Emdutto's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

emdutto

Emdutto's Daily Check-In

Post by emdutto » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Day 1: SUCCESS

Lunch: Leftover slice of Papa John's Garden Veggie pizza, 1 oz bag of Nacho Doritos
Dinner: Cheeseburger w/a little light mayo and ketchup, baked beans, Lay's chips

Step Count: 10,313

Hi, everyone. My name is Emily and I'm from Ohio. I'm married with a 2 year old and 2 dogs. I'm an IT Analyst at a Fortune 500 manufacturing company with 2 plants on-site. I sit most of the day, but the plants are huge here and walking is popular, so you will commonly see office folks making laps around the plant floors (trying to avoid death by forklift). I've set a goal of trying to take 10k steps a day. That was hard yesterday, because I didn't walk around the plants during the day and had to take a 35 minute walk after work to reach my goal. It was okay, but hard as I needed to hurry home to make dinner and walked toward the west for the 2nd half with the sun beating down on me. I know, I'm a whiner.

Anyway, no sweets yesterday for me, which was HUGE, because I have a serious sugar addiction. It didn't help that someone brought in a TRIPLE CHOCOLATE cake with peppermint icing. But, I avoided it ftw!

I kind of snacked yesterday, but I'm not counting it. I had 2 chips (that would have been on my plate) while I was waiting for the hamburgers to finish on the Foreman.

I've tried all kinds of diets, but I am a "thinker" and constantly come up with ways to cheat or work around the diets. Or, I tell myself that I work hard and have a small child, so if I want to eat half a box of vanilla wafers, I deserve it! My latest diet was Fast 5, which involved fasting all day, then a 5 hour eating window in the evening. I lost 7 lbs. Yeah, that didn't work long, as I more than made up for not eating all day. So, I know I can go hours without eating... but I think watching the "S" days and "not being an idiot" might be a challenge.

Hoping to find something I can stick to. Thanks!
Last edited by emdutto on Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emily

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:46 am

Hi Emdutto!

Seems like you're off to a good start. Congratulations to your sweet-free day!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

Lunch: Smart Ones Chicken Fettuccini, 1 oz Cool Ranch Doritos
Dinner: Walking Taco

Step Count: 10,040

Today was pretty easy, to be honest. There wasn't really anything tempting around. I took my son for a stroll around the loop at the park after work to get my steps in. Of course, he wanted to hop out and swing and go down the slide, so I walked circles around him while pushing the swing! I'm sure I looked like a crazy woman.

I laid my head on the pillow to go to bed and checked my FitBit... 9930 steps?! :shock: So, for the final 70 steps, I hopped back out of bed, walked downstairs and around to the kitchen, then back up. 10k steps - BAM. Lol, kind of pitiful, but I wasn't about to miss a goal on day #2.

Thanks, eschano :)
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Day 3: SUCCESS

Lunch: Tostitos with queso, 4 little smokies, 4 Ritz crackers with 1 tbsp crab dip (not very good, so only a couple bites), half of Panera bagel with cream cheese, 4 honey wheat twists
Dinner: One pot spaghetti, 1.5 slices white bread with butter

Step Count: 10,106

Most tempting day yet. It's a retirement party "snack day" and there is a giant smorgasbord of the most unhealthy snack/sweet food you can imagine. One of the ladies brought in 5 flavors of beautifully decorated cake pops. I CANNOT take it. I originally didn't get any. Then, I went back and got two, telling myself I will save them for an S day. But wait, what about the 21-day challenge? They are too yummily gorgeous not to eat. Perhaps, the freezer??

EDIT: Successfully did not eat the cake pops. They're in my desk (out of sight) and I will savor their every bite this weekend. So glad that I will be able to have sweets on my S days. Maybe I'll better be able to stay in control if I focus on "higher quality" sweets like handmade cake pops in moderation.
Last edited by emdutto on Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emily

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:48 pm

I suggest you take your S days. If you do the 21 day challenge as everyone here on NoS it includes S days. The purpose it to build the habit to have some days with the training wheels off. So go ahead and eat them on S day!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:50 pm

Oh, I when I glanced at the sticky, I thought it was 21 days of no sugar (which I believe is from Naturally Slim). Yay - I can definitely save these until Saturday!

Emily

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:29 am

Thankfully NoS is never no sugar :) It would be too much effort for me to sniff out all the hidden sugars.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 pm

I don't think I could do the challenge with no S Days! Well, I probably could but it's much more fun with them. Oh, and with the 21 day challenge, I also let myself fail if I have to. Obviously the goal is to not fail, but I think NoS is really about changing for life, and no one can be perfect for life.

Congrats on taking the cake pops and planning on saving them. Just make sure you really enjoy them when you eat them, they sound delicious - that's what I struggle with, just mindlessly eating, especially on S Days.

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:39 pm

I like the idea of "letting yourself fail" I'm not saying I want to fail, but definitely seems like a healthy mentality to just move on and continue living life. nbd. I tend to think in black and white, which I've read on the interwebs is bad for dieting, etc, because if you slip up, you just dump the whole thing.

I think I saw a quote on here-- "Don't let perfect be the enemy of the good" I picked this up from Flylady also, who advocates cleaning as best you can in a limited amount of time. Often times, we'll procrastinate cleaning the house, because we don't have time to clean it perfectly. So... the house never gets cleaned. Seems like this theme recurs in other aspects of life.
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Day 4: SUCCESS

Lunch: 6 little smokes, Panera cinnamon swirl bagel with plain cream cheese (office retirement party cont.)
Dinner: 1/4 Jumbo thin crust deluxe pizza, 2 garlic cheese sticks @Classic Pizza

Step Count: 10,665

Went to dinner with my friend. At the pizza parlor, there was no standard size plate. I tried to eat what I thought was a portion, half of the appetizer and 1/4 of the pizza. Is this okay? Should I not have eaten the appetizer?
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Day 5: SATURDAY

Breakfast: One egg on white toast with butter, 3.5 slices of bacon
Second Breakfast: cake pop
Lunch: 3/4 Totino's Crisp Crust Pizza
Dinner: 1 large slice Papa John's spicy sausage, half 10-inch cheesesticks, 4 Timbits
Evening Snack: cake pop

Step Count: 10,268

10 minutes of sprints this AM with DS. He loved it, shouting, "go faster, Mama!" Nice & cool out today.
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:27 pm

Day 6: SUNDAY

Breakfast: Two eggs on white toast with butter, 5 slices of bacon
Second Breakfast: Cake pop
Lunch: Leftover Classic Pizza from Friday
Dinner: Regular Skyline 4-way with Onions
Evening Snack: Last cake pop

Step Count: 6,269

So, yesterday was a very lazy Sunday. Each meal was pretty indulgent with my remaining cake pops sprinkled in between. I realized around 5pm that my step count was shockingly low. I needed some clothing items, so I walked to Kohl's and looked around, then walked over to Marshall's. I had hoped that this would get me to my 10k step goal, but not so much. That's okay! Letting it go...
Last edited by emdutto on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Emily

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:45 am

I sometimes eat the whole pizza if it fits on my plate. But European pizzas might be smaller from all I can tell from the theads.

It fits on your normal plate you can eat it!

Hope you enjoyed your S days
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:54 pm

I'm going to have to look into this virtual plating that I've seen mentioned and evaluate stacking rules, lol. I didn't feel stuffed on Friday, so I'm taking that as I did okay!
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:38 pm

Day 7: SUCCESS

Lunch: leftover pizza, 1 oz bag Doritos
Dinner: Caesar salad

Step Count: 10,196

We all walked after dinner, which was nice. Husband, toddler and 2 French-bo doggies. The dogs were wiped! (We only walked a mile). Probably should make more of an effort to take them in the future. DS thought they were hilarious, watching them from his stroller.
Emily

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:10 pm

That's so cute about your DS and the pups. You are on a roll with the walking and the NoS, nice job!

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Day 8: SUCCESS

Lunch: leftover pizza (the gift that keeps on giving)
Dinner: red beans and rice + turkey kielbasa

Step Count: 10,097

Geez, so much pizza this week.. blah. And guess what? I have a lunch meeting tomorrow serving... more pizza!
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:28 pm

Day 9: FAIL

Lunch: 2 large slices Papa John's pizza, 1/2 container garlic dipping sauce, 1 oz Cool Ranch Doritos
Dinner: miso salad, miso soup, spicy, crunchy tuna roll and hibachi chicken with fried rice

Step Count: 10,318

Had pizza at a lunch meeting, definitely got up and got a second slice of pizza. Not sure why.. I really didn't need it. Then, I went to dinner with a friend. I don't honestly think I did that bad, as I barely ate the entree by the time I had salad, soup and tuna roll. I wound up boxing up most of the hibachi chicken and fried rice. But, everything was on different plates, so I don't know?

After coming home from dinner, I did walk around the block a few times to hit my step count goal. Typically, once coming home from dinner with a friend, I'd veg on the couch and call it a night. So, I'm proud of myself for meeting my step goal. I think knowing that I overate made me extra sure to get my steps.
Emily

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:54 pm

emdutto wrote:And guess what? I have a lunch meeting tomorrow serving... more pizza!
Yeah, pizza... it never rains but what it pours! :D
Hope you enjoy every slice!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:28 am

You're doing so well on your steps! And the dinner seems like a green event. Virtual plating - where you estimate how much would fit on one plate - counts as long as you have plates often enough to keep your virtual plating roughly in line (this is what happened to me - virtual plating out of control - but now I went back to only doing it once in a while and it works).
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:56 pm

Day 10: SUCCESS?

Lunch: leftover hibachi chicken with fried rice
Dinner: Buffalo Wild Wings - 8 boneless medium wings, tbsp of ranch & 2 tall Sam Adams Oktoberfest (s-event..?)

Step Count: 10,629

Thanks eschano -- I appreciate the feedback and guidance!

Really struggling with s-events. Yesterday was a co-workers birthday party after work at Buffalo Wild Wings. So, I had some boneless wings and beer (2-22 oz). Is this an s-event? I think the wings were okay, but that was more than 2 "standard" glasses of beer.

Also, I eat dinner with my friend every Wednesday. If you do something so regularly, that probably can't be an s-event?
Emily

gwenkkelly

Post by gwenkkelly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:13 pm

If I understand correctly, alcohol isn't technically limited under No-S. That's a separate system (Glass Ceiling). If you only had one plate of wings with your beer, I don't think that was an S event. If you're feeling doubtful about it, just drink less beer next time.

I love BWWs. I get their Naked Tenders with either fries or salad, depending on what I'm in the mood for. I don't know what kind of voodoo they season those Naked Tenders with but I love them!

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:22 pm

Really? Given the name "naked tenders," it doesn't sound like enough to be delicious. I'm going to have to try them next time. Love BW3's :) Their salads are decent, too.
Emily

gwenkkelly

Post by gwenkkelly » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm gluten intolerant, so I don't have too many options there. Naked Tenders are strips of grilled chicken breast with some kind of magical seasoning on them, served with whatever sauce you choose for dipping. They're "naked" of breading, not sauce. :)

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Day 11: SUCCESS

Lunch: Smart Ones Chicken Enchiladas Suiza, 1 oz Cheetos
Dinner: Thunderdog, potato chips

Step Count: 12,398

I went to my brother's first home football game last night, so plenty of tempting treats at the concession stand. Never had a Thunderdog before, but it was recommended. It's a regular-sized hot dog, topped with pulled pork and nacho cheese. Sounds pretty bad, but the portion wasn't huge and it was yummy. Next week, might get a walking taco. Successfully resisted chocolate chip cookies that my mom had in her purse FTW.

I got my steps up before I went to the game, by walking a couple miles on my lunchbreak. Wound up walking a ton from the overflow parking lot to the stadium--THEN, I forgot my phone and had to go back to the car. So, steps were not too shabby!
Emily

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:48 pm

emdutto wrote:Thunderdog... a regular-sized hot dog, topped with pulled pork and nacho cheese.
Wow, emdutto, if it didn't take so long for postage to arrive from the US to Africa, I'd be begging you to send me one of those! :lol: New inventions are being developed every minute.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Day 12: SATURDAY

Breakfast: Fried egg on 1 slice of toast with butter
Lunch: Velveeta shells, oatmeal cookie
Dinner: turkey sandwich, cheese ball with crackers, Lay's chips, cupcake, punch
Snack: Cupcake, nachos

Step Count: 8,548

I took a walk in the morning with DS, knowing that I would be attending a baby shower. Fortunately/unfortunately, I was late to the shower and a lot of the food was gone! Still could have walked a bit longer, but my audiobook reached the end and I didn't want to walk anymore without a book.
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 pm

Day 13: SUNDAY

Breakfast: Fried egg on 1 slice of toast with butter, 4 slices of bacon, cupcake
Snack: iced oatmeal cookie
Lunch: grilled cheese with tomato soup
Snack: iced oatmeal cookie
Dinner: Taco Bell Beef Supreme Chalupa
Snack: iced oatmeal cookie, animal crackers

Step Count: 6,618

Okay - horrible, lazy Sunday. Husband was gone at the Bengals came, so took the opportunity to eat too many cookies. Didn't get many steps in either. Just more motivation to be better this week.
Emily

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:00 am

You are doing great! :D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:24 am

Remember you can't fail on an S day & they will get tamer over time.

Linda :D
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Day 14: SUCCESS

Lunch: Smart Ones Tuna Noodle Casserole, 1 oz Cheetos Puffs
Dinner: Arby's Classic RB, Small Curly Fries & ranch dipping sauce

Step Count: 10,888

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! I get so hung up on the "don't be an idiot" clause and overanalyze how I should be acting on S-days.

Always nice to have a restart on Mondays. Back on track. I found my dinner pretty indulgent, but I still was within my WW point limit (yes, I'm doing both to add even more accountability). That's awesome that I can "eat what I want" on N-days and feel satisfied.

Took a walk after my stressful workday while DH ran errands with DS. At first, I wanted to lay on the couch and catch-up on my overstuffed DVR, but I forced myself to walk the dogs and meet my step count, which was really a nice break. It's been cool and cloudy here lately, which (for me) makes walks much more pleasant.
Emily

gwenkkelly

Post by gwenkkelly » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:42 am

You're doing WW and No-S? That sounds hard. Not necessarily from a food perspective, but from a psychological perspective. To me, one of the primary benefits of No-S is that it lets you spend less of your day obsessing about food. Are you able to do that on WW? Do you count WW points on weekends?

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:50 pm

Day 14: FAIL

Lunch: Smart Ones Lasagna, 1 oz Nacho Doritos
Dinner: J. Alexander's citrus mojito, bread w/butter, house salad w/honey dressing, crispy chicken strips and not your ordinary mac & cheese
After Dinner: Rolling Rock beer

Step Count: 10,184

Started off okay. Stepdad volunteered to watch DS so that DH and I could go to dinner. I had intended on staying in control, but I just absolutely LOVE J. Alexander's and we rarely go there. Could not resist going overboard. Don't really regret it as I truly enjoyed the dining experience. If I'm honest, I could have gone without the mojito and salad and still had a nice dinner.

Yeah, I know what you mean on the WW thing. It's a WW @ Work program and I'm really using it to socialize with other ladies at work. I get the weigh-in accountability and motivation as well. I also save up my "cheat points" for the weekend. I tend to not track or track after the fact on the weekends, in effect allowing myself to take S-days. I don't eat diet food. So, I don't feel like I'm too "at odds" with NoS. Though, I like knowing that I am staying within the calorie range to lose weight.
Emily

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:25 am

I wouldn't worry about overdoing it at the restaurant. I don't go out to eat all that often, so when I do, I try to just enjoy it and cut back the next day. As for WW, if both systems are working for you, that's great! :D I think some public accountability would be very helpful.

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Day 15: SUCCESS

Lunch: Leftover J. Alexander's chicken strips and slice of sourdough bread
Dinner: Arby's Ham & Swiss Croissant, value curly fries and ranch dipping sauce

Step Count: 11,273

Good day. Steps were higher than I expected and I was satisfied with my meals. It's been REALLY nice out. Like 65-70F everyday, which makes my lunchtime walks that much more enjoyable.

Yeah, I really struggle with categorizing restaurant meals as "success" or "fail." I like to think I don't eat out all that much, but I do usually eat out once a week with my friend. She's a tiny thing, so I'm less likely to go hog-wild when we dine together (plus we chat non-stop). Then, something usually comes up where I will eat out a second time. Like, the in-laws invite us to dinner or like last week, there was a birthday celebration after work at BW3's. So, now I'm up to eating out 2+ times a week. Where to draw the line on if something is "special"? This might be the place where WW steps in for me and I can allocate my weekly points appropriately.
Emily

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:35 am

Hmm. I eat out a few times per week some of the weeks as well. You can easily stick to NoS on some of those. I only make an exception when I a) see something amazing and b) cannot get anything like it on S days. That's about twice a month. I find that I'm ok with not eating desserts in restaurants - they are seldom worth it - and I virtual plate which usually works as well.

Then there's the other option of making your eating out days your S days instead of weekends but they would have to be regular for it to work.

Just some thoughts.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:30 am

I agree with Eschano. Usually, desserts at restaurants aren't worth it. I have found that when I do get a dessert, I'd rather split it with someone. The first 2-3 bites taste the best.

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:12 am

Day 16: SUCCESS

Lunch: Healthy Choice Tortellini Primavera, 1 oz Cool Ranch Doritos
Dinner: Turkey kielbasa and Kraft Mac & Cheese

Step Count: 11,326

Another successful day. Yeah, I typically don't get desserts at restaurants either. I'm usually too stuffed for dessert! Appreciate the feedback!
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:20 pm

Day 17: SUCCESS

Lunch: [S-event] Harvest Mobile Cuisine Harvest Melt (white cheddar & goat cheese on herbed sourdough) and Harvest Fries (white and sweet potato herbed fries). Wiggy Dip 1 scoop salted caramel and 1 scoop Buckeye peanut butter ice cream
Dinner: Half Totino's Crispy Crust combination pizza

Step Count: 11,013

As part of Employee Appreciation month at my job, gourmet food trucks were brought to the lawn for complimentary lunch and dessert. Definitely took an s-event for this! The food was amazingly delicious.

Day 18: SATURDAY

Lunch: Hot dog with american cheese, shortbread cookies
Dinner: 2 cheese enchiladas, chips and guacamole
After Dinner: Sour Punch straws
Throughout Day: shortbread cookies

Step Count: 5,988

Day 19: SUNDAY

Lunch: Penn Station 8" Turkey Dagwood
Dinner: 3/4 Pepperoni Tombstone Pizza
Throughout Day: shortbread cookies

Step Count: 6,299

Lazy weekend. Pretty sure I had too many cookies! Most likely going to cost me at weigh-in! Rough, because I don't keep cookies in the house during the week. So, then I buy a box on Friday and feel the need to consume the whole box during the weekend. Of course, DS helps, but not much.
Emily

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:48 am

I bring the most tempting things to work on Monday and give it to the reception girls. The really appreciate it (and somehow manage to make 4 cookies stretch a week) and it gets them out of my house.

Also: I want to work at your place too! Employee Appreciation Month!!!! Definitely worth an S.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Day 20: SUCCESS

Lunch: Healthy Choice Steamers Ravioli & Chicken Marinara, 1 oz crunchy Cheetos
Dinner: Cheeseburger, hot dog and baked beans

Step Count: 10,278

eschano - that is excellent advice! I don't know why I didn't think of it myself... Usually, anything put in the kitchen is gone by noon. Thanks!
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:32 pm

Day 21: SUCCESS

Lunch: Healthy Choice Steamers General Tso's Spicy Chicken, 1 oz Cheetos Puffs
Dinner: [s-event] Dating anniversary dinner at The Melting Pot. Chicken, shrimp & spin & artichoke ravioli in mojo cooking style; Yin Yang white/milk chocolate fondue with strawberries, bananas, marshmallows, blondies, etc., 5 oz. Chardonnay

Step Count: 10,255

Yet another s-event. :sigh: I told myself I would just eat the fruit in the chocolate dip, but could not resist once all of the dipper items were in front of me. Though, I did get mostly lean meat for the entree course and we skipped cheese fondue. Going out to eat with my friend tonight... Just so much eating out!!

Had my WW weigh-in today and lost 0 weight from last week, though I do my personal (nakey) weigh-in on Friday AM.
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Day 22: SUCCESS

Lunch: Healthy Choice Steamers Chicken Margherita with Balsamic, 1 oz Cheetos
Dinner: Half chicken salad croissant, 1 oz chips & a side salad with ranch

Step Count: 10,719

Day 23: SUCCESS

Lunch: Smart Ones Salisbury Steak & Macaroni, 1 oz Doritos
Dinner: Chicken Caesar Salad with homemade croutons & grated parmesan

Step Count: 11,445

Lost 2 pounds this week! I knew this wasn't for nothing :) Have been really starting to actually enjoy my walks, rather than thinking of them as a chore. I'm down almost 5 pounds this month and I can kind of tell in my waistband. I got my hair cut shorter yesterday too, so feeling pretty good on this Friday.
Emily

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:28 pm

That's great! It definitely helps to do something when you enjoy it, now if only I can figure how to apply that to housework...

Keep up the great work, you have so many green days in a row!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:20 am

Delighted for your progress and I'm sure your hair looks lovely!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:34 pm

Day 24: SUCCESS

Lunch: Buffalo Chicken Dip, Bean Dip with Tostitos Scoops
Dinner: Walking Taco
Evening: 16 oz Miller Lite

Step Count: 10,318

It was snack day at work, so had that for lunch and took sweets home for the weekend. Then, had dinner at my brother's football game.

Day 25: SATURDAY

Breakfast: eggs & toast, brownie
Lunch: Shells & Cheese, snickerdoodle, peanut butter and chocolate rice krispie treat
Dinner: LaRosa's greek veggie & classic trio pizza, cookie, brownie, another PB&C rice krispie treat, 36 oz Miller Lite

Step Count: 5,599
Exercise: Power Circuit DVD - Full Body (15 mins)

Okay, so pretty out of control day. Did lift some free weights during DS's nap. I want to try to start getting some strength-training in, as I know muscle burns more than fat! The abs part of the workout was pretty pitiful, but hopefully I'll improve.

Day 26: SUNDAY

Lunch: Penn Station Turkey Dagwood, East Coast Style
Afternoon: Slice of birthday cake
Dinner: Walking Tacos, Kit Kat Bar

Step Count: 3,735

Murderously sore after the free weights on Saturday, so didn't move around too much, lol... We went to my twin nieces' fifth birthday party at the park, which was fun. I thought I took more steps than I did there? Maybe it just felt like it with my soreness, ugh. I kept checking my FitBit, like WTH, where are my steps??

Back on the wagon today.
Emily

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:10 am

emdutto - you're doing well! Love your double habit of NoS and steps.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Day 27: MONDAY

Lunch: 2 medium slices leftover pizza, ate 1 Ritz cracker with a piece of cheese while it was in microwave that would have easily fit onto my plate
Dinner: 2 medium slices leftover pizza

Step Count: 10,847

Thanks! Yeah, it's really helped me increase my activity to monitor my steps. I didn't realize how little I actually moved around before I had it. I mean, I drive to work, sit at my desk all day, drive home, then loaf on the couch. That's practically 0 activity! How can I expect to lose weight like that?

Now, I do things like park in the very back of the lot. This is autopilot for me now and I don't even think about it. I try to walk on my lunch breaks too, so I don't have to walk later in the evening. I listen to audiobooks while I walk, which passes the time. Bonus: I've "read" a ton of books this year.
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Day 28: TUESDAY

Lunch: 2 medium slices leftover pizza
Dinner: Trolley Stop with girlfriends - 1 shrimp lettuce wrap, pulled pork sandwich on pretzel bun with chips and herbie dip, 16 oz Madtree PumpCan craft pumpkin ale

Step Count: 10,768

Day 29: WEDNESDAY

Lunch: Healthy Choice Steamers - Chicken Linguini with Red Pepper Alfredo, 1 oz Cool Ranch Doritos
Dinner: Jimmy John's Vegetarian Sandwich, 1 oz Salt & Vinegar chips

Step Count: 8,423 Noooo! I went to Cincinnati to get my nails done with my SIL. It took forever and was past my bedtime by the time I got home. No time to walk! It was nasty outside during lunch, though I did make one lap. Bummer. What am I going to do when the weather gets really bad?

WW weigh-in day. Down 2.4 lbs. What??!

Day 30: THURSDAY

Lunch: Healthy Choice Steamers - Grilled Chicken Marinara with Parmesan, 1 oz crunchy Cheetos
Dinner: Totino's Combination Party Pizza

Step Count: 10,669
Exercise: Power Circuit DVD - Upper Body (15 mins)

Day 31: FRIDAY

Lunch: 10 crackers, 10 cheese cubes, 10 slices deli meat
Dinner: --

Step Count: --

Snack day at work again. You know, they do this so often that it's just getting EASIER to ignore the sweets (or save them for tomorrow). Barely glanced at the donuts this AM. #winning
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:18 pm

Having trouble keeping up with both WW and daily check-in, as was probably predicted. I am still following the no-s way of life though! I adher to it more strongly than counting my points, that's for sure. I'm going to restart my logging here, but simplify to no longer include my meals (because I'm already logging them for WW).

Maybe I'll just stick to the recommended SUCCESS or FAILURE and commentary as necessary. :)

DAY 38: FAIL My brother was in town for the football game and we went to Bill's Donuts afterward, where I definitely had a honey twist. Then, we went to Steak 'N Shake and I had a garlic burger. At 11pm. It wasn't even that good.. not worth it.
Steps: 9,647 So close! Was too tired after getting home to even check to see if I made 10k, so just assumed. That's what you get for assuming.

DAY 40: SATURDAY
Steps: 2,944
Had a giant go-live this weekend for a project that I've been leading for the past 6 months. Needless to say, I sat at my computer all day and did a whole lot of bad eating and not much moving.

DAY 41: SUNDAY
Steps: 8,740
Bought a treadmill off of Craigslist and plopped it in the living room (where I can see the TV). Doesn't look half bad and it's a nice treadmill. This will definitely help for rain and snow.
Emily

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Having the treadmill will be great with your overall steps count. I like just using the success/fail, too. It's quick and easy, even if I don't have time to say much. Good luck!

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:12 pm

DAY 42: SUCCESS
Steps: 10,169

DAY 43: SUCCESS
Steps : 10,588

So far, so good on the treadmill. Lost half a lb at my WW weigh-in, despite pretty bad weekend. Successfully resisted cookies and cupcakes at a retirement party today. They were the plain jane ones from Kroger and didn't feel special enough.
Emily

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:22 pm

DAY 44: SUCCESS
Steps : 10,287

I'm still trying to keep up with my after-lunch walks, as it really isn't all that enjoyable to walk on the treadmill like a hamster for 40 minutes, even with the TV. Much better to spread the steps over the course of the day. It was about 55F today and made for a nice walk.
Emily

mitchelll

Post by mitchelll » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:22 am

Walking taco sounded so good, I had to Google it to find out what it was. I now know what's for dinner on Saturday!!!

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:47 pm

DAY 45: SUCCESS
Steps : 10,221

Borderline success - I popped a couple of chips while dinner was cooking.

Haha - that's funny about the walking taco. I was skimming through some daily updates on here yesterday and saw all kinds of food I didn't recognize. Pretty crazy how differently regions eat.
Emily

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:55 am

You're doing so well!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

emdutto

Post by emdutto » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:19 pm

DAY 46: SUCCESS
Steps: 10,082

DAY 47: SATURDAY
Steps: 10,634 - spent some time running on the treadmill/not too shabby

DAY 48: SUNDAY
Steps: 10,461

A weekend of hitting my 10k goal! I'm starting to think this used treadmill purchase was a pretty decent idea. Usually, I loaf on the coach on the weekend, but since I can still catch up on my shows while walking.. why not?

DAY 49: SUCCESS
Steps: 10,472

DAY 50: FAIL
Steps: 7,835

Went to dinner and the movies (Gone Girl). Definitely ate some popcorn during the movie that I didn't need. AND, since I was so busy with dinner/movie after work, I didn't reach my step goal. Double fail. That's okay - I didn't miss it by much.

DAY 51: SUCCESS
Steps: 10,191

WW weigh-in = the exact same weight as last week. Not good! Hoping that I was bloating from earlier dinner/movie. We shall see at tomorrow AM's "official" weigh-in.

So, it's very, VERY early, but since I'm so anonymous here, I may as well spill it. I'm pregnant. :shock: due July 3. I'm a little nervous about this, as I definitely had morning sickness with my first. I read that I'm still too early for morning sickness at this point, so it could be arriving in the coming weeks. I remember subsisting on salty carbs with DS. I also remember hating coffee, which would just RUIN my mornings. Honestly, I'm so overweight, I think it would be okay for me to continue losing weight in the 1st trimester (though, I'm sure it will be more difficult as baby grows). Definitely going to make it my goal to "not be an idiot" during the pregnancy. I'm still in the stage of letting this all soak in. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for baby #2! :D ..just complicates the weight-loss goals.
Emily

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:22 pm

Oh, congratulations! How lovely. :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:31 am

Congratulations! My worst morning sickness was with my first so maybe it will be better for you this time too! If you even maintain during early pregnancy or only have slight gains, it will be a success!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

emdutto

RESTART DAY 1

Post by emdutto » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:38 pm

Wow, it has been a full year since the last time I checked in. Of course, I fell off of the wagon and did much worse damage to myself than if I would have just stayed the course. IMPATIENCE. I tried the Keto Diet.. and was mildly successful for a couple months before a Disney vacation. Then, gained it all right back! Plus more! Then, I tried "Thin Within" a grace-based approach and failed miserably. The Facebook group was too "fluffy" for my personality and I had trouble with the way the verses were "adapted" to fit the plan.

So, now I'm up to 224.8 lbs. Gained almost 17 pounds this year. Gotta reverse this trend. How about I stop eating nachos and candy/cookies every SINGLE night of my life and see how that works out???!!

[Edit: I just realized my preggo annoucement in my last post. To update, I wound up miscarrying in December. Then, I had another miscarriage on Easter. Still no baby #2. I think all of these emotions have played into my struggle this year. I do have one beautiful 3-yo son, who clearly, must have been a miracle. Would LOVE to have just one more. Hopefully, I can increase my chances with some weight loss? My OB did not say that, but wonder if he was just being kind.]

RESTART DAY 1: FAIL

Monday

Started off with good intentions.. I did manage not to snack at work, had some leftover pizza and a small bag of Doritos. For dinner, I made corn and bacon pasta, which is pretty indulgent, hoping that would be enough for me! Wound up eating a couple of slices of bacon while cooking.

Then, I was watching TV and I decided to paint my nails to keep busy. I knew in the back of my mind that there were still a few tortilla chips left, so once they were dry, I made a small plate of nachos. Smaller than I would usually eat, as that's all that was available.

Well, I couldn't finish the evening without something sweet, could I? So, I got 3 pieces of Halloween candy.. and then 3 more.
Emily

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:51 am

Hi, emdutto. Sorry about your losses this year.

I gently suggest you write a list of reasons you'd like to become a moderate eater permanently. Search down deep and see if there aren't ones that have little to do with actual weight loss. In the end, few people can be motivated enough hours of the day just for the sake of weighing less, no matter how much we say that's what we want.

Then review the list several times a day for a few weeks and daily for a few months at least.

It is the FIRST step Judith Beck recommends in her books. I skipped the step for years, but it was integral when I started No S nearly six years ago.

You have lots of incentive to find a reasonable way to manage all the food that's available.

Just want to say there is nothing wrong with eating out. The trick is to change the habit so that you wait until all the food is in front of you and you can determine what is a reasonable plateful. You might find after awhile that you actually prefer this because it feels so good to take the first few bites, and you want to keep your appetite sharp for the entree. At least that's the way I feel. I like to have salad, but not first. Ask for a container right away and put extra in there even before you start in on your wonderful plate of food.

Takes some changing but if we do what we've always done, we'll get what we've always gotten.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)