio so this has been slow going and very sporadic.

nettee

Post by nettee » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:34 pm

Well done Pinkhippie. Boring is good - consistency is key and this plan gets easier and more boring as you go on with it.
3 tasty meals a day and loving it

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:17 pm

Hi pinkhippie,
I have every confidence that you will succeed, especially as you're doing a great job keeping up with your habits. I'm rooting for you! How are you doing with your plan to incorporate more cardio? WIN

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:51 am

By cardio, do you mean running on a treadmill? I dislike the very thought of it. Walking and electric bike riding on the other hand I find highly enjoyable.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:31 pm

Hi!

I'm glad I dropped in on this because I am trying to get myself to do resistance work and hearing the stories here of how it's helped is good. I can walk long distances (even though I don't all the time) but I know that as I age- just turned 70- strength will really be a benefit that goes beyond the walking.

May I ask how tall you are?

I"m curious what the sense of not being satisfied after dinner might be about. Do you think there is something legitimate about it enough to try some kind of mod that would allow it? It might need only to be temporary. I remember way back when I started, I had been eating three meals and two snacks a day of rather precise makeup, which I actually enjoyed (though it didn't stop me from bingeing). I added the snack food to next meal when I started Vanilla.That wasn't really a mod; I didn't want to take the binge food and the snack amount away at the same time, so it was still three meals, just a little bigger meals. I slowly decreased the snack amount until most days I had pretty much dropped it. I could see you allowing for the extra for awhile, maybe putting all the food in front of you at dinner, but allowing for some of it to be eaten a bit later.

Sometimes people find eating more earlier in the day , even though a lot of hunger doesn't show up then, to quell nighttime urges.

In any case, there's room for personalizing! Best wishes on the successes so and for just continuing the learning.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:33 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am sorry I abandoned you! Work has been so crazy intense stressful that I stopped socializing online pretty much at all. The network issues are STILL happening.

Thank you nettee! I agree that consistency is good. Its hard sometimes but I am working on it as it relates to weight lifting.

Thank you WINhappy! I have FAILED with the cardio :lol: I was going to start getting up 15 minutes earlier to get it in in the morning and then we had the time change which knocked me down for quite a while, and then a break which messed up my schedule... I feel like i never get enough sleep. Its only 15 minutes but its hard right now.

Ladybird3: cardio like my elliptical(sooooo boring!) brisk walking, jogging, riding my bike...

Hi oolala!

I am 5ft 8.5 inches but My dr says Im 5'9". I still believe my own measurement though. :D

I think I still kind of have a hard day and want to eat as a reward mentality for dinner. I am not sure how to conquer it. When Im not working, I have noticed a pattern that works well for me is a big lunch and then a small dinner. No deprivation felt. but on work days it feels impossible to get a lunch big enough and filling enough and then when I get home, I want to eat as I look forward to being home and eating dinner. So, I am not sure what to do.

I have managed to maintain at 155 but I have developed a bad habit of stress snacking at work. I need to start stress-drinking tea instead.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:40 pm

Well, I decided I have to make exercise a top priority. I have noticed that lately, I have become so much more anxious and having a hard time sleeping. I really feel that I need some cardio/physical activity. I have noticed that helps a lot.

This morning I got up at my usual time and squeezed in 10 minutes. Not ideal. I am going to have to get up earlier. Which is tough, since I already get up at 5:45 am. but, I think I need to aim for at least 5:30 to get a 20-minute work out in and have time to shower.

Evening would be better, but I have noticed for me if I don't work out first thing in the morning, every hour that goes by is a higher chance that I am not going to do it. It's so much harder to stick to and I have big exercise obstacles already. So, on Thursday I'm going to try 5:30 and see what happens.

This afternoon is going to be tough because I am getting off work early. Every time I get off work early I want to eat to celebrate. It's so automatic and so deep-rooted. I'm going to do my best to hold off, or maybe at the most drink a stevia-sweetened drink instead. We will see.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:21 am

How did it go with your plans this week?

I also had to make the decision to set my alarm ten minutes earlier to have enough margin to get my workouts in. But like you, I really notice the positive impact it has on my mood and mindset, so I feel like it's worth it. Also because, like you, the chance that I get it done after work is minimal. But yeah, 5.30 is pretty darn early (but then so is 5.45!). Hang in there!

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:59 am

Hi Pinkhippie!

Like Amy, I'm checking in to see how things are going for you. I hope everything is going well, but if you're still working on some challenges, that's fine too!

I completely understand the celebration mentality, especially after a long, stressful day of work. I have no great advice because it's probably my biggest challenge, but one principle that helps me (in my better-self moments, at least!) is that it can be easier to "do something" than "not do something". So instead of concentrating on "not eating, not eating, not eating, not eating to celebrate when I get home", perhaps consider focusing on an active behavior that you can do? For example, "when I get home, I will drink three glasses of water on my couch with my feet up and my eyes closed before I eat anything", or anything else that is simple, and as indulgent as you can possibly think of that isn't food. I'm still working on this myself, but this approach helps me, and every little bit helps!

Please don't discount the effort involved in waking up earlier than you normally would to exercise. Fifteen minutes may not seem a huge adjustment but our bodies may consider it a bigger one than our minds, especially when you're already stressed and over-tired from work. It's a great goal AND it might take some time to establish (kind of like No S! :)). Both can be true simultaneously, so just keep chipping away at it, and give yourself a standing ovation for any change you can make, no matter how seemingly minor.

Best, WIN

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:28 pm

Hi Amy!

Thanks for checking in ! You're right, 5:45 is pretty early but it really is worth it!

Hi Win! great idea to focus on doing something rather than nothing. That's a good mindset difference to focus on. I'm going to work on that. Thank you for the encouragement to keep up the cardio!

So, The very next cardio day after my previous post I set my alarm for 5:30 and have been getting up to do about a 20-minute cardio workout on the elliptical ever since. I have been pretty impressed with myself. I sleep in til 5:45 on weights day. Now 5:45 feels like sleeping in! :D

I am still figuring out the challenge of working out on weekends, but for now, I have not gotten there. However, now I am working out cardio twice a week, and weights three times a week and I have been consistent so I am counting it as a win. I have already noticed it helping my anxiety and my stress so I am motivated to keep it up. Today was the beginning of my Christmas vacation and even though I got up at 7:30 I still jumped into my workout clothes and got a 20-minute cardio workout in. My goal is to keep that going over the break.

As far as no S goes, since about Thanksgiving, it's been pretty much a failure every day. I can't believe how many sweets and treats are running around right now. My goal now is to only have 3 meals and incorporate a sweet with it. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would go off the rails and eat a lot more. Not sure why it seems so much harder this year than in previous years. Work definitely has opened up the temptations way more than before. People are always bringing in cookies or donuts or candy since Thanksgiving. And then there are the Christmas parties and the MIL's who make my favorite peanut butter fudge and bring it to my house.

Today I managed breakfast, and lunch with some peanut butter chocolate popcorn and 2 pieces of peanut butter fudge and I'm hoping to hold off until a reasonable dinner with vegetables and maybe a little more popcorn or one piece of fudge. It's HARD. And this is the year I had absolutely no Halloween candy and didn't feel tempted. Not sure what has changed but I will keep on working at it.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:40 am

Well done, Pink, on having the determination to get up early and get your workouts in each day! You have every reason to be impressed with yourself - I am impressed too! :D Like you, I notice that the days I get the workout in, I feel so much better. I also heard on a podcast somewhere that people who work out in the morning are more confident and effective at work later in the day, so that is extra motivation for me, too.

But it has always been a bit of a conundrum to me that I can be so disciplined with one thing (exercise) and still struggle with another thing (food) - it sounds like you are in the same boat at the moment. It really is HARD! And it just occurred to me, that with the exercise, we have both managed to really focus on the benefits the exercise will bring us longer term. While with food, I don't know about you, but for me, I rarely stop to think about how the food will make me feel over the longer term, I just want to have it in the moment! And this time of year is a challenging time in that respect!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:07 pm

Hi Amy,

Thank you!

That is good motivation about being extra confident at work!

Yeah, food has gone down the drain for me. I feel like I'm either doing great at exercising, but not food, or great at food but not exercising. It's so hard to find that ground where I am doing relatively well with both. I am off work all this week so I am trying to just keep to 3 meals a day but not worry if there is a dessert tucked into that meal. I am surrounded by goodies. So far my weight has remained stable and I feel ok, so I guess that strategy is working. I know what you mean about thinking about how the food makes you feel not working. I can know I will feel bad but still choose to eat it anyway. Ahh well, a work in progress.

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:36 pm

Hi pinkhippie, I just wanted to reach out and say "hi" and that I hope you are enjoying your Christmas vacation. Best, WINhappy

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:56 pm

Hi WIN!
Thank you! I hope you had a great vacation if you had one.

I enjoyed my vacation but didn't end up staying with my workout. However, I think it was OK. This morning, the first day back at work I still got up early and did my workout.

I ate pretty badly over break, however this morning I weighed the same as I did before break. I think I ate less food on break because I was way less stressed, way less bored, and more relaxed. I ate food that wasn't the greatest for me but I waited until I was hungry and stopped when I was full. I ate 3 times a day and didnt' snack for the most part. I feel like at work and when I get home from work my stomach is a bottomless pit and I can't tell when I am full.

So, this is a good thing to realize and hopefully, I can work on it. I think Im in sugar withdrawal today though. I haven't had any sugar since yesterday afternoon and I have a headache. I think I may ease myself back into the world of no sugar with just a small piece of candy or fudge with dinner this week. ( I have peanut butter fudge coming out of my ears)

WINhappy

Post by WINhappy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:37 pm

Hi pink!

First, AMAZING job getting up early before your first day back at work to exercise. I am impressed!!

Second, I completely agree with your hypothesis that lower stress and more relaxation can make a big difference in how our bodies and appetites respond day by day. I'm glad you didn't lose any ground despite having peanut butter fudge coming out your ears (GREAT imagery, by the way! Made me laugh). Good job sticking to three meals a day during your break. I think you showed that every No S habit has positive impact, even when we aren't following all three of them consistently. What a relief, right? :)

I hope your headache has resolved and you are moving past the sugar withdrawal. I think our bodies align themselves to what we give them regularly, so there's always an adjustment period when we make changes. Be good to yourself and drink lots of water. :) Take care! WINhappy

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:51 pm

Hi WIN!

LOl I read this while eating fruit snacks at work! :D

I have gotten way off track and I don't know how to get myself back on.

I have gotten into this terrible habit of eating as soon as I walk in the door after work. I don't wait for my dinner to heat up, or to finish making the kids dinner. I don't even think Im that hungry as it's usually around 4:30. And, I am snacking all day long at work.

I need to figure out how to get back on track on my habits. Work has been SUPER stressful lately so that's probably part of it.

I will be back later, I am so glad its Friday! :)

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:05 pm

I am back!

And its a Monday. :shock:

I definitely don't like how I feel when I eat with abandon all the time. I don't like how I feel when I eat when Im not hungry. Food isn't even as good. I don't like the mildly out-of-control feeling I get when I do eat all day long. At first, it feels like freedom but then later it feels like shackles, sometimes even like I have no choice but to eat. I don't like how I feel when I eat sugar every day. And I really don't like how I feel when I see my face getting fuller and my pants getting tighter. So, Im recommiting today to my style of vanilla No S. I don't like how I feel when I eat without structure.

It always seems to help when I record my meals so I will start doing that again too.

Monday 2/26/2024
Current BMI: 24.6

B Oatmeal with raisins
L 3 pieces of leftover pizza, 2 clementines
D 1.5 chicken tenders, broccoli, cottage cheese with pineapple

My goal is to have a green week. Here I go!
Last edited by pinkhippie on Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:30 am

Welcome back, Pink! You can do this, you know exactly what you need to do (structure, logging meals...) to get back on track. And you are very clear on what you want to move away from. You got this! :mrgreen:

Have a good, green week!

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:15 pm

Hi Amy,

Thank you! I really appreciate your words of encouragement!

I did manage to have a green day yesterday and I was very proud of myself. It was motivation to know that I was posting my meals here so I will keep doing that.

Tuesday 2/272024

B: apples and cinnamon protein oatmeal(2packages)
L: bowl of white chicken chili with white corn chips, 2 clementines
D:

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:05 pm

Amazing!

I thought I had posted more recently than this!

Oh well, I have been doing pretty good. The first few days were the toughest and today is Monday after a weekend so Im hoping it won't be too challenging. I have been sticking to 3 meals, no snacks and no dessert and even no seconds all last week so I hope I can continue to do it.