airmail's 21 day check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

la tortue

airmail's 21 day check-in

Post by la tortue » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:41 pm

No worrying about overfilled plates, calories, nutrition or any of that jazz. Just working on getting the habit down and avoiding extremes.

Day 1: S Day

I'm not a breakfast eater.

Lunch-3 scrambled eggs w/ cheese and veggies, 2 slices buttered toast, raspberries

Dinner-half a red baron pepperoni pizza, raspberries, 2 little Debbie swiss cake rolls

SO and I have different working and eating schedules. During the week I hardly see him so no problems there, but on the weekends it can lead to overeating. I get hungry and eat my lunch at the usual time while he's still sleeping. He ends up eating a few hours later and will offer me some of whatever he's having. Even if I'm truly not hungry I can still be tempted. Yesterday it was chicken drummies and little Debbie snack cakes. I said no thanks (ended up eating the little Debbie with dinner which is perfectly fine for an s day). For moderation sake, it's important that I stick to my own eating schedule.

He also offered to buy me a soda later in the day which I declined. I just cannot do soda in moderation. Like cigarettes, it's best for me to abstain.
Last edited by la tortue on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amy C.

Re: airmail's 21 day check-in

Post by Amy C. » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:01 pm

airmail wrote:No worrying about overfilled plates, calories, nutrition or any of that jazz. Just working on getting the habit down and avoiding extremes.

Day 1: S Day

I'm not a breakfast eater.

Lunch-3 scrambled eggs w/ cheese and veggies, 2 slices buttered toast, raspberries

Dinner-half a red baron pepperoni pizza, raspberries, 2 little Debbie swiss cake rolls

SO and I have different working and eating schedules. During the week I hardly see him so no problems there, but on the weekends it can lead to overeating. I get hungry and eat my lunch at the usual time while he's still sleeping. He ends up eating a few hours later and will offer me some of whatever he's having. Even if I'm truly not hungry I can still be tempted. Yesterday it was chicken drummies and little Debbie snack cakes. I said no thanks (ended up eating the little Debbie with dinner which is perfectly fine for an s day). For moderation sake, it's important that I stick to my own eating schedule.

He also offered to buy me a soda later in the day which I declined. I just cannot do soda in moderation. Like cigarettes, it's best for me to abstain.
Good luck on getting the habit down! Good choice on leaving out the soda - even on an S day.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:47 am

Hi airmail, I get the different eating schedule problem! I went about it by eating a smaller meal in the morning and then eat with my boyfriend when he's up. So I'll often only have a handful of berries in the morning. But sticking to your own schedule is just as well.

In general though, remember that weekends are S days and you can't fail on S days :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:47 pm

Day 2: S Day

L-1/4 red baron pepperoni pizza, slice of bread w almond butter, raspberries

D-rice, ground beef and veggies, raspberries, 1/2 pint milk, large chocolate chip cookie, plus the dough that was left on the spoon and bowl when baking

Thanks, Amy. Good luck to you too. I see you started not too long ago as well.

You're right, eschano. You can't fail on s days. Ha! I kind of forgot that I could eat between meals on s days. I very rarely snacked last time I no s-ed. It wasn't even something I consciously decided. My s days just always looked like n days with sweets added and occasionally seconds. If I truly want a snack though there's no reason to deprive myself.

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Day 3: Success

L-turkey and swiss sandwich, baby carrots, banana

D-rice, ground beef and veggies, banana

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:49 pm

Day 4: Success

L-turkey and swiss sandwich, baby carrots, banana

D-rice, ground beef and veggies, banana with almond butter

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:27 am

Doing well! I like your dinner- simple and nice.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:40 pm

Day 5: Success

l-turkey and swiss sandwich, banana w almond butter

d-ham steak, cooked baby carrots w butter, 1/2 Portuguese roll w butter

My meals have to be simple, eschano. To match my cooking skill level. :wink: Luckily, I do enjoy simple food as well.

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:47 pm

Day 6: Success

l-turkey and swiss sandwich, lots of grapes

d-ham steak, cooked baby carrots w butter, 1/2 Portuguese roll w butter

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:47 pm

Day 7: Success

l-almond butter sandwich, remainder of the deli turkey, a few baby carrots

d-canned beef stew, grapes

Friday was my last day of work. I will have the next week off before I start my new job. I will be working nights, so must get my sleeping and eating schedule switched over. SO and I will be on the same schedule and will be seeing much more of each other. This means getting to enjoy meals together more often.

SO has what I'd call (and I'm not saying this to be critical) a childlike taste in food... chicken strips, mac and cheese, doritos, frozen pizza and the like. I enjoy these things too, but I'm fond of those classic meat, starch and vegetable dinners. He used to eat Totino's pizza rolls on a regular basis. One day (probably over a year ago now) I casually brought up the fact that they do not contain real cheese, but soy processed to taste like it. Being a great lover of cheese he was not very happy about that and hasn't bought them since. He even makes dismissive remarks anytime a commercial for them comes on tv. :lol:

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:21 pm

Day 8: S Day

s-microwave potato chips (made w half a medium potato + coconut oil)

l-2 large slices of cheese pizza, 2 small donuts, glass of milk

d-baked chicken breast, cooked broccoli, 2 breadsticks

Eating doesn't feel as organized as I try to shift to a new schedule. Tried to sleep in as late as I could which was only 8:30am. I got hungry about six hours later which is in keeping with my usual sleeping/eating pattern. I wasn't sure what I wanted to eat so started making these microwave potato chips I've been wanting to try (http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/201 ... chips.html). They didn't turn out too well for me. I probably wouldn't make them again.

While making said chips SO walks in, offers me some donuts and says he's ordering a pizza with breadsticks and soda. I suddenly feel anxious with these food choices. I start to worry that being around him more I'll be constantly bombarded with junkfood and won't be able to keep myself from binging. I take a deep breath and decide to take things as they come. I remind myself that today is an s day and I can eat what I want. I enjoyed the day without going wild.

But even if I had gone wild it would still be ok. Some days I will eat more, some days less. That's normal eating.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:15 am

Good luck adjusting to your new schedule!

Remember, your food choices will also influence your SO so he might end up eating a bit healthier as well and on S days - go for it!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 pm

So true, eschano!

Day 9: S Day

l-At Sonic: jr. double cheeseburger, medium fry, vanilla dish

d-baked chicken breast, breadstick, grapes, glass of milk

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Hi! I thought I would drop by your check in, too. I like your simple meals. Most of my meals are simple, also. I just started learning how to cook about 1.5 years ago. I hope you get adjusted to your new schedule fairly quickly.

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Day 10: Success

l-baked chicken breast, 1/2 almond butter sandwich, grapes

d-2 strips bacon, fried cabbage, pretzel roll

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:53 pm

Day 11: Failure

l-cheddarwurst w/ bun, 2.5 oz bag bbq potato chips, grapes, glass of milk

s-3 handfuls of chocolate chips

d-2 strips bacon, fried egg and veggies, piece of toast, grapes

Aw, my first red day to report. Rather than start over at day 1, I'll just continue on with day 12 and tally up days on habit at the end of the three weeks. I won't be illegible for the 21 club that way, but I can live with that. :)

I was quite hungry at lunch. I dumped the bag of potato chips on the plate and thought, "That is a gluttonous amount. That's too much." But I wanted them so I ate them. Afterwards I felt a little guilty. I wasn't sure whether the day was still green or not. Plus, I still wanted to eat more. I considered binging. I started eating the chocolate. Trust me, I could have eaten the entire bag, but I stopped myself after three handfuls. Then I felt horribly guilty and on the verge of a full on binge for a couple hours... But it passed. I ate dinner as I normally would. Everything was cool. 8)

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:07 pm

If the chips at lunch were on the plate, then I wouldn't consider it a fail. And, although yesterday was a NoS fail, you had quite the success with not binging and succumbing to the WTH effect - great job!

You aren't ever going to be perfect, and you don't need to be! Mark it and move on. Keep up the great work!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 am

I think that's a good way of doing it. I only made the 21 day club once or twice but I got other brilliant results from NoS. And every N day that is green is a day that sees a completely different way of relating to food than I did pre-NoS :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Licota

Post by Licota » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:22 am

Great work! Chips are however a huuuge trigger for me.. I can't stop!! So I avoid it. Don't feel guilty, you didn't binge. You moved on. Good job =)
Live in Oslo, Norway

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:57 pm

Thank you so much aspencer, eschano and Licota for your encouraging words!

Day 12: Success

l-3 scrambled eggs w cheese, corn tortilla, 2 radishes, small banana

d-toasted bacon sandwich, cooked broccoli w butter, small banana

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:05 pm

I'm sick and haven't been focusing on no s at all. :oops:

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:35 am

Sick days are S days. Get better!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

la tortue

Post by la tortue » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:51 am

Although I haven't been using this daily check-in thread I have continued to No S. I stepped on the scale this morning and I see that I have lost 11 pounds since September 7. (Note: I'm still 50 pounds overweight, so I lose weight rather fast to start.) That's less than four weeks and not 100% on habit either, there were a few red days in there. In case anyone was in doubt, you do not have to be perfect to see results!

Klutzy68

Post by Klutzy68 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi Airmail, congratulations on your weight loss! Looks like you've pretty much ingrained the habit by now. I hope you've adjusted to your new schedule too. I'm glad you posted again; when people disappear it makes me a little nervous about the program.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Great progress! As you noted the weight loss will slow down, but the sanity of following No S habits is worth it regardless of the losses.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:26 am

Congrats on the weight loss!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:56 am

Fantastic! Well done :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016