Snapdragon at it again

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

snapdragon

Snapdragon at it again

Post by snapdragon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:50 pm

I keep thinking there is a better way but I have not found it yet.
I feel good about this time around.
What's different? I have a few things gong for me first, I am going back to school. I am only taking one class to start, but being a SAHM is sucking the life out of me. I love my kids dearly but I have done this 16 years, and quite frankly I am a terrible home maker!
I am also seeking help for ADD. I did not want to post this, and I know how many people think it's not a real thing ect but something has to change. I have been going to coaching once a week and see a pdoc on Thursday about meds. I am trying to fix my disorderd eating by addressing my other problems.

I am aiming for three meals and a snack in the afternoon.

Day 1 success
B....coffee, almond butter with toast
L....the most delicious soup! Sweet potato, carrot, apple and red lentil soup
A scoop of cottage chees with grapes and walnuts and a few cherries.
S...a few pistachios and a pluot.
D...roast beef, mash, and carrots and two cookie dough Oreos with some milk. It was a moderate day so a success.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:35 pm

Welcome back and good luck snapdragon. And good on you for taking stock and deciding to take action and get out of a rut, with the study, coaching and possible meds. I'm impressed by that brand of courage; it's easy to stick with the status quo.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:04 am

Hi Snapdragon,

I was a SAHM for 13 years (3 kids, 1 elderly parent, a dog, a cat, and a guinea pig. Oh, and a husband as well) I went back to work a year and a half ago and I love it. The house is a mess but I've determined that anybody who loves me had better love me for reasons other than my
housekeeping skills.

It sounds like you are well on your way to making some great and wonderful changes in your life. Welcome back and good luck.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:40 am

Thank you ginger pie and iron chef for your kind words!😊
Success today!
I also swam this morning. It felt good to get some exercise.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:40 am

Omg snapdragon!!! I just looked up a recipe for your soup and it looks perfect for my family. I'm saving it for fall though :D Thanks for the unintentional tip. We have "soup Fridays" During the school year.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Ginger pie that soup is so delectable. I will be making lots of it! I hope you enjoy it!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Thursday ended as a fail after all and Friday a success.
I ate late night Thursday.
Friday
B...quiche and a pluot
L....salad
D....2 slices of pizza

All and all a good day.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:57 pm

Nice to see you again! What's a pluot?

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:47 am

My weekend was really nice, and reasonable. I made a pan of brownies and had a largish one, and another good sized one on Sunday.

Today was green!
B-quiche coffee
L-black bean and corn salsa with avacado and chips, some almonds
S-a banana and some almonds
D- taco salad

Today I started school! I am taking an Ethics class and really enjoyed myself.
My teacher looks like what you would imagine a philosophy professor to look like.
My approach to sane eating is to improve my life and fill it with good things, and not think about food and dieting and my weight. I do consider how the food I eat would make me feel.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:26 pm

snapdragon wrote:My approach to sane eating is to improve my life and fill it with good things, and not think about food and dieting and my weight. I do consider how the food I eat would make me feel.
Hi, snapdragon- Thanks for stopping by my thread with encouraging words.
I like your moderate approach. I'm trying to consider how the food I eat will make me feel too... I think I need to eat fewer snacky type foods with or as my meals and also maybe avoid pizza. I feel lower energy and a bit groggy, especially noticeable if I eat pizza for lunch. It may be better as supper on a weekend for me.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:43 pm

Just a quick check in. Now more than ever I need to establish sane eating habits. I am still aiming for 4 times a day and most importantly nothing after dinner. Been doing good with eating. Eating breakfast, Forgetting to eat during the day then forcing a snack on myself, eating dinner. And trying not to eat at night.
I am in crazy mode for now. My mom had a heart attack and stroke. She is recovering from the stroke very well but has a loose blood clot in her artery. I think we are looking at valve replacement, and a double bypass. And whatever they do for a leaky valve. . Because she has early dimentia I am as worried about the recovery as I am the surgery.
Preparing my kids for what's to come, grieving, taking care of her business, my school, kids school, their activities, homework, housework...... It's a bit much. I will be ok, and know I need to process this, and it's normal and healthy to feel the pain, and allow it, as long as I don't wallow.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Oh snapdragon, I'm very sorry to hear about your mum! Big big hug!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:04 pm

So sorry about your mom! Be kind to yourself, and be sure to focus more on you and your family.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have two successes. I am calling Monday a success though I had my peach from lunch after dinner. Really working hard not to resort myself too much to comfort food and trying to make healthy descisions. Monday I left without packing a lunch, I thought I would grab something on the way to class bit found there was nothing to get between the hospital and my school so I had lunch at 3. I need to plan better becUse this makes me crabby!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:21 pm

A late lunch always makes me crabby, too! Great job on Monday, sounds like you're doing very well, even with everything going on. Take care!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi Snapdragon,

How is your Mom? Go easy on yourself. Having someone in the hospital can really knock you through a loop. Just running from place to place can be exhausting not to mention the emotional component. I know how hard it is to make good decisions when you feel like you're running on empty.

I hope today was a good one.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:14 pm

I cannot believe how much time has gone by since I checked in. It's been half measures. My mom is on the road to recovery. Her short term memory is shot. Poor thing wakes up every day not knowing what happened or why she is in the hospital. Everything else is good. Her cognition is still good, she is healing really well too. I have a meeting on monad with the staff to see what to do now. We need to discuss what kind of help she will need when released.
Over all I am grateful.

This week I need to plan meals better. I have not planned my lunches out and have been slapping dinners together willy nilly. Time to get my act together!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi Snapdragon,
Good to see you back. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Mine is the same way. Mine is finally settled and feels safe where she is although she doesn't understand why she is there and not "at home". Here apartment/room looks out on a lawn and trees so she has convinced herself that she must be living on the farm I grew up on. Like I said . . . At least she feels safe :wink:

I find preplanning all my meals/menus and making them as simple as possible is the only way I can manage. I keep menu and recipes handy so that the kids can cook a meal (or at least get it started) if I don't have time and I always, always, always feel better and more centered if I get out for my daily walk/run. I promise no one will starve if you take care of yourself first. They'll just eat a lot of peanut butter.

Welcome back and good luck in the coming week.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Thank you Gingerpie for the nice words. Glad your mom is settling in. It took a long time for my mom to settle into her assisted living, I think she likes it more than she lets on. She is being released Wednesday and we are putting together a plan for her, until she completely heals. Life goes on, a kid home sick, a big paper due for school, piles of laundry, blah blah blah. So today I am going to get my walk in this morning and keep hacking away.

Last night was a fail, not a disaster, but poor planning again. The meeting at the hospital ran longer than expected and I had to run off to class. Also my neighbor passed away after fighting cancer leaving three kids behind. I had spoke to the kids at the bus stop and they never mentioned it I only found out later.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139