Worth it check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:25 pm

January 9, 2018

40 min walk
30 mins Pilates Reformer workout

19.5/5 (?)

Just want to say thank you to everyone for their support... I am going to need it.

Oh boy, I didn’t expect that maintenance would cause me so much drama. The past few days have felt a little like my wild S days when I was doing vanilla No S! The first day of “maintenance†was pretty wild- At dinner, I ate a lot more pizza than I normally would have, but I just chalked it up to perhaps being a little hungrier since I had worked out a lot that day. Basically, I didn’t really sweat it. However, the next day, when I ate a large lunch and then proceeded to eat an equally large dinner, to the point where I was consciously stuffed....and STILL shoved dessert my mouth, I had to wonder what was going on. Although there have been some weeks where I’ve had several crazy eating days, I don’t usually have more than one day in a row, and I’m wondering if it’s perhaps a subconscious “challenge†to announcing my going into maintenance mode.

Could I really be testing myself? Could it be that I still don’t trust myself around food even after using No S/fasting seemed to have built my confidence? Ironically, my out of control journey with intuitive eating 5 years ago was what led me to No S, because I read somewhere online that doing No S was sort of like intuitive eating “with training wheels on†(I could be quoting Oolala). Anyway, today I cut back on carbs Because I noticed that when I don’t eat as many carbs for my meals I tend to not be as hungry and/or more in control of my meals. But could I be lying to myself that I’m just trying to limit my calories and/or control my eating habits instead? How will I know that cutting back on things like sweets and carbs for the purpose of “moderation†is not just another attempt to diet or essentially control my eating? What’s the difference anyway? Sigh. This is going to be a lot harder than I thought. 😬

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:05 pm

Hang in there! I’m not in maintenance right now but kind of saying I’m just doing 19/5 and wherever my body ends up is good. Well if I gain, I won’t be good but if I don’t lose I’m okay with that. It’s not that different than maintenance but somehow the different wording seems to help with my mindset.

It’s hard to figure out how much leeway you can give yourself now that you’re not trying to lose more weight. It seems like it’d be very freeing but somehow it didn’t end up feeling that way to me. Anyway, can you just keep fasting in a comfortable window and eat to satiety when you do eat?
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:25 am

I find this really interesting because I don't ever see me eating any differently in the future to how I do now I just assume my body will reach a good weight and maintain it with no change from me.

For me thats what the plan has been about. The only thing I might change is how often I weigh.

I know it's called nos diet but I just don't see it as a diet. It's about learning to eat in a moderate way for life.

I know you've been fasting which from what I've observed on fasting boards has two types of people those that use it to lose weight then stop and because they've treated it as a diet have the diet rebound and those that use it for health and never stop.

I think what I'm clumsily trying to say is to lose weight and keep it off you need permanent diet and mental changes.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:21 am

I’m not fond of goal weights. Yes, I do think it could be messing with you.

Unless you had drastically reduced your intake, it takes only a couple of hundred calories, if that, to keep a body from continuing to lose. That’s really just a few more bites at each meal. But so what if it takes a little time to find your range? And it probably won’t be the same amount of food every day.

You’ll get it!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Just to piggy-back a bit on what Soprano said, I also was a bit confused when I read the post (and Linda's shared experience). I am still not sure why I don't quite relate, but I think it might be what Soprano said - that I consider my NoS (and my personal mods) to be my "way of eating". If I started gaining, I'd reevaluate. I doubt we ever can just do the same thing for ever - our metabolisms like to change on us.

But even though I'm sorry I don't relate to the issue, my gut feeling is the same as Linda's suggestion of just finding some eating window you like (and feel is happily sustainable), and doing that one as long as it is working for you. Switch it up if you start gaining.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

worth it

Post by worth it » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:23 pm

January 10, 2018

(Will be) 19/5
35 mins Pilates Reformer workout

Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback and thoughts.

Linda, thank you particularly for your suggestion- I think perhaps it was just my declaring that I was going into maintenance that just messed with my mind-who knows? Maybe it made me panic that I’d have nothing to obsess/over analyze about any longer? But I’m with you- I’ll just “do maintenance†without yelling it from the rooftops.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I’ll just continue to do 19/5 like I have been for the past year and try not to think too much about it. If I throw a couple of low carb days in there or overeat a couple of days here and there, I’ll try not to over-analyze that I’m trying to control my weight vs. simply trying to moderate my eating. Either way, I’m not willing to do anything different than 19/5- which has changed my health and life in so many ways. I’m sure my eating will eventually end up “balanced†within my eating window. So onwards!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:44 am

I’m guessing maintenance feels different for us IFers because there’s so many different IF schedules to choose from whereas NoS is NoS maintenance or not. I like 19/5 though too. It’s short enough to get Appetite Correction but long enough to be relatively easy and, therefore, sustainable.

You’ve got this!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:20 pm

lpearlmom wrote:I’m guessing maintenance feels different for us IFers because there’s so many different IF schedules to choose from whereas NoS is NoS maintenance or not.
Bingo. I think you've hit on it. The very great number of choices can maybe be overwhelming.

And worth it - yes onwards!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

worth it

Re: Worth it check-in

Post by worth it » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:35 pm

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing well.

So, here I am after one year of Intermittent Fasting, and I’m still at it. This morning, I made the very difficult decision to weigh myself, and I’m not sure yet how I feel about it. According to my last weigh-in that I remember about a year ago, I am down about 26 lbs. While I honestly thought it would be more (I thought closer to 30 lbs.), I have to say that I still feel great. It’s amazing what IF has done for my life, especially with the addition of the regular exercise on the Pilates Reformer and walking. I feel healthy, strong, and confident, my back is healed and my body shape has changed significantly (down 2 sizes)...so much more than only a 26lb. loss...But at the same time, I think, I should really be lower, no? All that for only 26lbs? Ugh. The scale is just so triggering for me... I hope the decision to weigh doesn’t lead to behaviors that make me rebel.

I recently got out of a period of about a month or so, where I had felt like rebelling. During this time, I continued to do my 19/5 regimen most days, but really tried to focus on how great I felt and tried to put my wish of being smaller on the back burner. In fact, I’m trying to have my focus be on only two things this next year: eating more mindfully (and slower) and eating more non-processed food, whenever possible. This part has actually been pretty fun, as I’ve done a lot more cooking and enjoyed getting back to enjoyable sit-down dinners with my family most evenings.

As I write, I’m realizing that I will just continue on this journey and accept the outcome and myself for what it is. Strong, healthy and confident about 80% of the time is much better than only 5%, which is probably where I was before. I will use this wonderful habit I built over the past year, day by day, to propel me mentally and physically forward into this continuing decade as I turn 41 on Monday. While I have been experiencing a crossroads of sorts in my career, I do feel good about my physical and mental condition personally. The best feeling is to know I can rely on these positive habits and feelings to guide me through other areas of my life.

Here’s to my continuing confidence and success no matter what the numbers say. I’m also wishing that for everyone else on this forum. Peace and good health to all!

Will be (at least) 19/5
B: 2 cups coffee with half and half
L: will be: avocado and maybe eggs (depends on how hungry I am)
D: will be: Panera you pick two (soup and salad)

45 min walk
Break from Pilates Reformer workout today (sore from too many days in a row)

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:26 pm

Lovely to hear from you and wow you've done brilliant with your loss.

So pleased for you

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:01 am

Hi Worth It! Amazing weight loss you've achieved. I'm not sure whether you still feel you are overweight or not, but I'm sure if you were to compare blood pressure, blood glucose, and overall energy you are in a much better place health-wise than a year ago.

I turned 42 last October, and I really feel I'm in a new phase of life. For me, this decade feels like its about following my dreams - kind of like my 20's felt. My 30's were just nose to the grindstone, survival. The author of a Wrinkle in Time wrote of her 30's - "The Tired Years". I concur.

Anyway, like Soprano put it, lovely to see you here. I've missed you!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:13 am

Congrats!!
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:49 am

Hi Worth! Congratulations on your brilliant achievement. I think 26lb is a fantastic result! So great to hear from you. X

worth it

Post by worth it » Mon May 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Monday, May 13, 2019

B: skipped
L: (will be) Grilled chicken; lemon garlic cauliflower rice (I’m obsessed with making all different kinds/flavors of cauliflower rice)
D: (will be) beef/lamb kebabs; homemade tzaziki sauce; mozzarella, cucumber and tomato salad; crusty bread
Dessert: frozen yogurt bar (Linda, if you’re seeing this, I’m obsessed too!); square of ghiardhelli chocolate

(At least) 19/5 hours

Exercise: 40 mins Pilates Reformer workout; maybe a short walk too?

Hi All,

I hope everyone is doing fantastic! I thought I would check in since I have been lurking on the boards for the past several days. It’s so great to hear from our boards’ consistent posters (thank you auto, Linda, and ooLola), as well as to hear from the newbies, and even folks like me, that just post once in a while.

I have just spent the past several months in a crazed work state and finally things have calmed down for me. I am really looking forward to the summer and some upcoming vacations, concerts, and, of course, the weather! It’s amazing what a sunny day can do for one’s mood. Hopefully this summer will be filled with a lot more sun than we’ve experienced during the spring so far.

Anyway, my fasting regimen is still going strong. I just can’t get over how great I feel. It took me over a year, but I’ve finally made some small adjustments to my meals by reducing processed foods and desserts, and I’ve been experiencing even more benefits in the way of energy levels as well as better sleep. I may have even lost some more weight, but as you may know, I don’t weigh myself (except for that one time after having completed IF for one year). I guess the best news is that I really feel like IF is something I can do for the rest of my life. Some days I eat two meals, some days I eat only one, but I’ve realized that eating is something to be enjoyed, but not to build my schedule around. Bottom line, eating is really just not that big of a deal to me anymore. And I think that last statement has been the greatest benefit of my IF journey. I realize it is not for everyone, but that’s the beauty of this board-We are all supportive of each other‘s journeys, no matter what they are, which is why I keep coming back here.

Here’s to a relaxing rest of spring to all, as we anticipate the coming summer! 🤗

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon May 13, 2019 5:30 pm

Lovely to see you posting, worth it! :-)

You sound like you are at a true happy place, and I love that!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Are you still around?? Miss you!

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:34 pm

July 15, 2019

(Will be at least) 19/5
(Will be at least) 30 min Pilates Reformer workout

L: TBD
D: TBD
Dessert: TBD

Hi All!

Hope everyone is having a FUN and relaxing summer- I know I am! I have been fortunate to decrease my work schedule for about the next month and a half and have been spending a lot of time with family and friends-it’s heavenly!

Ironically, I have another professional opportunity that has landed in my lap that I’m trying to ignore, but it hard due to the fact I could really make a positive difference. Either way, before I consider anything seriously, I will have to evaluate how this new role could fit into my life in 4 distinct areas, that I’ve officially made my life’s motto recently:
-is it FUN?
-does it provide an opportunity to LEARN?
-does it all me BALANCE to live well?
-does it provide financial WEALTH?

As time progresses, we’ll see how this new potential professional opportunity could “fit” with my lifestyle. If it does, I’ll do it- if not, I won’t. Either way, it’s so fun to see how life grants you with all these unexpected and exciting opportunities!

Anyway, as you may have noted above, I still continue to do IF. It is now officially a habit and one that is ingrained in my life. There have been days where I’ve taken a break here and there (ie on vacation), and I’ve IMMEDIATELY noticed how yucky i feel when I don’t fast- I lack mental clarity, I lack energy, stamina and I have digestive issues. Just to avoid those things alone I will continue IF for the rest of my life. Who knows if I will always do a 19/5 type regimen or go to something like 16/8, but I inherently know that I live well by fasting and truly feel healthier at 41 than I did at 31. And feeling good and living well is basically what matters to me most days.

That all being said, I realize it’s not for everyone, as we all have different needs and ways of living well. It’s awesome that in our little “neck of the woods” here on Reinhardt’s forum, we continually stay together, even while living with seemingly different ways of eating. That being said, I believe that No S is just another type of fasting regimen, as you are fasting between meals. No S was a wonderful 4-year refuge for me during a time when I had prescribed to eating “several small meals a day,” for years. It quickly cleaned up my obsessive mental state about eating and helped pave the way for me to enjoy this newer IF lifestyle which I have been faithfully doing for a little over a year and a half. As far as weight loss goes, I can tell from my clothes and comments from others that I continue to steadily lose more weight. Of course this feels good too- but I honestly get so many other benefits from fasting that this truly seems like a “cherry on top”.

Linda, thanks for checking on me! I see you are back in the swing of things and are sounding like you are feeling good again- like many of us, you keep fighting to put yourself first and really listen to what your own body is telling you. It’s continually inspiring! There have been days (and probably will be in the future) where, I too, had wondered if IF was something I was doing for vanity or as another way to control things in my life. On those days, I ended up granting myself grace (like you post about sometimes) and have eaten 3 meals (or more in some cases). It was during those times that I found that my body just felt plain awful... and then I realized that IF wasn’t just for weight loss anymore, but was a way of providing myself with self-care to feel good. And now it sounds like you may be experiencing that too! (Yay!) 😃

Finally, I also wanted to “shout out” to auto, Kathleen, Cedar, Soprano... and really everyone that posts on this board. Even though I rarely post, please know I’m cheering you all on!! And oolala... if you’re out there, please drop us a line- we miss you too!

Best to all and I really hope you are enjoying the summer!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Sounds like you are in a great place I am really pleased for you.

Love your life's motto list :)

Great to hear from you, do keep popping back
Jx

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:47 pm

October 16, 2019

(Will be at least) 19/5

Pilates Reformer workout
(Maybe a walk)

B: black coffee x2
L:?
D: homemade chicken pot pie and salad

Happy Fall All!

Autumn is in full swing here and I’m really enjoying the leaves starting to change colors. Breathtaking. While the end of fall, means the cold winter, I’m trying to fully enjoy this beautiful, albeit seemingly short, season.

Lately, I’ve been doing a lot of “soul” work trying to change the way I think on a daily basis. I spend about a 1/2 hour each day with journaling and reading things that bring/give me pleasure and I have to say it’s translated into so many areas of my life... so much that it’s almost become a “habit” to experience things through a “veil” of pleasure. It’s made life so much more fun, and well, pleasurable! Lol! I’m not saying that EVERYTHING I experience is bliss, but it’s certainly begun to move the pendulum in the opposite direction to sadness/depression. It’s funny as I’m writing this, I’m realizing that perhaps I’m happy to have the swings to the opposite direction for some balance... which seems to be a central theme in my life.

Anyway, I just figured I’d stop by and say hi and share that everything remains status quo on my “Everyday System” with IF. I am down another size in clothes, but still have no clue what I weigh. Some days I eat more than others, i.e. two meals versus one meal, versus dessert, versus high calorie or not. While some days I worry about the variances in my eating, other days I could care less. Perhaps, this will be how life is for me, but I feel so lucky to have an automated way of eating that works for me (yes, shout out to you auto! 😉). I am again reminded that that is likely the reason we are all on this board together. 🤗

Here’s to a wonderful autumn season to all!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:44 pm

So great to hear what a wonderful place you’re in. I wish IF worked for me as well. I’m struggling to try to find a good plan for me. I am inspired y you to stop weighing for awhile as it really messes with my head.

Questions (if you don’t mind). How do you decide how long to fast every day? Do you watch what you eat during your window or just sort of eat intuitively?

I hope I can get in a good groove. It’s so frustrating to find myself back to this place.

L 💜

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:42 pm

Hi Linda! So great to hear from you.

Before I say anything else, I want you to know that I’m sending you the good vibes right.this.moment! You are always there for everyone on this forum, so I just wanted to send it back to you. I firmly believe that you will be in the groove soon.

So, to answer your questions...

On a daily basis, I shoot for 19 hours of fasting and a 5 hour eating window (typically 2pm-7pm). Some days I eat around 2pm and other days I can just wait. If I start eating at 19 hours, I typically have a small meal right away (ie piece of Dave’s Killer Bread with butter; a V8; and a small dish of yogurt with a small spoonful of Bonne Maman raspberry jam; small whole milk latte), and then a medium/large dinner (ie salad and homemade chicken pot pie) + dessert (1/4 of a pumpkin bar with cream cheese frosting and a warm milk).

On the days when I go into the office for work (about 2 days per week), I forgo eating lunch. I find that I have stomach/digestive issues when I eat there, so instead I make sure to get out for a espresso and always have lots of still water and Pellegrino on hand. I find I have literally no problem fasting throughout the day while I’m at work. On these days, as well as the days I wait longer to eat (ie 21+ hours), I typically only eat one largish meal + (real) dessert.

Overall, about 15-20% of the time, I do eat outside of my fasting window. About half of these “outside” occasions are planned (ie meeting a friend for breakfast) and can be anywhere from only a 9 hour fast to a 16 hour fast. The other half of these “outside” occasions are either because I am REALLY HUNGRY or I’m just being a brat, but then I push to make it at least 16 hours, and I always do.

I mostly eat what sounds good to me and the only thing I “try” to do is to eat a lot of veggies and not a lot processed food, but the truth is, I’m not always successful. Some days I overeat because I’ve waited too long by accident, some days I don’t feel satisfied by my meal, some days I eat too many sweets, and some days I’m just a brat. But I typically do this within a 5-hour or less window. There are a few occasions where I’ve had a 6-8 hour eating window, but never more than that. And then, of course, the next day, I just go back to my typical 19/5.

Overall, based on data for the past 19 months, I average just over a 20-hour daily fast.

I think I have been successful with fasting because I truly do love it. On the few days where I have eaten throughout the day, I noticed that I feel sluggish and have much more tummy trouble. Being in a fasted state however,feels great to me- like RELIEF! During this time, I workout (either walking/Pilates or both most days out of the week), I typically drink 2 cups of black coffee, a lot of water, and on days where I’m really hungry I will have a Pellegrino which typically helps me make it to my 19 hours. I also love that I save time by not needing to stop to cook/eat/do dishes for at least one meal a day. Not to mention the health benefits... autophagy, I’ve not been sick (knock on wood) since fasting, my skin looks better, etc. Finally, I feel like the shape of my body has also changed, getting longer and leaner (although it could be a combo from fasting and Pilates).

Wow! I just realized I wrote probably more than you needed/wanted to know, but overall, I’ve found that consistently fasting has helped me gain confidence around food, AND in my life. I honestly don’t think too much about it anymore and feel like even if I’ve eaten too much on a particular day, it’ll just balance itself out on a later day. And, I find that it actually does! Lol!

I truly hope this “manifesto” helps provide some useful info. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do... I’m rooting for you!!! 🙌🙌🙌

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Thank you worth for sharing! That was the perfect amount of detail and really helpful. I actually pasted it to my notes so I could come back to it as needed. I don’t know why I can’t seem to make it work for me right now but am not giving up. 😌

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:14 am

Thanks for that great description of your patterns, meals, and motivators. I loved it!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

worth it

Post by worth it » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi All,

January 27, 2020

(At least)19/5
(Will be) Pilates reformer workout or walk

So I thought I would take a minute and check in with everyone. I hope that 2020 is starting off great for everyone and that your efforts to show yourselves self-care through No S (or any other way you choose to eat) are providing joy, and/or healing.

I am still going strong eating either a meal or two a day within a particular time frame, along with mostly daily exercise. I also continue to do a lot of “inner work” and practice a great deal of self-care on a daily basis. I am so grateful to no longer have eating, dieting, weight-loss etc. be a main focus in my life. I love knowing that I mostly eat what is delicious and nourishing to me rather than having to eat only what is “good” for me. While I’m not perfect, I always know that my body will always make up for an overindulgence or for what it lacks nutritionally in the way of some future meal or some future use of energy through movement. I feel so lucky to be in this place after so many years of controlling my food intake, food choices and exercise in order to lose weight. Ironically, I still continue to steadily lose weight (I think) because I notice changes through my clothes and through the eyes of others. While it’s a good feeling, the best feeling is to enjoy clothes in the same way I enjoy food. I mostly wear what I find to be lovely and fits me well rather than having to wear what I should for my body “type”/shape, etc.

On that note, I’ll leave everyone with good vibes and the knowledge that no matter where you are on your No S journey, know that everything will turn out better than you expect. 🙂

I’ll check in again soon... my 2 year IF “anniversary” is coming up in about a month.

Be well!!!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:33 pm

Great to hear from you and that you are doing so well.

Jx

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:31 pm

Hi worth it! Great to see your wonderful update; also thanks for the support on my thread. :-)
Hugs to you and Happy 2020!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Nell1223

Post by Nell1223 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:41 pm

As a returning newbie hoping to succeed this time, this is really heartening to read. Thank you and happy new year

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:32 am

Yay! What a great update. So glad you’re doing so well and that IF is still working for you. Im really enjoying it again and realized i just cannot do those 48 hr fasts anymore. They really messed with me.

Thanks for stopping by my thread. Always good to hear from you!

worth it

Post by worth it » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:48 pm

July 4, 2020

(Will be at least) 19/5
(Will be Pilates Reformer and a walk)

Happy Fourth of July!

Hi All,

Just checking in on this sunny and HOT day. I was inspired to post after seeing Octavia and Kathleen return and even a few comments from Strawberry and Oolala.

Thankful that everything with me continues to be status quo or better, even though our world gets so crazy sometimes. I think that’s probably been what continually helps me to not get pulled into the despair people are feeling all around us is to focus on what I want, and to try and live the kind of life that is right for me. This includes tons of daily gratitude, meditation, exercise, and a focus on love and kindness towards others AND myself. I know this all may sound “floofy” to some, and even me to some extent (lol!), but I swear it’s been life-changing.

A life well-lived for me also continues to include (mostly)daily intermittent fasting. Fasting continues to provide me with relief, contrast, lessons and most-importantly the gift of consistency- which just continues to build my confidence with eating, and frankly with everything else! It’s so awesome to have learned that I can consistently do something “hard” (ie ignoring my crazy or negative thoughts and impulses around food and eating) about 80% of the time. What a gift it has been for me over these past few years- and I can’t express my gratitude enough for finding it through No S. I imagine that most on this board who found No S probably feel this way. And to some extent, I was getting there, but No S may not have been hard enough(?), or maybe even too hard for me personally? Lol! Either way, fasting has been nothing short of magic for me!

At this point, I think I can safely report some more weight loss after having seeing my friends the other day (one told me that I look even smaller). Again, I haven’t weighed myself, but am grateful because I believe that I continue to get closer to the right weight “balance” for me, personally. I do my best not to think about weight/eating and I am successful (probably) at least 80% of the time, which is a good feeling to then keep me balanced mentally.

Who knows whether today I’ll eat one or two meals, or eat “healthy” or not, but I’ve observed that my exercise has really increased over the past few months. I’m sure this could be a result of feeling “trapped” during all of this quarantining and social distancing, but am grateful for the exercise because I believe it’s what my body has been needing/wanting. And who knows how long it will continue, but for now, I’ll just “go with the flow”. 🤷🏻‍♀️

On that note, I hope you can all do the same and have an amazing and FUN 4th of July (or weekend) with those you love. ❤️

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:10 pm

Happy 4th, Worth it! So happy for everything you posted here. I always love to hear how you are doing.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:12 pm

So good to hear from you worth and happy to see you’re doing so well! Everything you are focusing on sounds wonderful and is very inspiring!

I’ve been working out more too since I’ve been staying more as well. Also, still fasting but it’s a very “dirty” fast which works better for me. Don’t tell Gin, lol. 😊

Happy 4th! 🎉🎉

worth it

Post by worth it » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 am

April 20, 2021

19/5

No exercise today... (I am rebelling 😉)

Hi All,

I was inspired to post today based on the return of our favorite people on this forum. I pop in about once a week or so and it’s nice to see everyone back, doing relatively well, and I just love the continuous support of one another! How come we can get tolerance, kindness, and care for the well being of others done right on this little virtual No S world, but others in their corner of the world can’t do it? I’ll never understand! 🤷🏻‍♀️ Anyway, I digress...

As I look through my most recent posts, I notice I’ve mostly done postings when things have been going splendidly...sounding all zen-like, and cute puppies and roses, etc. lol!🙄

So I thought, why not post on a day that I am struggling-Like today!! I have eaten A LOT of food and frankly, my tummy hurts! 🥴

However, (here comes Pollyanna again) the good news is that these kinds of days are now very few and far between... AND I can directly link them to my mood, which today was mostly controlled by grouchy thoughts, fears, worries, etc. Also on a positive note, I even managed to stay within my typical five hour fasting window, but barely.

Now granted, I did not eat as much as I used to eat during those all-out binges that I used to have years ago (my stomach is just not used to holding that amount of food anymore), but there was definitely binge type behavior and I completely ignored my body’s signals today. But I think the best news is that I know I’ll just be back on track tomorrow and probably won’t eat as much because that’s what I notice happens when I have one of these odd-ball days. But even if by some crazy chance that I do have another day like this, I’m good as long as I maintain my window. Because I realize that the maintenance of my 19/5 habit is what actually sustains me... and gives me my confidence to know that I execute what I say I’m going to do and have done on most days out of this past 3+years. I am truly realizing the (cliche) “it’s about the journey, not the goal.”

Now in all fairness, there is no way I would’ve sustained this habit had it not provided me with what my original goal was (and what lead me to no S in the first place) weight loss. However, during this recent year, my weight loss has significantly slowed, may only few pounds or even nothing each month. But, that is A-OK with me because I truly enjoy the benefits I receive from a 19/5 eating schedule. And I hope I can maintain the schedule, or something similar for the rest of my life. Again, I’m realizing it’s not so much the end result as the maintenance of a habit for me. And I think that was what Reinhard had intended for his No S program all along.

Anyway, I will make it a point to extend the positive vibes I always send to you guys to myself today too, and I am continually grateful to find little pockets of good stuff (like all of you on this board) out here today. Be well everyone- and I’ll check in again when I feel the impulse to do it! 😜

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:33 am

It's great to read how well you are doing :)

Jx

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:47 am

Great to hear from you and glad things are going so well! Whenever i read your updates i feel tempted to just going back to 19/5 but it just didn’t seem to work that well for me. Im sure you’ve mentioned this before, but do you “clean fast”? I just could never really get used to plain tea.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:32 pm

Hi there worth it!!!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi!

I know I do the same thing, tend to post more when things are going well, and not post when things are not. It's hard to separate the two... am I not doing well because I am not posting or am I not posting because things aren't going well? I love the support and kindness we show each other on this forum too.

I did 19/5 for a very long time, almost a year I think! Sometimes I still go back to it but I have noticed I naturally tend to fall into a 16/8 pattern and that works well for maintenance. I am glad it's working so well for you! I have noticed my stomach can't hold anywhere near the amount of food it used to either.

I hope you have a good day!