KMCS check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

KMCS

KMCS check-in

Post by KMCS » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:52 pm

So today is my first check in with this board. I started no S on Wednesday last week, because I thought I would more likely have a successful week if I didn't have to wait 5 whole days until I could snack and have sweets. Today, my first Monday, and would love to have some snack. I won't because I am sure that just cutting out snacks and sweets 5 days a week will take care of my gradual weight gain that has me at 5'2" and 173 pounds. This post is just to have a little accountability started.

gwenkkelly

Post by gwenkkelly » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 am

Good for you! The snacking temptation gets so much easier. In the meantime, remember you can have drinks between meals (try not to go too sweet with these, but there are no actual rules). Glasses of milk or lattes between meals really got me through the first couple of weeks. You can do this. Post early and often for accountability. :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:27 am

Welcome & GL! I started my first NoS day on a Friday-- definitely the way to go!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:13 am

Welcome! I echo gwenkkelly - hot drinks are the way to break the habit.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Glad to have you on board! I definitely found that when I started and re-started that snacking was really just a habit that I needed to break. I would do it to have something to do, even if I really wasn't hungry. Tracking really helps a lot, and not being hard on yourself helps the most! You won't be perfect on this plan, and you don't need to be. Good luck!

KMCS

I made it thru the first full week and a day!

Post by KMCS » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Thank you all for the support! I have been drinking water and tea all week, each time I really wanted a snack I just went and grabbed a glass/cup to drink. I found myself really wanting a snack each afternoon...probably why I am posting now. It really is a habit. I even said no twice today when pushed to eat at meetings. I said no before lunch that I didn't want to ruin my appetite, that I had a yummy lunch planned...and later when pushed again, I said I really don't feel like that right now.

Truth is a couple of weeks ago, I would have had both snacks just because they were offered! So feeling really good!

Thanks again!

KMCS

Almost to week 3...

Post by KMCS » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:33 pm

I didn't check in last week. I had two red days, so not a particularly great week...but I just started up the next day like it didn't happen and that has been better for me than any other eating plan, I would have normally beat myself up a bit and thought I had to start over as day 1.

Even when I'm not posting, I am reading your posts...so thanks to everyone who does post. You are all so honest with your struggles and successes...it truly helps me too!

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Great job! You had 3 successes last week, and got back on track after fails! I'd consider that a success overall. Try not to focus on the fails, they are just a tracking tool. You are ahead of where you would be otherwise, and this week will be even better. Good luck!