Jenna's negative qualification post

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jld141

Jenna's negative qualification post

Post by jld141 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi everyone,

In order to combat the "what-the-hell effect" that is a big problem for me when I fail on NoS, I've decided to record my failures here as Reinhard suggests.

I was doing really well on my first week and yesterday, for some reason, I just ate way too many chips...like a whole big bag. So then I said what the hell and ate a cookie too.

Anyway, let's hope my failures are less often and less harsh next time!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:31 am

Hi Jenna, looking forward to reading.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:21 pm

I'm looking forward to reading, too. I'm still early enough on with NoS (this time) that I'm trying to track every day instead of negative tracking. With tracking, I've found that I do better with my failures and don't fall into the "what-the-hell effect" since I will report how I failed on here. Also, when I do fail, I think, "oh well, nothing I can do to change it now, but I'm in charge and can just stop right there", that seems to help me re-start NoS immediately even with knowing that I'll record a fail.

Focus on the fact that you did well your first week before you got off track - that's a great accomplishment!

jld141

Post by jld141 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:21 pm

Ugh, after over the top S day weekend I failed again today when my roommate offered me cookies :( I ate 4...

I knew I was breaking the rules, obviously, but I wanted one. I need to learn that delayed gratification is the only way this will work. Tomorrow is a new day and I vow to be done for the night!

jld141

Post by jld141 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:05 pm

Just broke the vow...all out binge ensued

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:32 pm

I hate when that happens - and it seems to happen as punishment for not being perfect. Oh well, it's done - mark it red and move on. Today is a new day, and all you have to do right now is make it to the next meal.

When I'm about to break or when I have a fail, I like to read the longer-term check-ins. Either the beginning of the daily check-in of someone who's been here for a long time or the yearly testimonials. They show you that everyone fails, who cares, so you had some cookies. That doesn't ruin NoS, and many of the long-term success stories had A LOT of failures to get to where they are. That usually helps me not binge and get back on track.

You can do this - you haven't failed at NoS! Get back up and try again - you'll start having more days or even more meals where you are successful, and that is better than before, right?